Options

Reinstalling windows 7

len112len112 Posts: 4,156
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've had my present windows 7 installation for more than a year now but it's starting to give problems , it's now taking ages to start up though once up it seems fine . Is there a way of refreshing the windows installation to replace any lost files , and failing that what's the easiest way to reinstall it from scratch ? Will using my windows 7 disc and choosing custom install do the trick ?

Comments

• Options
    Snake_EaterSnake_Eater Posts: 918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If its slowed down alot now, it may just be best reinstalling it from scratch. Backup all your data and boot the pc with the win 7 disk.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    Check your startup programs.
    There will be lots that still tried to load that you may have uninstalled.
    start - run - msconfig - ok, startup tab, check the list for those still wanting to run that you don't have, and uncheck any you don't want to startup automatically.
    reboot and then see how fast startup is.
  • Options
    LoobsterLoobster Posts: 11,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    len112 wrote: »
    I've had my present windows 7 installation for more than a year now but it's starting to give problems , it's now taking ages to start up though once up it seems fine . Is there a way of refreshing the windows installation to replace any lost files

Missing files would result in things just not working, it would not result in a slowdown.

PCs do need a reinstallation every so often anyway. Maybe you're due.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I find installing new Nvidia drivers without properly removing the old one first slows down my boot up dramatically. I tend to use Driver Sweeper to make sure the old driver is completely cleaned out. Also, CCleaner is a great program for clearing out junk and improving the boot up. I've been using W7 myself for a year and my boot up is still nice and speedy with no need for a reinstall thanks to these apps. :)