Shoes for work with a decent sole?

unklesamunklesam Posts: 1,005
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I took a job last Summer that involves quite a bit of walking about, problem is I can't get bloody shoes to last, I think since last June I have counted 6 pairs of shoes I have went through. They wear away in the sole and then a hole develops and if outside you end up getting wet feet.

My latest pair was some Karrimor walking/hiking boots, quite expensive so I assumed they would last, I bought them 2nd week of January, sole cracked due to wearing away.

So I am after some recommendations, I wear casual clothes to work so anything from trainers to work boots are acceptable.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,383
    Forum Member
    Try something from the Merrells range? Any full time walking pro will probably say Dr Martins.
  • Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dr. Martens, either boots or shoes, I've found them both long lasting and comfortable.
  • WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dr Marten's or Mephisto.
  • unklesamunklesam Posts: 1,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dr Martens is a blast from the past, I remember wearing them to school in the early 90's, haven't seen them since. I remember they did last forever though.
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Magnums.. Same as what the emergency services wear.. I have a pair for work...

The Karrirmor shows you had were probably cheap in reality.. That brand is owned by sports direct now
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotters according to my friend who has worn nothing else for years.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 74
    Forum Member
    You can get DM boots for 60 odd quid if you look around.
  • Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dr Marten's Airwair should last for years. Or at least the upper will wear before the sole does :p
  • Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    I always used to wear Toetectors, or similar, for work when I was still working. Fortunately they were provided at regular intervals by my previous employer. As well as being extremely hard wearing, they also have the benefit of a protective steel toecap!

I never managed to wear a pair out! The only thing that would happen was that the inside of the shoes would disintegrate, but that only happened after a few years. I never managed to wear a sole out and I did used to do a fair amount of walking.

When we were issued with a new pair I always used to take the old pair home and wear them when out working in the garden!
  • ClunkClunk Posts: 3,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Magnums - I am very 'heavy footed', so shoes never last long... normally.

In the last 3 years I have got through just 2 pairs of Magnum boots... actually there was plenty of life left in the first pair, so I didn't need the second one, and there is lots of wear left in these. Honestly, for me, this is a miracle !!

To be fair, I have a retailer nearby that sells them at reduced prices, and I get some money back from work, but that said, although they are not cheap they are extremely comfortable from day one and last very well.

I do a lot of walking, often on uneven surfaces - as said above, emergency services use them - for a good reason.

Bottom line - don't buy cheap or fashion footwear if you need stout and lasting shoes/boots for your job.... in the end, it just doesn't pay off
  • tomvoxxtomvoxx Posts: 2,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I buy Doc Martens for work and usually a pair will last me about 18 months. They are issued to postmen and London Underground staff for a reason :)