HDR-2000 Questions

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 44
Forum Member
Hi there,

I was going to post a few different threads, but thought I'd consolidate it into one to save space.

I recently swapped form a 9200T to a HDR-2000

I was reading in the manual that if you have a recording scheduled to start and you are watching another channel then a message will pop up informing you the recording is on soon. The manual said it will swap you over to this channel unless you cancel out. Is that right? If so, can that be turned off as it sounds very annoying. After all, I'm recording the program so I can watch it later. I'd hate to be out of the room when this happens, losing the program I was watching beforehand ( and any time-shift buffer that went with it)

Secondly, I have hooked this up to my wifi with the supplied dongle but keep getting messages that the TV Portal cannot be contacted. Is there anything extra I need to do to turn this on? The device has been assigned a DHCP address on my network, so it should be setup correctly.

Lastly, how does the Series Record work? If an episode is repeated later in the week does that also get recorded, or is the box clever enough to know it already has that episode?

Rob

Comments

• grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You only get the message if the channel you are currently watching will not be available when the 2nd recording is due to start. If you ignore the message (or are not in the room)the default is to switch the box to a channel that is and make the recording. With only 1 recording all channels are available anyway.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    Ah, that's great. The way it read was that it would swap to the recording that was about to commence.
  • Martin LiddleMartin Liddle Posts: 3,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robmonster wrote: »
    Secondly, I have hooked this up to my wifi with the supplied dongle but keep getting messages that the TV Portal cannot be contacted. Is there anything extra I need to do to turn this on? The device has been assigned a DHCP address on my network, so it should be setup correctly.
    What IP address, gateway and DNS has been assigned? What is the IP address of the router?
    Lastly, how does the Series Record work? If an episode is repeated later in the week does that also get recorded, or is the box clever enough to know it already has that episode?
    Providing the broadcaster has set the data up correctly then the repeats should not be recorded. Accurate recording works very well for us but is not completely infallible but then neither are the alternatives.
    Forum Member
    What IP address, gateway and DNS has been assigned? What is the IP address of the router?

All of that info seemed to be correct. I didn't have much time to play with it last night, so I'll double check this evening. I assume it should 'just work' ?
    Providing the broadcaster has set the data up correctly then the repeats should not be recorded. Accurate recording works very well for us but is not completely infallible but then neither are the alternatives.

Fab, thanks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All of that info seemed to be correct. I didn't have much time to play with it last night, so I'll double check this evening. I assume it should 'just work' ?
    Yes. Most of the reports of Internet access problems turn out to be some misconfiguration on the home network. However it could be a faulty dongle.
  • Kel280greenKel280green Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    My 2000T is performing well. It is much, much faster than my old HDR-FoxT2, quiter and reliable.
    The only issues I have with it are:-

1.The lack of an aerial loopthrough. I have a Panasonic TV with an inbuilt Freeview HD tuner and to watch this I now have to have the 2000T switched on. So in that case, its just as well to use it instead!
    Not a huge problem and I could use a splitter. But why? Why have Humax omitted something that has been part of all previous kit?

2.I cannot access the new VUTV service. Although there aren't great channels available, VUTV are currently doing a 14 day free trial. I thought I would give it a go only to see on the VUTV channel, 'you do not have a compatible receiver'!!!???!!!
    I understood that the 2000T WAS compatible, so whats going on?
    By the way, the 2000T is connected via ethernet to the internet.

Does anybody know if either of these issues will be sorted out? Although I would imagine number 2 must be!

Thanks.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    My 2000T is performing well. It is much, much faster than my old HDR-FoxT2, quiter and reliable.
    The only issues I have with it are:-

1.The lack of an aerial loopthrough. I have a Panasonic TV with an inbuilt Freeview HD tuner and to watch this I now have to have the 2000T switched on. So in that case, its just as well to use it instead!
    Not a huge problem and I could use a splitter. But why? Why have Humax omitted something that has been part of all previous kit?

2.I cannot access the new VUTV service. Although there aren't great channels available, VUTV are currently doing a 14 day free trial. I thought I would give it a go only to see on the VUTV channel, 'you do not have a compatible receiver'!!!???!!!
    I understood that the 2000T WAS compatible, so whats going on?
    By the way, the 2000T is connected via ethernet to the internet.

Does anybody know if either of these issues will be sorted out? Although I would imagine number 2 must be!

Thanks.
    On the t2 the pass through was disabled in economy mode.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    On the t2 the pass through was disabled in economy mode.

It seems that as this model does not have a clock display they forgot about the option to enable rf loopthrough in sby.
  • Max DemianMax Demian Posts: 1,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems that as this model does not have a clock display they forgot about the option to enable rf loopthrough in sby.
    How can they 'forget' about such a fundamental feature? Are you sure there isn't a hard-to-find option to allow it, at the expense of standby economy?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Max Demian wrote: »
    How can they 'forget' about such a fundamental feature? Are you sure there isn't a hard-to-find option to allow it, at the expense of standby economy?

Yes I am sure.

http://myhumax.org/forum/topic/hdr-2000t-no-loopthrough
    Forum Member

Ok, I had another go of this last night.

When I first tried to access theTV Portal I was told that thre was no network connection.

I went back into the Settings for networking and I could see the details of my wifi network were already entered ( i.e. the SSID, encryption type and a starred out password) . I pr3essed the Accept or OK button ( sorry, I should have made a note) and it then attempted to reconnect., Note that I didn't change any of the stored wifi settings. The network connection was made at 54Mbps. I could then get into the TV Portal and was able to access IPlayer ok.

So, will I need to do this every time I want to use the Internet? Does the Humax box disconnect and reconnect the network on demand? The box is about three feet away from the wifi router, albeit with a brick wall in the way, so signal strength is good.

Rob
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, will I need to do this every time I want to use the Internet?
    Is your SSID hidden? This used to cause some issues on the older Humax models.
    Forum Member
    No, it's a regular broadcast SSID. It's a BT Homehub3, using their default settings and a unique password.

Rob
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    you should not be hiding your ssid.
    Forum Member
    flagpole wrote: »
    you should not be hiding your ssid.

I'm not.
  • SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So, will I need to do this every time I want to use the Internet? Does the Humax box disconnect and reconnect the network on demand? The box is about three feet away from the wifi router, albeit with a brick wall in the way, so signal strength is good.

Rob

No need to re-enter anything once it’s been set-up as a one button press of the TV Portal button will reconnect instantly.
  • TimA-CTimA-C Posts: 483
    Forum Member
    I don't know if this is relevant to your 2000T but often these types of devices don't work well with routers that are set up to allow wireless connections using either WPA or WPA2 encryption. I usually find it's much better to just set up your wifi network to use either just WPA or just WPA2 encryption.
  • Luis EssexLuis Essex Posts: 2,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know about this aspect of the HDR-2000T but that certainly applies to the very similar HDR-FOX T2.
    I aso suspect that the HDR-2000T does not recognise a wifi password if it includes a space (as the HDR-2000T is made by Humax).
  • Mike_HowlandMike_Howland Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    I've just added an EW-7711USn wireless adaptor to my 2000t and it connected to my WiFi easily using the network name, default security type WPA-PSK(TKIP)and my password but when I press 'TV Portal'after a short wait, it says no network available. I'm a total dummy with router setups etc but my wireless system works perfectly with my smart phone and laptop. All suggestions received with gratitude.:confused::)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just added an EW-7711USn wireless adaptor to my 2000t and it connected to my WiFi easily using the network name, default security type WPA-PSK(TKIP)and my password but when I press 'TV Portal'after a short wait, it says no network available.
    Start off by telling us what values are shown for the device IP address, gateway and DNS adresses.
    Forum Member
    I suspect you'll need to log into your BT Homehub (using the login info on the back of the HomeHub) from a laptop or PC, navigate to the wireless settings area, and choose either WPA(-PSK) OR WPA2(-PSK) rather than WPA(-PSK) + WPA2(-PSK) (I'd go for WPA2-PSK) and then try connecting your 2000T again from scratch. If you still can't connect then try going back into the HomeHub and choose the other encryption type (although you may lose option of using the maximum Wireless 'N' speeds)

Edit (additional thought!): If you still have problems connecting wirelessly, I'd seriously have a look at a pair of 200mbps or 500mbps Homeplug adapters. (wired networking using the mains wiring in the building) Far fewer hassles since I did the switch!
    Forum Member
    Start off by telling us what values are shown for the device IP address, gateway and DNS adresses.
    The config is on auto with the following settings.
    Config IP DHCP
    IP Address 10.0.0.6
    Netmask 255.255.255.0
    Gateway Address 10.0.0.1
    DNS address 10.0.0.1
    Thanks for keeping it simple so far!:D
    Forum Member
    Config IP DHCP
    IP Address 10.0.0.6
    Netmask 255.255.255.0
    Gateway Address 10.0.0.1
    DNS address 10.0.0.1

Those don't look standard BT addresses?
    Forum Member
    TimA-C wrote: »
    I suspect you'll need to log into your BT Homehub (using the login info on the back of the HomeHub) from a laptop or PC, navigate to the wireless settings area, and choose either WPA(-PSK) OR WPA2(-PSK) rather than WPA(-PSK) + WPA2(-PSK) (I'd go for WPA2-PSK) and then try connecting your 2000T again from scratch. If you still can't connect then try going back into the HomeHub and choose the other encryption type (although you may lose option of using the maximum Wireless 'N' speeds)

I'm not on Homehub and suspect part of my problem may be the rather odd setup here. I am with Plusnet and have a Linksys ADSL2 gateway connected to the BT line. As this isn't Wireless, my Grandson connected a Netgear wireless router to one of the Linksys ports. Now comes the difficult bit - OK it works fine but I haven't a clue how to access the settings for the Netgear and am already thinking about starting again with a proper 4 port wireless jobbie!:D BTW, the Netgear thing is a bit unreliable' drops out occasionally.
    The Humax tells me I am connected at 54Mb/sec.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Config IP DHCP
    IP Address 10.0.0.6
    Netmask 255.255.255.0
    Gateway Address 10.0.0.1
    DNS address 10.0.0.1

That all looks OK. Have you tried putting the Humax into standby; waiting for about a minute until the disk stops spinning and then bringing it out of standby and trying again?