Options

Can someone clever please explain what Progressive Policies are?

Tom2023Tom2023 Posts: 2,059
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The Left are forever using the term "Progressive Policies."

Can someone please explain what makes a policy progressive and what makes a policy unprogressive(?)

Comments

• Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blairite or Cleggite
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmm is someone clever for you someone who has heard of google......?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressivism
  • Options
    ZeronegativeZeronegative Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    Progressive policies are as follows.

1. Borrow money - adding to the debt.
    2. Spend Money - mainly on public service so no return economically.
    3. Increase Welfare handouts to keep your core voters happy.
    4. Scotland only - Blame the English for everything which goes wrong in Scotland but take credit for everything which goes right (SNP tactics).
  • Options
    An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,854
    Forum Member
    Hmmm is someone clever for you someone who has heard of google......?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressivism

I don't feel that this is how its been used recently by the alternative parties.

They seem to have seized upon it as a word to contrast with conservative. The inference I am taking is that the conservative party are about conserving (the past) we are about progressing to the brave new world of the future.

I may be quite wrong in doing so but I have been quietly filtering it out as empty rhetoric.
  • Options
    Black SheepBlack Sheep Posts: 15,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tom2023 wrote: »

Can someone please explain what makes a policy progressive and what makes a policy unprogressive(?)

Its an excellent phrase that can mean anything as it shows your supporters your forward thinking and the other parties just want to stagnate or regress.

It is of course a soundbite.
  • Options
    nainznainz Posts: 1,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Universally progressive = Social evolution resulting in perceived positive results, e.g. end of slavery, women's rites, right to vote are all big progressive changes.

Seemingly not progressive = Bedroom tax or mansion tax which are both driven by ideological ideas form the left or right that state a fundamental fairness but effect people disproportionally at both end of the scale.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't feel that this is how its been used recently by the alternative parties.

They seem to have seized upon it as a word to contrast with conservative. The inference I am taking is that the conservative party are about conserving (the past) we are about progressing to the brave new world of the future.

I may be quite wrong in doing so but I have been quietly filtering it out as empty rhetoric.

Conservates have claimed to be progressive at times as well.

Politically these terms are becoming meaningless sound bites (and their is an awful lot of lying too), but if you want a guide to what it actually means, I supplied that information.
  • Options
    clinchclinch Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tom2023 wrote: »

It's one of those meaningless marketing terms the supermarkets stick on food to con us - like 'natural' or 'country fresh'.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone would think we are still experiencing the General Election!
    Some people just can't move on from the relentless negativity directed at Labour.

What the Conservative support need to do now is promote their policies.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Politically these terms are becoming meaningless sound bites (and their is an awful lot of lying too), but if you want a guide to what it actually means, I supplied that information.

You did and I appreciated it. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You did and I appreciated it. :)

Fair enough then :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tassium wrote: »
    Anyone would think we are still experiencing the General Election!
    Some people just can't move on from the relentless negativity directed at Labour.

What the Conservative support need to do now is promote their policies.

Except for the posts directing negativity relentlessly at the Tories, Lib Dems, SNP and UKIP I suppose. Only the Greens and ..whoops just realised I have no idea how to spell Cllyd Cymrw (apologies) - seem to have come off unscathed so far.

Spelling lesson next I think. :D
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is no hard and fast definition of what are 'Progressive' policies. Broadly speaking Progressivism is the continued advancement towards becoming a more civilised society. Progressive policies could target a whole multitude of areas - for example, in terms of standard of living, availability of healthcare, skills & education, job opportunities, tax regime, social safety nets, freedom of movement, freedom of speech, non-discrimination, human rights. Of course it is open to interpretation as to how 'progressive' some policies really are. Some maybe far reaching whilst some just tickle the edges, such in the world of politics.
  • Options
    D_Mcd4D_Mcd4 Posts: 10,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Which is strange because I would say "conservative" is practically the opposite of "progressive"!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D_Mcd4 wrote: »
    Which is strange because I would say "conservative" is practically the opposite of "progressive"!

Yep, hense the sentence that followed.
  • Options
    Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

4. Scotland only - Blame the English for everything which goes wrong in Scotland but take credit for everything which goes right (SNP tactics).
    So the Tories are progressive then? I didn't know that? Because they have certainly done no.1.
  • Options
    James2001James2001 Posts: 73,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's just a meaningless soundbite that sounds good, but in all honest doesn't mean anything.
  • Options
    Mr_X_123Mr_X_123 Posts: 1,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why did the Tories borrow money for virtually every year they were in office between 1979-1997. Were they progressive too?
  • Options
    BrawladBrawlad Posts: 5,711
    Forum Member
    D_Mcd4 wrote: »

I would think the opposite of progressive is reactionary ie the conservative party at present
  • Options
    D_Mcd4D_Mcd4 Posts: 10,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr_X_123 wrote: »
    Why did the Tories borrow money for virtually every year they were in office between 1979-1997. Were they progressive too?

"Victorian values"!
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brawlad wrote: »
    I would think the opposite of progressive is reactionary ie the conservative party at present

Surely the opposite of progressive is regressive? Again, could well be the Tories:p
  • Options
    Black SheepBlack Sheep Posts: 15,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brawlad wrote: »

Surely the opposite of progressive is regressive?

OOf, poster above beat me to it.
  • Options
    BrawladBrawlad Posts: 5,711
    Forum Member
    Surely the opposite of progressive is regressive?

OOf, poster above beat me to it.

Antonyms for reactionary
    liberal
    progressive
    radical
    Roget's 21st Century Thesaurus, Third Edition Copyright © 2013 by the Philip Lief Group.
    Cite This Source
  • Options
    woodrowwoodrow Posts: 770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Progressive means refusing the £1.25 million in short money because you have the full weight of the Scottish civil service behind you. Oh hang on
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its an excellent phrase that can mean anything as it shows your supporters your forward thinking and the other parties just want to stagnate or regress.

It is of course a soundbite.

I also think it creates the feeling within people that anything which is old is rubbish, and anything different is great, whatever it is.
    There could be a way of doing things from the past, or which is current, which works perfectly fine, but progressive politics would probably say that it's no good and we have to change it for the sake of changing it because we need to be progressive.

Obviously there are some things which we needed to progress from, such as slavery, racism, homophobia, and equal rights for women. But it eventually comes to a point where you need a very strong argument for where progress is needed and where it isn't. There may even be a case sometimes to adopt a way of doing things from the past if it's appropriate.

When Labour start waving the word progression around it doesn't mean anything if they're not using it to apply to something specific, it's completely hollow. It's as empty a promise as saying 'vote for CHANGE' where it isn't even made clear what they want to change from and to change to.