DWTS: Season 18 General Discussion

Comments

• camy934camy934 Posts: 1,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fridgesoup wrote: »
    9 is a good score isn't it? :confused: Seem to remember Len starting to explain himself, being interrupted and then saying, 'I'll leave it there'. Was that for James? (can't remember). I wonder if he just didn't want to say anything negative. To be honest, what kind of useful critique could Len offer on a dub-step/martial arts mash-up?!! :p. Personally I thought it was disjointed and a bit ugly and didn't show anything he'd learned over the season. I also thought the 'streety,' hard edged feel to the thing was at odds with his clean cut image and good-boy persona. James did a good jive and I think his contemporary and salsa were not bad. I wish they'd maybe worked up something from those. That said, I didn't absolutely love any of the freestyles, sadly :(.

• memmhmemmh Posts: 14,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    camy934 wrote: »
    My favourite DWTS freestyle was Melissa Rycroft & Tony Dovolani in the All-Stars series. Of course, that was before they added contemporary to the dance styles. so it stood out as something different back them.
  • StrictlyEastendStrictlyEastend Posts: 35,455
    Forum Member
    I cannot believe Candace is still here over James and Charlie. :(
    She is good but not as good as them or the other finalists.

Come on Meryl. :)
  • karina_karina_ Posts: 965
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I cannot believe Candace is still here over James and Charlie. :(
    She is good but not as good as them or the other finalists.

Come on Meryl. :)

BIB - Or Danica
  • Mr_XcXMr_XcX Posts: 23,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    memmh wrote: »
    My favourite DWTS freestyle was Melissa Rycroft & Tony Dovolani in the All-Stars series. Of course, that was before they added contemporary to the dance styles. so it stood out as something different back them.

That was one of my faves too.

Melissa is one of the best winner. Shawn was bending the rules and I was dreading they would win so it was a great result.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    camy934 wrote: »

Yes they were robbed. The same as Meryl and Maks will be robbed tonight if they are beaten by Derek and Amy with the sympathy vote. Amy is good, but over-scored the entire season. And much as I love Candace, this is a dance competition and she is not the best dancer, though I will give her most improved. If she wins over Meryl that is just wrong.

Meryl and Maks' tango last night was classic perfection and their chemistry in the freestyle came through the screen. JMO, but I do hope they win.
  • Mr_XcXMr_XcX Posts: 23,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So happy with the result. Meryl wins <333

Also sad Len said he might leave the show. But I hope he just focuses on SCD cause he has health issues doing DWTS and SCD both at same time :(
  • Prime!Prime! Posts: 690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How long till Boris and Oleg are born then?
  • DamahepaDamahepa Posts: 14,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bit annoyed people keep saying it was "Maks' time to win" . It should have been about Amy, Meryl and Candace, not their pros. I did like Meryl, and she was clearly the best dancer, so I'm not complaining about the result, but I'd have liked the win to have been about Meryl, not about Maks. Same reason I get annoyed that everyone complains that Derek has won 5 times. Be that as it may, Amber, Kellie, Nicole, Jennifer and Brooke only have 1, it's about them, not the pros! Meryl's victory should be because of her own talent, not because her pro hadn't won as many mirror balls as Derek/Mark/Peta.

(Also, not strictly relevant, but just to comment above, Zendaya wasn't robbed, she was a trained dancer and never wore heels, which isn't adapting to the ballroom style)
  • j4Rosej4Rose Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member
    Damahepa wrote: »
    Bit annoyed people keep saying it was "Maks' time to win" . It should have been about Amy, Meryl and Candace, not their pros. I did like Meryl, and she was clearly the best dancer, so I'm not complaining about the result, but I'd have liked the win to have been about Meryl, not about Maks. Same reason I get annoyed that everyone complains that Derek has won 5 times. Be that as it may, Amber, Kellie, Nicole, Jennifer and Brooke only have 1, it's about them, not the pros! Meryl's victory should be because of her own talent, not because her pro hadn't won as many mirror balls as Derek/Mark/Peta.

(Also, not strictly relevant, but just to comment above, Zendaya wasn't robbed, she was a trained dancer and never wore heels, which isn't adapting to the ballroom style)

Meryl was trained too; like Kristi and Nicole and many others, she shouldn't really have been on the show.

I'm glad Derek didn't win again and the best dancer won, but the scores are absolutely ridiculous and meaningless now.
  • DamahepaDamahepa Posts: 14,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    j4Rose wrote: »
    Meryl was trained too; like Kristi and Nicole and many others, she shouldn't really have been on the show.

I'm glad Derek didn't win again and the best dancer won, but the scores are absolutely ridiculous and meaningless now.

Again- why should Derek winning impact on Amy? If she'd have won nobody could say she didn't deserve it (as much as I agree, the marking for all couples has been ludicrous!) but rather than comment on Amy they'd have whinged about Derek winning, which isn't right.
  • Lili27Lili27 Posts: 2,950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find myself wondering if Meryl had been paired with Derek if the public would have still voted for her for the win? Complained about the unfairness of it all? Would Derek have held her back based on the public contempt for him?

And the same if Amy had been paired with Maks? Would it have been sympathy votes from the Maks fans who complained bitterly about the sympathy votes?

As I recall Maks told Annie Barrett (a very popular blogger who is definitely a supporter of Maks and Val as the best pros) that a woman could never win DWTS because "women only vote for cute guys." I am not sure where he is with that theory now.

Or if Amy had been paired with the wonderful Tristan because Derek sat out the season. Same result, same stuff said on the various message boards and twitter about her? It is hard to say but I suspect the public might not have been as hard on her with Tristan as they were with Derek especially if Tristan had a real shot at winning or making the finals.
  • j4Rosej4Rose Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member
    Again- why should Derek winning impact on Amy? If she'd have won nobody could say she didn't deserve it (as much as I agree, the marking for all couples has been ludicrous!) but rather than comment on Amy they'd have whinged about Derek winning, which isn't right.

The judges are usually very generous when they score Derek, which is extremely unfair. It's unfair, but of course the pro matters in the equation.
  • fridgesoupfridgesoup Posts: 17,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Agree with all of this (although - depending on where you read ;-) - there are Derek zealots who credit him entirely with Amber, Kellie etc's wins and slightly leave those ladies out of the equation, so it cuts both ways). This season has been very polarising between the fan groups and I've found it exhausting and a little depressing (not here especially, but reading elsewhere). I've always admired Derek and what he does on the show and in the past I've adored Maks, but I really hope they both leave. I've always watched more for the pros than the celebs, but the idea of 'star pros' is out of control now and the celebs are incidental. No dancer should be bigger than the show.

Lili - I'm sure you're right. Amy and Meryl were just collateral damage in the fanwarz...^_^
  • kp2nikp2ni Posts: 1,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree with all of this (although - depending on where you read ;-) - there are Derek zealots who credit him entirely with Amber, Kellie etc's wins and slightly leave those ladies out of the equation, so it cuts both ways). This season has been very polarising between the fan groups and I've found it exhausting and a little depressing (not here especially, but reading elsewhere). I've always admired Derek and what he does on the show and in the past I've adored Maks, but I really hope they both leave. I've always watched more for the pros than the celebs, but the idea of 'star pros' is out of control now and the celebs are incidental. No dancer should be bigger than the show.

Lili - I'm sure you're right. Amy and Meryl were just collateral damage in the fanwarz...^_^

I agree with this. I always been a fan of both Derek & Maks but I'm sick of all the arguments about who deserves to win and nastiness directed in every direction. No one should be bigger than the show. Both Meryl and Amy deserved to win. As for Derek and Maks leaving it will probably just move to Mark & Val and can't see Tristan coming back anytime soon.

The show needs to go back to basic and focus on ballroom dances. One paso seriously?!? :confused:

I liked Meryl and Maks freestyle but wow a ice dancer can do contemporary wow! There's a surprise! I didn't think he push her enough. I liked Derek and Amy's but it was a rehash of their contemporary dance. The ending was incredible Amy has some upper body strength and it was stunning but had little to do with dancing. Mark & Candace's was a hot mess - lifts was repetitive and it was almost like they were marking it probably due to the injury. James was too full on a hiphop dustep twirling baton number just didnt work for me and I didn't particularly think any of them had much ballroom in it. If you already do a contemporary during a season I don't see what makes a contemporary freestyle unique, difference or all that special tbh I understood when Maks & Erin did one as it was difference and was another dance to learn but now a lot of the pros are already adding contemporary /more lyrical moves into their weekly dances. I like freestyle that are unique or show the contestant's development through the show or show the couple's partnership.

People were talking earlier in this thread about their favourite freestyles well for me whenever anyone mentions freestyle & dwts one comes to mind & that is Mark and Shawn. I remember I wasn't a big fan of them i liked their quickstep I think it was to smily faces and their cha cha but didn't want them to win or didn't think they had a chance to win until their freestyle. It was superb - the mix of styles, the music, the costumes, their partnership it just worked and it won them the title.

Anyways back to this season...

Mark & Candace quickstep was ok. Though James's tango was good but his tango with Cheryl was the only ballroom dance I liked him doing the whole season anyways so it wasn't a big surprise as for the kiss well anyways not into showmances and how is Brant anyways :D thought Amy danced the salsa better with Mark as theirs had more contents and less gimmicky lifts and thought Meryl danced a better Argentine tango with Val yet again more contents.

The fusions on the second nights - loved them all and the dances were all so much better than the freestyle and showed more development and more connection between the couples. It showed both the contestants and the pro in the best light.

Hope whoever comes in and whoever comes and goes whether pros or judges I hope the show returns to its ballroom roots. I thought it was a fantastic cast this season full of potential but let down by poor partnership, poor judging, too many gimmicks/themes, bad guest judging -Redfoo and Abby lee I talking about you here and lack of proper ballroom dancing.

Nene dancing without Tony to the song she performed with Derek and Cody's performance spoke volumes. Poor charlie (re: umbrella) he really is jinked when it comes to props. Thought Danica was great love that routine anyways. Thought Charlie & Meryl were brilliant together but that's hardly surprising.
  • kp2nikp2ni Posts: 1,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:D couldn't stop laughing at this, even though she wasn't the best dancer last season I liked her and tony together and this shows why they seem to be great friends.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kp2ni wrote: »
    The fusions on the second nights - loved them all and the dances were all so much better than the freestyle and showed more development and more connection between the couples. It showed both the contestants and the pro in the best light.

Hope whoever comes in and whoever comes and goes whether pros or judges I hope the show returns to its ballroom roots. I thought it was a fantastic cast this season full of potential but let down by poor partnership, poor judging, too many gimmicks/themes, bad guest judging -Redfoo and Abby lee I talking about you here and lack of proper ballroom dancing.

Agree with a lot of what you said about this season and the finals, but especially the BIB. Maks didn't fuse the two dances the way the others did, but I still really liked it (especially the foxtrot part - Meryl was gorgeous in it). Would have been nice if one or two of the freestyles had been along those lines but we had 2 contemporary numbers, one disco and one hipperty-hopperty thing. None of them had anything to do with the basic premise of the show :(. I don't hold out too much hope of the show getting back to its roots, but maybe the new producer will surprise us all ;-).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Meryl, Maks, Tony, Val and Jenna celebrating victory in NYC
    (Allegedly Val and Jenna are dating and Meryl and Maks are not)
  • Daily DreamsDaily Dreams Posts: 1,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just caught up with the finale, I'm so happy Maks has finally won :D him and Meryl were great! Amy deserved to be runner-up, she's been an inspiration for so many people and it's about time Derek was knocked off his post :cool: In my opinion I'm glad Candace finished in third rather than James. She started to get better and better towards the end and got much further in the competition than I ever thought she would! Great series :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://instagram.com/p/oZDg-iojfc/ 'Bout time Val got a haircut ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://instagram.com/p/oR9ZEVqEZc/ Chmerkovskiy clan plus Meryl (and Jenna ;-))
  • memmhmemmh Posts: 14,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    According to the Daily Fail, Maks is dating Jennifer Lopez. Two egos in one relationship... I wonder how long that will last?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2656263/Jennifer-Lopez-dating-Maksim-Chmerkovskiy-amid-claims-drove-Casper-Smart-away-fitness-obsession.html
  • Lili27Lili27 Posts: 2,950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to change the subject...

I remember reading that Conrad said it was getting harder and harder to cast the show. I imagine celebs turn it down because they don't want the public berating on twitter and boards etc. which is part of the deal.

Yet they only seem to want football players and not really other sports as far as sportsmen. Although they did try hockey with Sean Avery but there are a lot more hockey players to woo.

I was thinking with the World Cup going on why wouldn't they approach one of the US players after the games have ended? It would be good casting IMO.

They have never had a major league baseball player either. In baseball you have to be coordinated and athletic to play well (although I know it does not necessarily guarantee rhythm). Evan Longoria (not be confused with Eva) has said he is interested and would do the show if he were pursuaded. He is 28, very athletic and sort of boy next door attractive. I would love to see someone like him paired with Emma.

I just wonder how DWTS does their casting.
  • karina_karina_ Posts: 965
    Forum Member
    ✭✭