Options

Sainsburys just asked me for ID..

Comments

• Options
    I_AM_IRONIC_MANI_AM_IRONIC_MAN Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    Only games with movie style BBFC certificates on them are restricted at the point of sale.

The Pegi ratings are just to show the general age range the title is suitable for, like board games do.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    Dragonic wrote: »
    ..for Lego Harry Potter o.O

Am I over reacting a bit in the thinking that asking for ID when I obviously don't look like i'm under 7 is a bit stupid?

I'm 22 and never had this problem before, anyone else had the same kind of thing happen at Sainsburys when buying games?

(I should have been carrying ID, but left my license at home as in a rush to go out)

I long for the day someone asks me for ID... At my age, I'll take it as a bloody compliment!
  • Options
    fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The punishment for being caught out selling age restricted product is up to £5000 and/or 6 months in prison.

Local police are allowed to attempt to catch out staff / business owners by sending in under-aged kids.

You can't blame shop staff for not taking any risks. If the till tells them to check - they check.

I'm 35 years old and am ex pub-restaurant manager. I always still carry ID, because you never know if you'll be asked for it. I was refused entry to a night club 3 years ago, even though I owned a pub myself at the time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was asked for ID recently when buying sugar-free Red-bull in Co-op. Did think this was a tad excessive - I am 26!

Can understand the point of view of the cashiers though - they can be personally fined/imprisoned and Trading Standards are always doing spotchecks to try and catch them out.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only games with movie style BBFC certificates on them are restricted at the point of sale.

The Pegi ratings are just to show the general age range the title is suitable for, like board games do.

As I said, most likely their POS system had it INCORRECTLY flagged as age restricted
  • Options
    LeehamLeeham Posts: 4,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm 5ft7 and I didn't get ID'ed to buy GTA4
  • Options
    mad_dudemad_dude Posts: 10,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

PEGI are content ratings they are just not legally inforceable.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was asked for ID recently when buying sugar-free Red-bull in Co-op. Did think this was a tad excessive - I am 26!

Can understand the point of view of the cashiers though - they can be personally fined/imprisoned and Trading Standards are always doing spotchecks to try and catch them out.

There are no fines relating to the sales of Red Bull.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Truan wrote: »
    As I said, most likely their POS system had it INCORRECTLY flagged as age restricted

But common sense should be that the cashier look at the age on the game and use their judgement. Unfortunately the big supermarkets do not allow their staff to make a common sense judgement and enforce their rules to the letter. Poor staff members have to deal with the flack, not the managers setting the rules.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    Hey people :)

Just thought I'd chip in, I'm an A-Level student but I also work at Sainsbury's part time :)

When any type of age restricted product comes up, the screen flashes "THINK 25 - CHECK ID". It's been quite embarassing when I've had to ID 30 year olds!! XD

The reason why your Dad wasn't allowed to pay for it instead is because (although wrongly) you were ID'd, the store knew that your Dad was going to give it to you.

I completely understand what you're getting at though, if you had come up to my checkout, I wouldn't have ID'd you :) Guessing by your age, possibly I would have if it was rated 18, but not 7!!

I guess you just find some weird people working there :)

Hope I helped!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    I got Id'd buying a nunchuck for my wii.... although the cashier laughed it off and sold it to me anyway without checking ID he just made me promise i wouldn't hit anyone with it!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 57
    Forum Member
    The thing is though, It is illegal for the parent to buy alcohol or cigarettes with the intention of giving to underagers.

I worked in game last year and we were explicitly told it was a moral choice of the parent buying restricted aged games for minors. We had the duty to explain why the game was awarded that certificate but we couldn't stop the parent from buying the game. So it was clearly the cashier's incompetence in that situation.
  • Options
    nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    my brother-in-law is 22 and he got asked for ID in his local tescos - fine, he didnt have any so was going to put the booze back but then the cashier as my husband if he could pay for it!! That shouldn't have been allowed!
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    Ouch :(. My nephew is 15 and wanted to buy a aged 15 game. Fair enough they turned him down because he had no id but they asked if he had a driving licence to prove his age!

Seriously, they are so stupid and take it OTT!
    If he looks as if he could be 17 why is that stupid? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    poppitypop wrote: »
    But common sense should be that the cashier look at the age on the game and use their judgement. Unfortunately the big supermarkets do not allow their staff to make a common sense judgement and enforce their rules to the letter. Poor staff members have to deal with the flack, not the managers setting the rules.

As I said originally, the store probably has a policy of not allowing the 'common sense' route because it is also open to someone persuading the cashier that the till is mistaken when it isn't. Of course training the cashiers on which items are actually age restricted would avoid such problems.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 328
    Forum Member
    I got ID'd in tesco for a set of teaspoons once. I might have 'stirred' up some trouble if I was underage.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even when I do have my driving licence with me it's always potluck whether it'll be accepted or not, usually depending on how dense the checkout worker is. Always fun explaining that Northern Ireland IS in fact part of the UK, and not some place I've dreamed up to stick on a fake ID.
  • Options
    ElCepilloElCepillo Posts: 558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ouch :(. My nephew is 15 and wanted to buy a aged 15 game. Fair enough they turned him down because he had no id but they asked if he had a driving licence to prove his age!

Seriously, they are so stupid and take it OTT!

If the screen tells them to check for ID, they check for ID. The fines are stringently enforced against till staff, so they act in kind.
  • Options
    ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to work in IKEA and our till would tell us to age-check people for buying cultery sets.

I just used the common sense approach - only if they were obviously very young, and not with parents, or if they were dressed like someone who goes on the Jeremy Kyle show.:p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    I got ID'd in tesco for a set of teaspoons once. I might have 'stirred' up some trouble if I was underage.

I feel the need to point out this play on words should be very much appreciated.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dragonic wrote: »
    ..for Lego Harry Potter o.O

Am I over reacting a bit in the thinking that asking for ID when I obviously don't look like i'm under 7 is a bit stupid?

I'm 22 and never had this problem before, anyone else had the same kind of thing happen at Sainsburys when buying games?

(I should have been carrying ID, but left my license at home as in a rush to go out)

This made me lol :D :eek:

I'm 21 (probably don't look it at times) and I don't recall ever being asked my age when buying a game (mind you I buy them online now).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Asking someone in their 20s for ID for a 7 rated game is mental, I would have complained to the manager.
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mad_dude wrote: »
    PEGI are content ratings they are just not legally inforceable.

... although they will be later this year, once they fully take over from BBFC ratings.

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/+/http://www.culture.gov.uk/reference_library/media_releases/6215.aspx/

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/39401/New-UK-age-ratings-legal-by-October
  • Options
    vampirekvampirek Posts: 4,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing is though, It is illegal for the parent to buy alcohol or cigarettes with the intention of giving to underagers.

I worked in game last year and we were explicitly told it was a moral choice of the parent buying restricted aged games for minors. We had the duty to explain why the game was awarded that certificate but we couldn't stop the parent from buying the game. So it was clearly the cashier's incompetence in that situation.

I hope you meant it isn't, any parent or guardian can buy alcohol with the intention of giving it to their own children. It is simply illegal to sell alcohol to someone under the age of 18 or assisting under 18's gaining alcohol who you have no PR for. Which is why a child may drink in a pub, provided it is with a meal. In the family home it is perfectly allowed and any movement would conflict with Human Rights (unless there is deemed a risk to a child)
    However seeing you mentioned the game example, I assume this is what you meant. Same applies with games, so long as you have the PR for that child then it is allowed. Although these parents then wonder why their children swear, abuse and so on. Idiots.
  • Options
    CarlosVelaCarlosVela Posts: 3,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In protest, i would have proved my age and then told them to shove their game where the sun is less than fruitful with it's rays