Options

ken haynes former Radio Forth DJ Dies

neyney Posts: 12,516
Forum Member
✭✭
Its been on the radio this morning that the former Radio Forth dj ken haynes died last night at his home in Ayrshire at the age of 76 after a short illness.
He had only retired from his Scottish music show back in February but had not been on air much since Christmas.
He was one of the longest djs at Forth. He also worked at Radio Tay for a very short time.

Darren

Comments

• Options
    wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have fond memories of Ken's shows on Forth. It is good that he managed to continue as long as he did.

R.I.P.
  • Options
    chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
    Forum Member
    He had have had relatively good innings but to die so soon after retiring is so shocking.
  • Options
    Steven OliverSteven Oliver Posts: 2,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another one of the old school passes away. Ken was able to turn his hand to any kind of programme on Forth.

Scottish radio will be a lot poorer with his passing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funny that someone so closely associated with Scottish radio was actually a Mancunian!

I suppose he had that in common with Ewan McColl.

RIP Ken.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RIP Ken gone to join all the Scottish ILR greats on that cloud in heaven. Remember him so well from Radio Forth which was the first ILR I listened to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's gone to join Stuart Henry, Tony Allan, Kenny Page, Jimmy Mack, Ali Abbasi, Alan Black, Neville Garden, John Dunn, Steve Hamilton, Bill Jack, Allen McKenzie, Kenny McIntyre, Mr Superbad, Tom Wilson and his fellow adopted Scot Ken Sykora.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's gone to join Stuart Henry, Tony Allan, Kenny Page, Jimmy Mack, Ali Abbasi, Alan Black, Neville Garden, John Dunn, Steve Hamilton, Bill Jack, Allen McKenzie, Kenny McIntyre, Mr Superbad, Tom Wilson and his fellow adopted Scot Ken Sykora.

Add to that list George Mackintosh who was one of the bosses at Radio Tay and set up Kingdom FM. George Duffus too who used to present a show on Radio Tay and helped set up Wave 102 in Dundee when it was Discovery.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How sad.

I remember when I was young, I would listen to his Friday night show on Radio Forth. He had a competition called Radio Darts - two callers would take turns in shouting "Fire!" and throwing an imaginary dart. Whoever scored 101 points first won the game and a prize (usually albums, goody bags etc). Ken had a cart of some bloke shouting out random dart scores. He was supposed to fast-forward the cart a bit in between shots to generate a bit more randomness to the game, but usually he didn't bother.

Because the game ran for so long, and I listened almost every week (I was too young to go out at the time), I ended up subconsciously memorising the order of the scores on the cart. As a result, as soon as I heard the first score being called, I knew what scores were coming and who would win.

Being the mischievous little bastard I was, I tried for weeks to get through to play the game. My cunning plan was, when it was my turn, to shout "Fire! But I know I'll get double 12 (or whatever)", just to baffle Ken. I eventually got through one week. I excitedly sat on hold waiting to play the game. I even set up my tape recorder to record what were to be my smart-arse, hilarious antics.

The game started and I thought "Here we go!" The other player was the first to go. When I heard the first score, my heart sank. Ken had had a new cart made with a different bloke shouting different, shiny new scores. My dastardly plan was ruined.

Epic fail. And I lost the game too! Serves me right I suppose.

Didn't he record a few songs with his brother, Alan?

RIP Ken.
  • Options
    RetrospectiveRetrospective Posts: 3,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Radio Heaven. RIP Ken.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Epic fail. And I lost the game too! Serves me right I suppose.

Didn't he record a few songs with his brother, Alan?

RIP Ken.
    Further fail I'm afraid.

Ken and Alan weren't real brothers!

Alan's real name was Eddie Robertson.

They started out on Radio Forth together but while Ken took to the medium like a duck to water, 'Alan' quickly decided it wasn't for him.

He died at his home in Fife on 25/6/06 at the age of 77.
  • Options
    neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dick Barrie had 7 or 8 text to his country show last night all saying Ken would be missed and it was sad news.
    Dick Barrie talked about Ken for a min or so just after 9pm. You could tell by Dick Barries voice that he felt sad but was not tryingt to show it. He even played a country song saying this is for you Ken or as Ken would say the show must go on.
    Near the end of Berrie Country he said its the end the of my show oh I dont mean that I hopefully will be back on next week. I mean Its the last few mins of my show.
    You could tell Dick Barrie was trying his best not to let us know that he was sad about Ken dieing.

Darren
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ney wrote: »
    Dick Barrie had 7 or 8 text to his country show last night all saying Ken would be missed and it was sad news.
    Dick Barrie talked about Ken for a min or so just after 9pm. You could tell by Dick Barries voice that he felt sad but was not tryingt to show it. He even played a country song saying this is for you Ken or as Ken would say the show must go on.
    Near the end of Berrie Country he said its the end the of my show oh I dont mean that I hopefully will be back on next week. I mean Its the last few mins of my show.
    You could tell Dick Barrie was trying his best not to let us know that he was sad about Ken dieing.

Darren

It is indeed very sad news about Ken. He was involved with Radio Forth right from the start in 1975, and became the head of Max AM when it was formed in 1990. Of course Ken's Celidh will be the show for which Ken will mostly be remembered in recent years, but he presented so many others too - Ken's Den; Junior Jiggery-Poggery; Breaker Breaker Music Maker (under the alias of Kenny Gee); Country Corner; Melody Line; and the late nights and later, the overnights on Max AM and Forth AM.

One of my memories of Ken was for him sitting in for Mike Scott on early Saturday brekkie on Forth one time in 1989. As he was more often associated with easy listening and Scottish music at the time, it was strange to hear him playing the latest chart hits amongst the classic hits!

We'll certainly never see his like again.
  • Options
    Joey DeaconJoey Deacon Posts: 3,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very sad news.

Ken was brilliant.

Very slick on air and a really nice man to work with.
  • Options
    bigluke1970bigluke1970 Posts: 634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Before Radio Forth Split in 1990 I used to listen to Radio Darts on a Friday night.

I did not catch much of his shows when he moved to Forth2 / MAX Am but RIP Ken.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of my memories of Ken was for him sitting in for Mike Scott on early Saturday brekkie on Forth one time in 1989. As he was more often associated with easy listening and Scottish music at the time, it was strange to hear him playing the latest chart hits amongst the classic hits!.

I remember Ken doing weekday breakfast cover for Bob Malcolm.

He was sooooooooo slick.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is indeed very sad news about Ken. He was involved with Radio Forth right from the start in 1975, and became the head of Max AM when it was formed in 1990. Of course Ken's Celidh will be the show for which Ken will mostly be remembered in recent years, but he presented so many others too - Ken's Den; Junior Jiggery-Poggery; Breaker Breaker Music Maker (under the alias of Kenny Gee); Country Corner; Melody Line; and the late nights and later, the overnights on Max AM and Forth AM.

I'm just picking out one of the shows you mentioned, Ken's Breaker Breaker Music Maker, which was my old cb handle in the AM illegal and legal FM days. Used to look forward to listening to that show from Ken when he mentioned a few people because I always recognised the names or handle. Definitely going to be a big miss to people and I remember my late father used to listen to a lot of his early Forth shows in the 70's.

10/10 Ken good buddy RIP
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a good write-up about Ken on the Forth 1 and Forth 2 websites.

http://www.forthone.com/Article.asp?id=1772847&spid=20801

What an utter disgrace that there is nothing mentioned about Ken's death on the Clyde 2 or Tay AM websites.

Ken presented programmes on both stations for years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aritcle reporting Ken's death from tonight's Edinburgh Evening News:

http://http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/Friends-pay-tribute-as-muchloved.6285811.jp

Not sure of the accuracy though regarding his shows - Ken's Den and Ken's Celidh were on Forth for longer than what the EEN reports, dating back to long before the pre-split days.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ken's Den and Ken's Celidh were on Forth for longer than what the EEN reports, dating back to long before the pre-split days.

Yes they were.

Ken's Ceilidh started in 1988 from 7pm to 9pm.

Ken's Den on Sunday mornings was on Radio Forth back in 1985.

The Melody Line started even before the Radio Forth RFM / Max AM split in 1990.

FM took The Super Station.

AM, branded as Radio Forth AM, took The Melody Line presented in rotation by Bill Torrance, Ken, and the late Colin Hillis.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes they were.

Ken's Ceilidh started in 1988 from 7pm to 9pm.

Ken's Den on Sunday mornings was on Radio Forth back in 1985.

The Melody Line started even before the Radio Forth RFM / Max AM split in 1990.

FM took The Super Station.

AM, branded as Radio Forth AM, took The Melody Line presented in rotation by Bill Torrance, Ken, and the late Colin Hillis.

I was struggling to recall what the Melody Line was - thanks for reminding me about it.

I can remember Ken's Den being on Forth as far back as 1983. Back in 2000, Ken played an archive clip of the Den which dated from 1976, so I'd guess that it was on Forth right from the start.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't realise Colin had died.

Just googled him and found this report:
    http://www.thecourier.co.uk/output/2006/05/24/newsstory8369858t0.asp

Sad that Ken lost both Colin and Alan within a month of each other back in 2006! :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was struggling to recall what the Melody Line was - thanks for reminding me about it.

The Melody Line was basically a request show from 10pm to 1am, Monday to Thursday on 1548am.

Country Corner remained on Friday nights.

I loved the theme music Ken used for Ken's Den.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Melody Line was basically a request show from 10pm to 1am, Monday to Thursday on 1548am.

Country Corner remained on Friday nights.

I loved the theme music Ken used for Ken's Den.

I remember now (one of the shows the Melody Line replaced was Breaker Breaker Music Maker). I think it started when Forth started using its Greatest Memories, Latest Hits jingle package in June 1988.

I remember the Ken's Den theme too, didn't he have two of them?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Does anybody know the name of the tune and the artist that Ken always ended the ceilidh with?
  • Options
    pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry to Drudge this thread up, Nearly a year on hard to believe. I was through the casette tapes this morning, found couple bits from Sunday Morning about 10 years ago, before he handed over to Radio Borders at 7pm

http://soundcloud.com/pakokelso/forth-2-ken-haynes-sunday

Does anyone know the music Ken used as a bed there?