Options

Favourite opening titles to a TV Show

Comments

• Options
    FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sloopy wrote: »
    Minder was created as a vehicle for Dennis Waterman following his success in The Sweeney, which made him a household name.

Arthur Daley was only supposed to be a support character to Terry McCann initially, but such was the popularity of George Cole that the dynamics between them soon became more of a double act.

Helped by the fact that one of them could act.

Best start to a TV programme:

"Norman Stanley Fletcher....."
  • Options
    SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Frood wrote: »
    Helped by the fact that one of them could act.

Clue: It wasn't Dennis Waterman??

:p
  • Options
    FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought that was obvious.
  • Options
    44444444 Posts: 1,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    @Grand Dizzy Those Blockbusters titles were the second lot, from 1985 or 1986?
  • Options
    chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great stuff here!!!

Thanks for the Crossroads link. Ann Tirard mentioned in the credits: she's great in a couple of Dr Whos.

Treasure Hunt was SO exciting. Thrilling theme music. Nice to see Winceyette Willis gets billed above Annabel Croft in the last series.

Blake's 7 series1-2 have been mentioned. Mrs Chuff and I have just finished series 3, and felt the "new" credits sequence wasn't as effective.

I remember Dynasty, from my 80s childhood. Those vertical lines flashing across the screen were always very exciting.

Twin Peaks? Bloody marvellous. Beautiful music and beautiful scenery. A great start to one of the finest TV shows of all time.

I'd like to add some nominations:

Dear John, by John Sullivan, is one of the great sitcoms of the 80s, sadly forgotten in light of his vastly inferior Fools & Horses. Poor John's wife leaves him and takes him for every penny, leaving him in a grim flat attending a "one-to-one club" for divorcees and sad losers in order to make friends. The title sequence sums it up brilliantly.

Scary 80s adaptation of The Day of the Triffids. Gave me nightmares.

Here's the wonderful Tenko, easily the BBC's best ever drama series. From a lazy life in the sun to life behind barbed wire of a prison camp, all summed up in some simple animation.

Miss Marple manages to mix lovely music and a lovely coutnryside setting with sinister images of people with angular faces lurking in shadows. Exactly what Agatha Christie should be.

Finally, nifty and simple use of graphics in the Juliet Bravo credits make it all the more effective, with one of the all-time great british TV theme tunes.
  • Options
    Fat BuddhaFat Buddha Posts: 882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    eye3 wrote: »
    The Prisoner...great theme and opening scenes of no6 resigning, driving home, packing his bags...and waking up in the village with the voice over of that week's no2

Hear Hear !..........................still makes the hairs stand up on the back of the neck even after all this time................utterly brilliant.
  • Options
    AzagothAzagoth Posts: 10,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tales Of The Unexpected - complete with Anglia ident here.
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agent F wrote: »
    Currently Dexter and True Blood.

By far my two favourite TV shows at the moment.

I love the True Blood opening titles. However, I just cant watch Dexter's.

It's weird cause the TB images are far more disturbing, yet I find all the close ups in the Dexter titles hard to watch for some reason.
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Great thread!

Best one I've seen recently was True Blood. Great song and a brilliant image sequence that perfectly captured the Southern milieu and the themes of superstition, sex and death.

Best cop show tune (and best cop show for that matter) was The Sweeney. Loads of energy with a menacing edge perfectly complemented by the zooming monochrome stills.

I remember that I loved The Professionals theme when I was a kid in the 1970s - so much so that I taped it on a cassette recorder from the TV one evening (had to get the rest of the family to be quiet!).

Another vote for The Avengers. Written by the dear late Johnny Dankworth, I think. As cool and stylish as the best of the 60s. I'm in two minds about its use in the current Pimms commercial but it was an inspired choice.

I quite liked The Sopranos opening theme - as menacing and psychotic as Tony Soprano himself.

I'm surprised to see Minder getting votes. It was a good show (largely due to George Cole) but Dennis "wrote the feme tune, sung the feme tune" Waterman croaking his way through the 'by the numbers' song didn't do anything for it.

No just the theme but all the music from Edge of Darkness was inspired. Eric Clapton and Michael Kamen collaborated to produce a brooding, haunting score that was perfect for one of the best TV drama series of all time.
  • Options
    Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    Grand DizzyGrand Dizzy Posts: 7,369
    Forum Member
    4444 wrote: »
    @Grand Dizzy Those Blockbusters titles were the second lot, from 1985 or 1986?
    Not entirely sure. I thought they were the original titles.
    KennyT wrote: »
    True Blood.
    Azagoth wrote: »
    True Blood and Dr Who.
    Agent F wrote: »
    Currently Dexter and True Blood.
    RebelScum wrote: »
    I love the True Blood opening titles.
    Best one I've seen recently was True Blood.
    Flipping heck! :eek:

Going on popularity here, True Blood must have the best title sequence ever made!

I must go and watch it…

[edit]OK, seen it now. I can’t say I see why everyone loves it, although I do love the fact that it’s a minute and a half long and features a song. (They don’t tend to do long title sequences or theme songs any more.)
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Others have posted some of my fave opening/closing tunes, but my all time one is Barrington Pheloung's theme to Inspector Morse.

Morse theme
  • Options
    chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A good point that long credits and songs just don't happen anymore. In fact, the standard of TV theme tunes has dropped enormously in recent years.

Thanks for Inspector Morse: remember the excitement about that music when the series first started?!
  • Options
    TCD1975TCD1975 Posts: 3,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm surprised to see Minder getting votes. It was a good show (largely due to George Cole) but Dennis "wrote the feme tune, sung the feme tune" Waterman croaking his way through the 'by the numbers' song didn't do anything for it.

To be fair it was more about the humorous opening sequence between Terry and Arthur in the white Ford Capri; not Dennis singing the feem toon in the closing titles......although he did score a modest hit with the title track back in 1980!!
  • Options
    SillyBoyBlueSillyBoyBlue Posts: 3,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll always love The Tomorrow People just for the combination of great music and graphics (and the lava lamp of infinity at the end!):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xez4o1ujOPI
  • Options
    JoTaylorJoTaylor Posts: 9,870
    Forum Member
    Past : Why Don't You - just smacks of school hols :D

Present(ish) : The Sopranos
  • Options
    solaresolare Posts: 11,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I use to like the opening titles to "Red Cap" which starred Tamzin Outhwaite.

(Can't find it on YouTube but this was the music: http://www.televisiontunes.com/Red_Caps.html).
  • Options
    Adam14Adam14 Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dallas

Knots Landing - remember the sand castles?
  • Options
    Grand DizzyGrand Dizzy Posts: 7,369
    Forum Member
    Adam14 wrote: »
    Knots Landing - remember the sand castles?
    Speaking of sand castles, anyone remember…

Me & My Girl

I found it on YouTube lately and it really took me back to being a small boy. I used to think that blonde girl was hot and wanted to be that bloke! :D
    solare wrote: »
    I use to like the opening titles to "Red Cap" which starred Tamzin Outhwaite.

(Can't find it on YouTube but this was the music: http://www.televisiontunes.com/Red_Caps.html).
    Never saw that show, but it’s a great song.
  • Options
    chinchinchinchin Posts: 125,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dallas, Dynasty and Tarot!
  • Options
    Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    Got to be these titles although I didn't like the programme much as a child. As Morrissey sang: 'It says nothing to me about my life!'

And this programme had great titles and theme too. (Don't think the series lasted very long though.)
  • Options
    kempshottkempshott Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best cop show tune ... was The Sweeney.

Hill St Blues for me, with Hawaii 5-0 a close second. But please let's not have another "best theme tune" thread - there are loads already.
  • Options
    angelafisherangelafisher Posts: 4,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Big Bang Theory!