Ghostwatch

citizenx103citizenx103 Posts: 1,452
Forum Member
✭✭✭
In the run up to Halloween, Virgin Media have placed the excellent Ghostwatch in their On Demand section.

Remember watching this when it aired in '92. Being young and naive it seemed real - it was very well made.

If you haven't seen it, check it out. If you have, you know you'll want to!

Comments

• jake1981jake1981 Posts: 5,715
    Forum Member
    In the run up to Halloween, Virgin Media have placed the excellent Ghostwatch in their On Demand section.

Remember watching this when it aired in '92. Being young and naive it seemed real - it was very well made.

If you haven't seen it, check it out. If you have, you know you'll want to!

Thanks for the heads up

Watched it at the time and I ,too, was caught out by it

I remember Craig Charles was in it and a Blue Peter presenter I think

I remember there being loads of complaints. Don't seem like 20 years ago...
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm another one who was young and naive at the time and took it for real! I think there was apparently a note at the start that this was a drama but it wasn't made obvious enough - perhaps that's why there were many complaints. It was only toward the ends when things got really silly that I begun thinking that it can't be real - but by then I was shit-scared to sleep without the light on that night! :D

I believe Sarah Greene was the presenter?
  • citizenx103citizenx103 Posts: 1,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jake1981 wrote: »
    Thanks for the heads up

Watched it at the time and I ,too, was caught out by it

I remember Craig Charles was in it and a Blue Peter presenter I think

I remember there being loads of complaints. Don't seem like 20 years ago...

Apparently, Craig Charles wasn't really in it, he was played by an impersonator! I believe the source is credible!

http://www.ghostwatchbtc.com/2012/10/whats-going-on-like.html
  • citizenx103citizenx103 Posts: 1,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    myss wrote: »
    I'm another one who was young and naive at the time and took it for real! I think there was apparently a note at the start that this was a drama but it wasn't made obvious enough - perhaps that's why there were many complaints. It was only toward the ends when things got really silly that I begun thinking that it can't be real - but by then I was shit-scared to sleep without the light on that night! :D

I believe Sarah Greene was the presenter?

It was Sarah Greene and her husband.

It was shown as a "Screen One" drama (so it had the logo at the start) and had a "writer" credit.

But being young we didn't really pick up on it. The whole thing was very well written to look like the kind of show that they aired live at the time.

As a result, when things take a turn for the worst, people had bought into it.

Great drama and well worth watching again.

Not sure if its on other platforms (wasn't on BBC iplayer when i checked).
  • PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has to be watched for Parkys freak out at the end :D
  • PopRocketPopRocket Posts: 587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've got this on dvd and i was fortunate enough to have been able to watch it live. It still remains the scariest thing i've ever watched, no film will ever produce that amount of fear cos i really believed it was true, scared the life out of me and my friend!!
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    Apparently, Craig Charles wasn't really in it, he was played by an impersonator! I believe the source is credible!

http://www.ghostwatchbtc.com/2012/10/whats-going-on-like.html
    It was Craig Charles, that website has used the name of the character he plays in Corrie,Lloyd Mullaney.
  • AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember watching this when it first aired and I thought it was real. I was terrified by the end of it!
  • ZeusZeus Posts: 10,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aha, memories! I watched this at the time and thoroughly enjoyed it, although I had read that it was all scripted before it aired. A lot of folk didn't know, though, and I recall that it caused quite a reaction afterwards. There was no internet in those days and so ruses like this were less easy to rumble.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was that the one where the camera was always pointing to the right place, just before something happened there? I seem to remember the most obvious one was when the camera zoomed in on a light bulb, and, a few seconds later, it exploded.
  • lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,648
    Forum Member
    I watched it with my mam when I was 8. It seemed to real at the time, but it didn't affect me so much that I had nightmares or anything.
  • davethecuedavethecue Posts: 23,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember watching this and getting caught out

We call him Pipes..
  • SteelEdgeSteelEdge Posts: 6,903
    Forum Member
    I was 9 when this was on. I turned it on 5 minutes late so I had no idea it was a spoof. Absolutely terrified me, and barely slept for the next 2 nights! Good times! :D
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ghostwatch was excellent. They did make it clear in the Radio Times that it was a drama, so I was never fooled, but of course not everyone got the Radio Times.
  • sugapunksugapunk Posts: 1,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm as cynical as anything, and was as a youngster too. Never believed in ghosts etc. But even with that taken in to account, at 11 years old this programme crapped the hell outta me! Didn't sleep that night :)
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The only thing that fooled me was the image of the ghost in the net curtains.
  • Robin DaviesRobin Davies Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    It was a great idea to use quick or peripheral glimpses of the ghost.
    Part of the fun of watching it is to spot all 8 appearances of "Pipes".
  • jrmswfcjrmswfc Posts: 5,644
    Forum Member
    20 years ago tonight since this aired.

I haven't actually seen it since then, but remember plenty of it. I twigged it wasn't real about half way through, when the children just sounded to me as if they were reading lines instead of speaking naturally.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got this on DVD. It's good for the purpose of nostalgia.
  • tigragirltigragirl Posts: 13,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember this, I was on bed rest due to complications with my pregnancy, my hubby was working away and the programme freaked me up so much I had to ring him up. Where can I get it on DVD please.

Ok just found it on amazon
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    tigragirl wrote: »
    I remember this, I was on bed rest due to complications with my pregnancy, my hubby was working away and the programme freaked me up so much I had to ring him up. Where can I get it on DVD please.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ghostwatch-DVD-Michael-Parkinson/dp/B005OJCPZU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1351712644&sr=8-1