1970s childhood...

Comments

• balthasarbalthasar Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone else remember watching 'How We Used To Live' at school?

The telly on a very tall stand used to be wheeled into the classroom. It fell over once, that was exciting.

I remember the show, the series we watched was set in Victorian times and really interesting, The TV on a stand with fold out wings to keep the light off the screen could merit a thread in itself.:)
  • FrillynixFrillynix Posts: 6,497
    Forum Member
    Monty Python particularly the parrot sketch

The water safety advertisement where the cartoon guy with the knotted hankie on his head shouts "cooooeee Petunia"

Rowan and Martin laugh in on a Sunday night

Oxford bags half way up your legs like the Bay City Rollers

Aztec bars

Ol Jamaica chocolate

Spangles

Tabu perfume

The High Chapparral, I loved Blue Boy

Alias Smith and Jones

Western series with Tim Matheson and kurt Russell, forgotten the name

Tippy Tumbles over and over

Tiny Tears

Thumbellina
    Forum Member
    Forgot to add the Hunny Monster, dont forget the honey mummy
  • balthasarbalthasar Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nearly forgot adverts for Hai Karate after shave, the birds went wild for a man wearing that stuff., makes Lynx ads look tame.

Not that I was old enough to enjoy it's effects.:D
  • ninz39ninz39 Posts: 638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Collecting empty beer and pop bottles and taking them back to the pub to get the penny deposit back, then going straight to the sweet shop. Candy shrimps and bananas tasted better back then and the jelly snakes you could actually chew. Sweets these days are too soft and not as tasty.
    We found an old air raid shelter one day but ladder was rotton so we never explored it, I often wonder what we would have found down there. It was an exciting time.
  • ninz39ninz39 Posts: 638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And the cinema, you could go in and stay in there all day, no one would oik you out after one showing. And there were two films not one.......and in the interval the ice cream lady would come out with choc ices and lollies. For some reason we always seemed to arrive as the main film was ending so we watched the ending before the beginning!
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved growing up in the 70s
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    motsy wrote: »

Yep, still got my Gargon and Intruder, my Space Ranger Action Man's rubber space suit has perished a bit now though.

Love the Tom Baker voice over!
    Forum Member
    balthasar wrote: »
    Nearly forgot adverts for Hai Karate after shave, the birds went wild for a man wearing that stuff., makes Lynx ads look tame.

Not that I was old enough to enjoy it's effects.:D

Haha you have just reminded me of the Manakin cigar ad with the beautiful exotic woman
    rubbing the tobacco leaf!:D
  • JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I miss all the old independent ITV companies that we used to call by their regional names & not ITV as it is now.

I used to love it when my dad would tune in the TV to pick up HTV Wales, so that we could watch things that weren't on Granada.

This was my local ITV channel.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned Evel Knievel yet. This youtube video sums up my experience with the Evel Knievel toy. The advert shows him doing amazing jumps, but footage of a kid playing with it reveals how rubbish it usually was.

Anyone remember Space Dust? Thought it was magic how it used to fizz and pop in your mouth.
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This was my local ITV channel.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned Evel Knievel yet. This youtube video sums up my experience with the Evel Knievel toy. The advert shows him doing amazing jumps, but footage of a kid playing with it reveals how rubbish it usually was.

Anyone remember Space Dust? Thought it was magic how it used to fizz and pop in your mouth.

In the 70s, this was ours and it brings back so many memories!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7tNvH28HR4
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Pretty awesome if you do it from a third-floor window. Position it in front of an annual book resting on a pencil case. Crank it. It'll fly through air. Sometimes it'd make an impressive two-turn spin in the mid-air. It was fun. Well, it was fun until it landed on someone's head below.
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love this thread and all the contributions so come back for more!

Lemon Curd sandwiches.
    Banana sandwiches. (of course could still have those, but they remind me of Saturday teatimes back then)
    The Six Million Dollar Man doll (Sorry, 'action figure') with bionic implants and telescopic eye who could lift an engine if you pressed a button. A lot.
    The 'Mystery' books with Fatty and the gang by Gnid Blyton (that's what I thought she was called for ages because of her signature)
    Tiger and Scorcher, which then led to Roy of the Rovers comic.

Did have action man, but was more interested in my Lone Ranger, Tonto and Butch Cavendish dolls for some reason. SORRY AGAIN! Action Figures. ;-) Something to do with Wagon Wheels promotion, I think? Long time ago. And the Seventies was when Wagon Wheels were BIG. They've shrunk since.

Ahhh, halcyon days.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    electricity rationed
    sugar shortage
    baker`s strikes
    hanging about waiting for my mother to pick a pattern in wool shops.
  • Gripper StebsonGripper Stebson Posts: 1,441
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the late 70's I remember watching the quiz show Winner Takes All on ITV at 7pm, followed by what I was really looking forward to at 7:30pm The Incredible Hulk
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the late 70's I remember watching the quiz show Winner Takes All on ITV at 7pm, followed by what I was really looking forward to at 7:30pm The Incredible Hulk

How could I have forgotten Grange Hill. The era of Tucker Jenkins and Tricia Yates. :p
  • miaowmiaow Posts: 8,495
    Forum Member
    Children of the Stones, one of my all-time fave tv series
    Ace of Wands (Tarot man, Tarot banana man :D)

there were so many good spooky kids tv shows - Come Back Lucy, The Clifton House mystery, Echoes of Louisa etc.

Flat Matt wrote: »
    That crappy Mastermind game with the little coloured pegs and holes.
    lotty27 wrote: »

I loved that :blush:

We still play it! :blush::blush:
    Green eyeshadow

mmmm khaki green, sparkly green <3<3<3 - you can get away with so much more when you're 12 :D
    The 'Mystery' books with Fatty and the gang by Gnid Blyton (that's what I thought she was called for ages because of her signature)

I loved those! And all the boarding schooly ones. Good old Gnid :D
    Forum Member
    swap shop
    double deckers
    hair bear bunch
    elvis and cliff richard films on saturdays, sundays were war films and lassie.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Which programmes are those opening themes from?

1. A plain blue (?) background. Six (?) white daisy petals around a (maybe) yellow dot. A white bird flies round the yellow dot a couple of times. [Solved: The Good Life.]

2. An open glass box on a turning platform, covered with a purple velvet or silk material. [Solved: Picture Box.]

3. A long shot of someone coming out of a tube station. I think he's in a beige long coat and a black hat? I'm reasonably sure he has a shoulder bag. I associate my parents' laughter with this one, which suggests it's a comedy. [Solved: Citizen Smith]

4. A male face, in a fortune-telling glass ball, warping as he lets out a scream. Similar to the one in The X-Files. [Solved: Thriller.]

5. I'm pretty certain this is Australian. Usually Saturday mornings. A white, blue-eyed boy - approx. 10 years old - dresses like Tarzan, but can run fast like a cheetah or something like that. I think each episode revolves around a hunting team trying to capture him in the outback. I think he's a feral child? The music theme seems Aboriginal.
    Forum Member
    Takae wrote: »

1. A plain blue (?) background. Six (?) white daisy petals around a (maybe) yellow dot. A white bird flies round the yellow dot a couple of times.

the good life.
  • feckitfeckit Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cutting down a fork off a branch of a tree and making a catapult out of it and trying to hit those ceramic disc things on pylons. It was our version of clay pigeon shooting.

During the summer school holidays (it was always hot ;-) ) lots of junior/senior school back in the 70's had an outdoor swimming pool. After an evening game of football (jackets for goalposts) on the school asphalt we would climb over the pool fence take the covers off and have a good old swim and carry on till it got dark.

Breaking in and exploring old abandoned buildings, some of which use to scare the crap out of me especially the signs that said danger or trespassers will be shot.

Breaking in to new building sites to play chasing on the scaffolding.

Collecting the empties and taking them to the off license for pocket money.

Towards bonfire night we would make a Guy Fawkes and go around the pubs and ask "penny for the guy" to buy buy bangers. We would light the bangers and stick it up car exhausts, just before someone would drive away. It scared the crap out of the driver. Also we would carry old tyres, beds, wood, plastic anything that burned and take it to where the bonfire was going to be for bonfire night. I remember our neighbourhood making quite a few bonfires before the big night because some people couldn't wait and would light them up and we would have to start again.
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

1. A plain blue (?) background. Six (?) white daisy petals around a (maybe) yellow dot. A white bird flies round the yellow dot a couple of times.

2. An open glass box on a turning platform, covered with a purple velvet or silk material.

3. A long shot of someone coming out of a tube station. I think he's in a beige long coat and a black hat? I'm reasonably sure he has a shoulder bag. I associate my parents' laughter with this one, which suggests it's a comedy.

4. A male face, in a fortune-telling glass ball, warping as he lets out a scream. Similar to the one in The X-Files.

5. I'm pretty certain this is Australian. Usually Saturday mornings. A white, blue-eyed boy - approx. 10 years old - dresses like Tarzan, but can run fast like a cheetah or something like that. I think each episode revolves around a hunting team trying to capture him. I think he's a feral child? The music theme seems Aboriginal.

I initially thought 'Survivors' for 3. but that wasn't a barrel of laughs so....The Dick Emery Show'?

2. Is Picture Box, I reckon. Scary music. It's on Youtube but don't know how to do links!
  • RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

2. An open glass box on a turning platform, covered with a purple velvet or silk material.

3. A long shot of someone coming out of a tube station. I think he's in a beige long coat and a black hat? I'm reasonably sure he has a shoulder bag. I associate my parents' laughter with this one, which suggests it's a comedy.

4. A male face, in a fortune-telling glass ball, warping as he lets out a scream. Similar to the one in The X-Files.

5. I'm pretty certain this is Australian. Usually Saturday mornings. A white, blue-eyed boy - approx. 10 years old - dresses like Tarzan, but can run fast like a cheetah or something like that. I think each episode revolves around a hunting team trying to capture him. I think he's a feral child? The music theme seems Aboriginal.

Thriller - an hour long and a complete spooky story each time.

I think 3 might be Hancock's half hour, although that was earlier I think, maybe it was repeated.

Or it could be Harry Worth - who used to do that 'stand with your nose against the corner of a shop window and lift the one arm and leg up and down and it looks like both sides of you are doing it' thing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I initially thought 'Survivors' for 3. but that wasn't a barrel of laughs so....The Dick Emery Show'?

2. Is Picture Box, I reckon. Scary music. It's on Youtube but don't know how to do links!

It was a school programme? Really? I thought it might be a horror anthology series!

Not The Dick Emery Show. It had a sitcom feel to it.

Thanks, annette kurten. It's indeed The Good Life. Thanks. Edited: Rhumbatugger as well. I'm looking up Thriller now. :D
  • Gripper StebsonGripper Stebson Posts: 1,441
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boselecta wrote: »
    Playing on railway lines...

I remember one day at junior school in the late 70's(or might have actually been in the early 80's) the whole school going into the assembly hall to watch a public information film called Robbie about the dangers of playing on/near railway lines. And a local policeman was there too to talk additionally about this.