Options

B&M and other discount stores.

13»

Comments

• Options
    hmeisterhmeister Posts: 2,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a B&M opposite my flat. In fact the view from my living room window is of B&M, Lidl, and a retail park.

I think B&M has become my 3rd home. I always go in there first...if I can't find it in there, then I look elsewhere.

That must be great if you're having a party. You can get a shed load of cheap booze and snacks without any hassle.
  • Options
    LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    I have a B&M opposite my flat. In fact the view from my living room window is of B&M, Lidl, and a retail park.

I think B&M has become my 3rd home. I always go in there first...if I can't find it in there, then I look elsewhere.

I'm jealous, would love to live that close to a B&M!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I´ve never heard of B&M or Home Bargains but for the posters who live in London there is a shop called Pound World (I think - could be Pound Land) with branches in London. They sell cheap, branded food such as Cadbury´s, PG Tips and Tate & Lyle.

Also there is a shop called Tiger which is Danish and in other European cities, a few months ago I saw three branches opened in various parts of London. It sells cheap but good quality homeware for your kitchen, bathroom, etc. A bit like Cargo homestores.
  • Options
    Neil_HowdenNeil_Howden Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    I like them - due to the fact I can get a bottle of Ribena for 99p, whereas it is nearly twice that at Greggs! :eek:
  • Options
    ClunkClunk Posts: 3,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I´ve never heard of B&M or Home Bargains but for the posters who live in London there is a shop called Pound World (I think - could be Pound Land) with branches in London. They sell cheap, branded food such as Cadbury´s, PG Tips and Tate & Lyle.

Also there is a shop called Tiger which is Danish and in other European cities, a few months ago I saw three branches opened in various parts of London. It sells cheap but good quality homeware for your kitchen, bathroom, etc. A bit like Cargo homestores.

Ha Ha - you would be shot (with a gun costing a pound) for muddling those names up, by their relative owners.

One of the great beauties of both B&M and Home Bargains is that they are not restricted to the £1 price point. This means that you can often get better bargains - both in terms of paying less than a quid, and in terms of the fact that they will carry branded name goods (often bought on international markets) at a much cheaper price than the major retailers.

I get some things from the Pound shops ('World' or 'Land') and other things are much better in places like B&M and Home Bargains.

I believe that both brands are planning to move further and further South, and are doing the same, and would like to move into London though there are issues there with rent as that can become prohibitive for that type of business model.

I find that places like B&M etc are great for things like gardening accessories where it makes no sense to pay garden centre prices for a metal obelisk just because it comes from 'Wyevale'. There are lots of food bargains to be had too. I have also got lots of things like bedding - OK, so it is not the best quality, but if it looks nice and performs its function then that is what matters. Of course, some of the stuff is junk, and some is tasteless tat - but then taste is very subjective.

Until writing all this, I never knew I had so much of an opinion about these places !!! :D
  • Options
    Dan 54Dan 54 Posts: 1,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a similar shop in Bridgwater called Buyology,big store, usual stuff but a bit more furniture as well.
  • Options
    CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trouble is after the initial success of a store they get greedy and over-invest, build HUGE new stores out of town, carry a huge range of things that are covered more successfully by other outlets [ decorating, DIY and big furniture ] resulting in cavernous hangars with no-one in them.

Stick to the cheap food and toothpaste B&M
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    [stuff]

Okay, 2 things and neither of them are really related to the thread. Sorry. :blush:

1) What's a "DS Project Contestant"?
    2) I always think of B&M as being the motorbike importer who I bought my TZR250R from.

Carry on.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Okay, 2 things and neither of them are really related to the thread. Sorry. :blush:

1) What's a "DS Project Contestant"?
    2) I always think of B&M as being the motorbike importer who I bought my TZR250R from.

Carry on.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1963982&highlight=ds+project+contestant

There's a B&M around here, but not really within walking distance, so I'm not sure of any savings to be made, as I've got a Lidl, Aldi, a couple of pound shops etc. nearer.
  • Options
    DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Tiger's excellent. I bought some reading glasses there, a few storage bits and pieces, and their herbs and spices are dead cheap.
  • Options
    The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What is it with that life-size cutout transfer of a fake looking police officer they always have stuck on the front door? Like that is ever gonna deter anyone determined to shoplift.

What kind of message does that give out? Thrives beware! Life-size plastic transfers of fake police officers operating in this store. Crikey I bet that's got em all worried.
  • Options
    radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Candles and air fresheners always seem to be cheaper at stores like this I've noticed.
  • Options
    Dan 54Dan 54 Posts: 1,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Wizard wrote: »

What kind of message does that give out? Thrives beware! .

You gotta watch those thrives,they're everywhere.
  • Options
    DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dan 54 wrote: »
    You gotta watch those thrives,they're everywhere.

I've got "Gypsies, tramps and thrives" stuck in my head now.
  • Options
    fainéantfainéant Posts: 2,654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Wizard wrote: »
    What is it with that life-size cutout transfer of a fake looking police officer they always have stuck on the front door? Like that is ever gonna deter anyone determined to shoplift.

Certainly didn't deter these ones caught on CCTV and published on their website.

http://www.tjmorris.co.uk/crimebusters/
  • Options
    barlowconnorbarlowconnor Posts: 38,120
    Forum Member
    B & M's is one of my favourites. Although the discount stores are all good for different things.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    B&M is currently selling 500ml bottles of Oakham Ales Bishop's Farewell at £1.79, although I was surprised to find that it's only £1.97 in Tesco and Waitrose. It's probably £2.65 if it's on sale in the Co-Op.

It's also by far the cheapest place for camping stove gas canisters at £3.99 for four. They're on Amazon at £2.97, but you have to pay an extra £3.98 for delivery :D