Truly Scrumptious

Comments

• dayzeeedayzeee Posts: 662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jessie reminded me of Julie Andrews.
  • lady_ravenlady_raven Posts: 6,462
    Forum Member
    Yes I was thinking Mary Poppins but I think Jessie is probably a bit to young for that role
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whatever she does, I'll be going to see it!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dayzeee wrote: »
    Whatever she does, I'll be going to see it!

lol me too :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I looked at the original song on you tube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBvPvEBqhX4 and it was nowhere near as good.
  • SimbaY2K+4SimbaY2K+4 Posts: 563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I felt sorry for the Sam and Harry duet, it was not as good as the other two, and there was very little chemistry beween the two of them. I think this might be because Sam is still 17, Harry is 12/13. Thats a difference of 4/5 years. Thats more a brother relationship than a maternal one I think.

Saying that Jessie and Gwion have a difference of 7/8 years and their duet stole the show.

Maybe it wasn't age but both Sam and Harry were better than that duet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Jessie also suffered from some poor song choices during the course of the shows, which was why I was so pleased to see she had been given such a good song to sing with Gwion.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Diorelli wrote: »
    11 :p

Good grief, surely not! My girls are 11 and much taller than he is, and they are on the short side of average!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    peely wrote: »
    Good grief, surely not! My girls are 11 and much taller than he is, and they are on the short side of average!!

Girls tend to grow faster than boys though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gwion looks about 9!
  • TheBlueOneTheBlueOne Posts: 2,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When they put makeup on him, he could pass for about 5. Bless 'im.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ashrell wrote: »
    Girls tend to grow faster than boys though.

Not my two!! They are on the small side. Some of their friends are a head taller. Gwion doesn't look more than about 8, but I would accept he may be ten, and just small.

Dickens gets this mixed up in the book, I reckon. Oliver is 9 when he goes to the workhouse, 10 when he leaves it, but later on there's mention of him being 12, which doesn't really fit.

I've just read the bit where Sikes beats Nancy to death. Its more horrible in print.
  • janymacjanymac Posts: 950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I though oliver was born in the workhouse:o
  • Flamethrower100Flamethrower100 Posts: 14,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    janymac wrote: »
    I though oliver was born in the workhouse:o

I think he was. Not sure, but he was sent to live in an orphanage until he was nine. Then he returned to live at the work house.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure it worked that well. The context just wasn't there and Jessie isn't the Truly Scrumptious type. She's too rough and ready for that, so I didn't find it that convincing though the song choice was probably better than the others. When one considers the meaning and context of the song, it didn't come across as Jessie being that figure. Maybe she was trying to do it as Nancy, but if so, it didn't feel in that character either. Too sweet for that, but not sweet enough for Truly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jessie's was probably not a 'Nancy' performance but, for me, it was truly scrumptious as a performance in its own right. There will be something out there for Jessie even if it is not Nancy, but Gwion will be a great Oliver.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wonder what they are doing this Saturday?
  • Tangledweb7Tangledweb7 Posts: 3,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure it worked that well. The context just wasn't there and Jessie isn't the Truly Scrumptious type. She's too rough and ready for that, so I didn't find it that convincing though the song choice was probably better than the others. When one considers the meaning and context of the song, it didn't come across as Jessie being that figure. Maybe she was trying to do it as Nancy, but if so, it didn't feel in that character either. Too sweet for that, but not sweet enough for Truly.

You are either a Sam or Jodie supporter i'm guessing:rolleyes:
  • qwertyqueenqwertyqueen Posts: 3,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wasn't a fan of Sam, but I think she got a raw deal in terms of the song she was given. Jessie and Jodie also didn't have to try as hard to include a prop into their routines, and Jessie's Oliver was younger and cuter. It sounded like Harry's voice was breaking too, which certainly didn't help matters.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks as though Gwion's voice won't be breaking any time soon!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks as though Jessie inherited a lot of her talent from her mum
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dayzeee wrote: »
    I looked at the original song on you tube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBvPvEBqhX4 and it was nowhere near as good.

OMG. I though that I was going to be sick, after watching that.
    It was boring, really slow and sickley sweet.
    Not cute at all.
    I don't mean to be cruel, but has anyone ever spoken like that in real life :eek:
    The kids were sweet, but they couldn't sing very well. Gwion did a much better job.
    Oh god it was horrific. I'm glad I've never actualy watched the film all the way through.
  • qwertyqueenqwertyqueen Posts: 3,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OMG. I though that I was going to be sick, after watching that.
    It was boring, really slow and sickley sweet.
    Not cute at all.
    I don't mean to be cruel, but has anyone ever spoken like that in real life :eek:
    The kids were sweet, but they couldn't sing very well. Gwion did a much better job.
    Oh god it was horrific. I'm glad I've never actualy watched the film all the way through.

It seems a bit dated now, but I guess it's a shame that children can't seem that innocent any more.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It seems a bit dated now, but I guess it's a shame that children can't seem that innocent any more.

I wasn't them being innocent that bothered me. It was their vioces.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like the way that Gwion's Welsh accent comes through in his singing.