Options

Buried Dog today

2»

Comments

• Options
    wh666-666wh666-666 Posts: 1,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So no this thread shouldn't be removed actually...there are plenty more "disturbing" things happening in the world than just this.

I agree with you.

But read the t&c of the site. Illegal activity in particular.

Like it or not, whether it was a mercy killing/euthanasia or animal abuse, it is illegal for a member of the public to kill a dog and some may consider it cruel. The law states, the police must be informed if you killed a dog in a road accident for example. The law does not cover cats in the same context, but killing one can still be an act of cruelty.

So genocide, or my upset colon from last nights indian, is perhaps more disturbing than this. But this incident is still illegal and a violation of the t&c's of the site.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,990
    Forum Member
    wh666-666 wrote: »
    I agree with you.

But read the t&c of the site. Illegal activity in particular.

Like it or not, whether it was a mercy killing/euthanasia or animal abuse, it is illegal for a member of the public to kill a dog and some may consider it cruel. The law states, the police must be informed if you killed a dog in a road accident for example. The law does not cover cats in the same context, but killing one can still be an act of cruelty.

So genocide, or my upset colon from last nights indian, is perhaps more disturbing than this. But this incident is still illegal and a violation of the t&c's of the site.

People on this forum post about parking tickets , speeding tickets, drink driving etc all the time and there posts don't get deleted even though there technically illegal :P

But seriously sure its illegal and if there was some paedophile asking for advice on how to run away from authorities then sure that should come into effect but this person answering the question didn't even take part in the act of killing the dog so you know can't really lay the blame on them just saying.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People are upset because it is an emotional response, you can't really be telling them what they can and can't be upset about.:)
  • Options
    MarellaKMarellaK Posts: 5,783
    Forum Member
    It's not just that it's illegal, I think the act of murdering an animal is barbaric and cruel. 'Smothering' a dog is not going to kill it quickly, the poor dog must have been terrified, so I don't know why some posters are referring to the act as a 'mercy killing'.

It really wasn't. Mercy killing would have been taking the dog to the vet (or even having the vet come to the house - that option was available for my cat) and having the dog euthanased in a painless, quick and 'humane' way. I have seen a local Irish farmer shoot a suffering dog but at least that was a quick death and more humane than waiting for a vet or allowing the dog to die in agony. Smothering is not a nice way to die. :(

I don't know if the original post is a wind up or not but I don't think anyone should be commending him/her for the mum's actions.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    MarellaK wrote: »
    It's not just that it's illegal, I think the act of murdering an animal is barbaric and cruel. 'Smothering' a dog is not going to kill it quickly, the poor dog must have been terrified, so I don't know why some posters are referring to the act as a 'mercy killing'.

It really wasn't. Mercy killing would have been taking the dog to the vet (or even having the vet come to the house - that option was available for my cat) and having the dog euthanased in a painless, quick and 'humane' way. I have seen a local Irish farmer shoot a suffering dog but at least that was a quick death and more humane than waiting for a vet or allowing the dog to die in agony. Smothering is not a nice way to die. :(

I don't know if the original post is a wind up or not but I don't think anyone should be commending him/her for the mum's actions.
    I'm one of those posters you're talking about who was taken in (I should have known better after all this time) and tried to put the OP's mind at rest, without properly taking in what had happened. At the time I posted, I thought the OP to be distressed at what his mother had done and thought maybe they were a young person so was trying to offer some comfort, now I'm not even sure any of it happened at all. I also missed the part about the 'state' Stella was in.

I have already said I completely retract all of the comments in my first post, which I stress again.
  • Options
    lorrylorry Posts: 2,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WTF people on this thread are being ridiculous, this person was just asking for advice and know what happened was wrong fgs...
    Don't tell me I'm being ridiculous for being appalled to read about the completely barbaric way this dog was killed. The OP didn't know what happened was wrong - he asked for our opinions on whether it was wrong or not IIRC. Some think it was okay, some think it was wrong. We're all entitled to our opinion.
    ..look people do desperate things in the name of love it's happened so many times before...its what makes us human to be honest while what was done is "cruel" fact is the same thing happens even when humans are suffering we have moments of crazyness where we don't think about actions and end up doing something .
    I don't "get" that it was done in the name of love at all. What would have been loving is to take the suffering animal to a professional who could have ended its suffering in a quick and humane way. The OP stated the animal had been suffering for a while, it's not like it was a sudden condition that came on without warning. And to say the same thing happens even when humans are suffering(?) - if you're talking about euthanasia then as far as I'm aware that's still considered to be murder.
    But truth is this is life and human..life ain't all about fluffy bunnies and living a long happy life without anything bad happening at all which is what some people seem to think.

So no this thread shouldn't be removed actually...there are plenty more "disturbing" things happening in the world than just this.
    Of course life isn't all about fluffy bunnies, but most of us know the difference between right and wrong, and try to act appropriately. And we know there are more disturbing things happening in the world, as we speak. It doesn't make this situation null and void though!
  • Options
    ste1969ste1969 Posts: 1,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    j4Rose wrote: »
    I don't understand that either. In fact, it makes no sense whatsoever. I don't really believe your story OP, sorry.

neither do i its bullshit
  • Options
    simon40simon40 Posts: 620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lets hope your Mother doesn't smother you tonight, while you sleep!

I agree really horrible story and sounds like it was done to save on vet charges and cremation.
    I really hope she gets caught and reported to the RSPCA.
  • Options
    danceslikehippodanceslikehippo Posts: 380
    Forum Member
    I have to say IF this is true then your mother is nothing short of cruel !
    As a dog owner i will beg, steal or borrow to stop her from any pain or suffering, but take her life with my own hands? Absolutely not.
    I certainly would not allow my kids to witness anything so barbaric.

If you really came to this forum for advice, then take this , phone the rspca and report your mother......
    1) for allowing the dog to suffer for so long and get in such a state
    and
    2) for ending its life it such a way

RIP doggie x run free at rainbow bridge x
  • Options
    bexmil89bexmil89 Posts: 4,928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a horrible and terrifying way for a dog to go:(:mad:
    I don't believe that the vets would refuse to put the dog down if she was in that bad a state.
    I'm a dog owner myself and could never imagine killing my dog to end its misery.
    Poor Stella must have been terrified and confused seeing an owner she loved doing this to her :(