Cancelled /Renew Shows & Pick-ups

Comments

• malcy30malcy30 Posts: 7,051
    Forum Member
    I've done well this year with Community being the only show that I watch thats been cancelled.

The majority of shows that I watch are on cable, so that helps.

Despite them cancelling Community, I have to give NBC a lot of credit for keeping low rated shows around longer than any of the other networks would. I doubt that either Parks and Rec or Hannibal would have lasted more than a season anywhere else. Likewise Friday Night Lights previously.

Hannibal only survives as it costs NBC next to nothing as its French produced by Gaumount. NBC get it very cheap as co producers. Is why they can afford to continue with it on a Friday the worst audience night as cost to rating share is so low compared to shows NBC make themselves.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Parenhood has been renewed. No word on episode order, but season 6 will be the final season

Suburgatory is officially being shopped to other networks.

Although it was already known it was cancelled, NBC have decided to officially announce that Michael J Fox show has been cancelled.
  • 007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris_TV wrote: »
    I think it has got beyond a joke for American TV. At least shows on cable networks get given a chance most of the time regardless of average ratings.

However the standard networks have become a joke. It looks like hardly any new show made it onto a 2nd season. So the people who pick which shows go to a full series .

I think that's unfair. The business model for network tv, is designed to make money from advertisement. Without it, they collapse. Cable is based on subscriptions fees from customers, which is how they're funded and survive.
  • lalalala Posts: 21,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    007Fusion wrote: »
    I think that's unfair. The business model for network tv, is designed to make money from advertisement. Without it, they collapse. Cable is based on subscriptions fees from customers, which is how they're funded and survive.

Problem with the network model is that IT IS collapsing around them in spectacular style. On demand and Netflix command a huge amount of viewership in the States, especially compared to here. Some cable tv shows get more viewers than that on the network channels. The Walking Dead and Housewives of Atlanta etc etc continue to out-rate network ratings.

Cable has taken over the water-cooler popular culture space that networks use to occupy. And the fact that cable shows have more freedom in what they can show doesn't help the networks either.
  • HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,696
    Forum Member
    lala wrote: »
    Problem with the network model is that IT IS collapsing around them in spectacular style. On demand and Netflix command a huge amount of viewership in the States, especially compared to here. Some cable tv shows get more viewers than that on the network channels. The Walking Dead and Housewives of Atlanta etc etc continue to out-rate network ratings.

Cable has taken over the water-cooler popular culture space that networks use to occupy. And the fact that cable shows have more freedom in what they can show doesn't help the networks either.
    I think your right_but what does the future hold then for the network model?A slow death spiral?How do you think it will play out?
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    no surprise The Crazy Ones has gone.

SMG is a delight. but RW is now a caricature of himself.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    no surprise The Crazy Ones has gone.

SMG is a delight. but RW is now a caricature of himself.

I didn't think he was too bad but the comedy was too 'shouty' for my liking, but it is a shame it has gone.
    Forum Member
    Yes if they keep cancelling shows too early they are going to make a self fulling prophecy, as viewers are not going to risk getting into a new show, so the rating will be low and it will be cancelled. And so viewers will have even less faith in the next show, which will get even lower ratings and be cancelled. Etc etc.

Perhaps the ad funded network model is slowly dying and poor decisions by tv executives is accelerating an already existing trend?
    Forum Member
    I remember there being a load back in 2010. The media called it something along the lines of "cult cancellation" as tons of shows that had cult followings came to an end.

Are financial troubles meaning this kind of axing "splurge" will become an annual event as networks become more jittery and cut potential losses earlier?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps the ad funded network model is slowly dying and poor decisions by tv executives is accelerating an already existing trend?

Well a good show does get the viewers so not sure if that is the reason.

A lot of the shows that have been axed haven't been that good in the end. Most I've only watched just to see how bad they are ala 'Crisis' and 'Revolution'.

They've been trying to find the next 'Lost' and 'Friends' but have failed.

They seem to learn too late what the problems are but keep making the same mistakes early on.
    Forum Member
    Well a good show does get the viewers so not sure if that is the reason.

A lot of the shows that have been axed haven't been that good in the end. Most I've only watched just to see how bad they are ala 'Crisis' and 'Revolution'.

They've been trying to find the next 'Lost' and 'Friends' but have failed.

They seem to learn too late what the problems are but keep making the same mistakes early on.

But will cables increasing popularity and high quality overtime undercut ,undermine and overshadow network tvs prestige in the long run?Much lower network ratings in the future may become the norm and hence create a vicious cycle?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    But will cables increasing popularity and high quality overtime undercut ,undermine and overshadow network tvs prestige in the long run?Much lower network ratings in the future may become the norm and hence create a vicious cycle?

Personally I blame the quality of recent shows (or lack of quality) and the spate of one season cancellations for lack of viewing figures on Network TV shows.

They seem to be making a lot of them up as they go along rather than having a 3 or 4 season arc already written out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally I blame the quality of recent shows (or lack of quality) and the spate of one season cancellations for lack of viewing figures on Network TV shows.

They seem to be making a lot of them up as they go along rather than having a 3 or 4 season arc already written out.

I can so agree with that. Shows these days just drag and drag without no end in sight. They don't just know when to stop.

I always say if you haven't got a good story to tell that really needs to be told and is a testament to the project, then don't bother.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are financial troubles meaning this kind of axing "splurge" will become an annual event as networks become more jittery and cut potential losses earlier?

Possibly. I am not sure.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Parks and Rec's seventh season has confirmed to be it's last
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Callum CollumCallum Collum Posts: 4,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MoreTears wrote: »
    She sounds English in the show. In real life, I assumed she would have spoken English with a French accent, but someone on-line produced some quote from one of Mary's contemporaries that said Mary spoke English with a very noticeable Scottish accent.

I'm not sure what accents would have sounded like then. The languages themselves were quite different. I believe Mary would have spoken Middle Scots. She may well also have spoken English but remember that it is an English before Shakespeare.
  • lalalala Posts: 21,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think your right_but what does the future hold then for the network model?A slow death spiral?How do you think it will play out?

I think the networks will eventually become just producers or simply 'studios', in which shows are developed and then distributed via On demand only without any linear scheduling. I can see this happening within 15 years.
    Forum Member
    lala wrote: »
    I think the networks will eventually become just producers or simply 'studios', in which shows are developed and then distributed via On demand only without any linear scheduling. I can see this happening within 15 years.

Thanks for replying.Do you think that will ultimately mean fewer big budget shows and maybe fewer shows overall?

Do you think the networks are anticiapting this big change that you envisage?
  • Mr Master XMr Master X Posts: 746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Do most networks even take into account ALL viewing figures and revenue from a show though? From what I've heard barely any have evolved past the Nielson ratings garbage. I always wonder how many shows cancelled in the past actually had good ratings and made money, but were cancelled based on Nielson ratings inaccuracy.

I'll be honest, shows getting cancelled used to gut me, but I'm finding I just can't let myself get hooked on anything much recently. The last few years have seen massive cuts to what I watch due to cancellations. This year has just been crazy. I've already decided not to give anything new a chance, unless it's a sure thing or the story will continue somehow (Flash for instance). Have both Almost Human/Intelligence building up on box, probably just going to delete. Most of these shows cancelled could easily get a short TV movie/1-3 episodes extra made while sets are still up and then air in the first break of new season shows. Show of faith? There's a reason ratings are getting less and less; no one wants to watch a show and get invested knowing full well it's going to get cancelled.
  • RavenRaven Posts: 1,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great news that the Mentalist has survived :D Loving the whole reboot this season, has breathed a lot more life into it . . . but was really expecting the axe to fall so pleasantly surprised (for once) :)
  • Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MENTALIST RENEWED

Bad teacher
    Intelligence
    Hostages
    Friends with better lives
    Crazy ones

all cancelled

Has bad teacher aired yet? I thought that was due to air at the end of the month, good news about The Mentalist but I fear its dead show walking so to speak, the Red John plot was strung out far too long and effectively killed the vibe and I would have preferred RD to have been either Lisbon or the red haired girl.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chris_TV wrote: »
    Thank goodness shows like The X Files were made in the 90's because they would not stand a chance now.

Thank goodness indeed! Despite some duff seasons that will always be a classic to me, love that show. Thank god for the 90's cos it wouldn't stand a chance in this day and age. People would be like David Duchovny/Gillian Anderson, who?
    Forum Member
    Do most networks even take into account ALL viewing figures and revenue from a show though? From what I've heard barely any have evolved past the Nielson ratings garbage. I always wonder how many shows cancelled in the past actually had good ratings and made money, but were cancelled based on Nielson ratings inaccuracy.

I'll be honest, shows getting cancelled used to gut me, but I'm finding I just can't let myself get hooked on anything much recently. The last few years have seen massive cuts to what I watch due to cancellations. This year has just been crazy. I've already decided not to give anything new a chance, unless it's a sure thing or the story will continue somehow (Flash for instance). Have both Almost Human/Intelligence building up on box, probably just going to delete. Most of these shows cancelled could easily get a short TV movie/1-3 episodes extra made while sets are still up and then air in the first break of new season shows. Show of faith? There's a reason ratings are getting less and less; no one wants to watch a show and get invested knowing full well it's going to get cancelled.

Thanks for the detailed reply.Its a vicious cycle I can only see continuing sadly and the decline of network tv continuing at a faster pace.
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ... Have both Almost Human/Intelligence building up on box, probably just going to delete.
    I think they're both worth trying an ep or two even knowing they got cancelled. "please stop scanning my balls...:p"
    ... There's a reason ratings are getting less and less; no one wants to watch a show and get invested knowing full well it's going to get cancelled.
    If only the studios would saying something like "these are our new series this year, we hope you like them cos we think they're all fab, but if any don't get the numbers we will give the writers the opportunity to craft a finale so the viewers who stuck with it until the end at least get some closure " - or something like that. No more being-left-hanging as they have committed to giving us an ending.