Options

BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

Comments

• Options
    dave2702dave2702 Posts: 2,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wns_195 wrote: »

There will be news coverage available for those regions in their own media.

Unfortunately not here in the US where the coverage was largely "Were any Americans aboard the plane? And now Baseball results" so that "Rights Restrictions Prevent us from bringing you the current programmer" message was v annoying until I remembered by Proxy address ☺
  • Options
    Nick GNick G Posts: 1,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unlucky for 5 live that a major news story broke during the Open championship while a test match was on sports extra. But it further exposed the folly of not moving the film review slot from Friday afternoons in the new schedule - its current timeslot just complicates things further in such a situation.
  • Options
    Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought Eleanor Oldroyd was very poor this morning on 5 Live Breakfast when she was interviewing a couple of relatives of the British people who died on the plane including the father of one of the victims. She came across as sounding cold and uninterested and seemed to be struggling to think of what to ask next and was asking ridiculous questions such as asking the father "who do you think was to blame?" and "how did you find out he had died". How on earth would the father know who was responsible?

I liked Eleanor when she presented the sport on a Sunday but on a news programme she comes across as a poor interviewer.
  • Options
    Phil AnderPhil Ander Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well it was better than Stig Abel and Petrie Hosken on LBC who lambasted various countries for not doing anything about the plane crash without giving any clue as to what they expected to be done. They also cut off callers who pointed this out.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another chance for Campbell to sing "I belong to Glasgae" and play at being Scotch.
  • Options
    radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another chance for Campbell to sing "I belong to Glasgae" and play at being Scotch.

When the BBC is good it's brilliant. Otherwise...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's Campbell playing at being a Scot not Scotch - Scotch is the drink. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's Campbell playing at being a Scot not Scotch - Scotch is the drink. :)

or Beef:)
  • Options
    Lone DrinkerLone Drinker Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Congratulations to Evan Davis on getting the Newsnight job. Looking forward to a personable, knowledgeable presenter able to think on his feet and conduct interviews that aren't kept within tabloid type editorial boundaries.
  • Options
    atgatg Posts: 4,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    or Beef:)
    And egg. Not to mention rumours. :D
  • Options
    wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No need to turn on my television and ttune to channel 85 if I want to know what Russia Today is broadcasting any more. RT employees are now invited to pollute the BBC's broadcasts with their pro-Putin propaganda. Apparently the guy from RT who was on Your Call had been on 5 Live before. If he was paid by the BBC for his appearance, that raises serious ethical questions.
  • Options
    curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No need to turn on my television and ttune to channel 85 if I want to know what Russia Today is broadcasting any more. RT employees are now invited to pollute the BBC's broadcasts with their pro-Putin propaganda. Apparently the guy from RT who was on Your Call had been on 5 Live before. If he was paid by the BBC for his appearance, that raises serious ethical questions.

I agree .
  • Options
    dave2702dave2702 Posts: 2,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's the same type of argument for the Climate Change debate, in an issue to provide both view points you make it sound as if the counter-argument has more weight than it really has

I know it's not a 5Live policy it does seem bizarre that the BBC are claiming the plane was "allegedly" shot-down by "alleged" Russian Backed Militia-men
  • Options
    wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dave2702 wrote: »
    It's the same type of argument for the Climate Change debate, in an issue to provide both view points you make it sound as if the counter-argument has more weight than it really has

I know it's not a 5Live policy it does seem bizarre that the BBC are claiming the plane was "allegedly" shot-down by "alleged" Russian Backed Militia-men

This isn't about having representatives with different views on the radio. This is about a propaganda channel which I can watch on Freeview, TV Player and the channel's website getting to use the BBC to spread its propaganda. If I wanted to access that channel's content I would do so via that channel. I tune to the BBC to access the BBC's content.

I cannot get any news channel on Freeview that exists specifically to spread propaganda in favour of or against climate change theories.
  • Options
    radioviewerradioviewer Posts: 762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How the hell can Radio 5 Live Sport justify 20 hours a day of Commonwealth Games "action"? I really hope that no major story breaks in the next week or so because what are they going to do?

"Well 1 million people have died today in a nuclear attack, but we are back to Glasgow for the qualifying of the Veladrome trials....."
  • Options
    chandlerpchandlerp Posts: 4,958
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    5Live is now just a slow motion car crash.
  • Options
    streaky-baconstreaky-bacon Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    chandlerp wrote: »
    5Live is now just a slow motion car crash.

What is this garbage on 5 live at the moment?
  • Options
    FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How the hell can Radio 5 Live Sport justify 20 hours a day of Commonwealth Games "action"? I really hope that no major story breaks in the next week or so because what are they going to do?

"Well 1 million people have died today in a nuclear attack, but we are back to Glasgow for the qualifying of the Veladrome trials....."
    As you said....Radio 5 Live Sport. It's become a sports station first, news second The only thing they haven't done yet is officially admit it, but that's only a matter of time. Has there been a wicket at the cricket?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FrankBT wrote: »
    As you said....Radio 5 Live Sport. It's become a sports station first, news second The only thing they haven't done yet is officially admit it, but that's only a matter of time. Has there been a wicket at the cricket?

Apparently Peter Allen denied recently that 5 Live was "sport focused" but you can see constantly with the schedules that it is undoubtedly a sport station now. News isn't even second fiddle, but third or fourth.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently Peter Allen denied recently that 5 Live was "sport focused" but you can see constantly with the schedules that it is undoubtedly a sport station now. News isn't even second fiddle, but third or fourth.

It bloody well is sport focused. >:( From their trivial sport phone ins to the hours and hours of sports coverge - it's a wannabe Talksport these days.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Usual 5 live tactic of bringing in a comedian (in this case Scotchman Fred MacAuley) to dumb things down and make them more accessible - as they did with PMQs for a while.
  • Options
    curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I wondered the same ! 5 Live's just going to be wall to wall Commonwealth Games for the next 10 days, I can't stand it :o
  • Options
    Ian AberdonIan Aberdon Posts: 2,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Usual 5 live tactic of bringing in a comedian (in this case Scotchman Fred MacAuley) to dumb things down and make them more accessible - as they did with PMQs for a while.

Fred was on PMQs as well?? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    curmy wrote: »
    I wondered the same ! 5 Live's just going to be wall to wall Commonwealth Games for the next 10 days, I can't stand it :o

This could be the final nail in the coffin. There cant be too many people who specifically tune in for the Games. Those at home that interestex would probably switch the "box" on. Rajar will tell the story...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Commonwealth Games are not even second fiddle to the Olympics. It doesn't deserve this ridiculous over kill - I wonder what stories will be buried by the Beeb during the next ten days?
This discussion has been closed.