Options

Any experts on replacement rechargeable batteries?

InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I need a replacement for a rechargeable battery for a radio. It's about 85mmx50mmx15mm, has a pair of wires terminating in a small white plug, and has "GSP 085085 3500mAh 7.4v" printed on the blue plastic wrapper.

I've looked online and the only places I can find selling these are Chinese wholesalers. Am I doomed to sending the radio back to the manufacturers (it's not under guarantee so chargeable) or can anyone recommend a UK supplier?

Comments

• Options
    Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    Yes, it looks like they're available on Alibaba!

What make is the radio? Don't they have a distributor in the UK who would be responsible for the spares and service arrangements?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Galaxy266 wrote: »
    Yes, it looks like they're available on Alibaba!

What make is the radio? Don't they have a distributor in the UK who would be responsible for the spares and service arrangements?

I contacted them and they said the radio had to be returned to them (in the UK) for the battery to be replaced. As I've already taken the old battery out I hoped I could simply buy a new one instead of paying for the job to be done and for postage to the factory and back.
  • Options
    Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    Right, so I presume they aren't willing just to sell you a battery pack only, then?

If this is the case then I think they've got you over a barrel on this one, assuming it's a decent radio and worth keeping. I'm afraid this sort of thing is becoming more common these days with manufacturers not being willing to supply spares.

I don't know how much ability you have practically but, of course, you could always look on battery manufacturers/suppliers websites and select a suitable battery in terms of battery type, voltage, ampere-hour rating and physical shape and size. If it didn't have the correct connector you could always cut the connector off the old battery pack and solder it onto the new one.

Sorry, I don't think there's very much more I can suggest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The worst case scenario is to use it as a mains-only radio and eventually buy a new set that runs off a user-replaceable rechargeable battery pack. Although rechargeable is the best option for a portable radio I've already paid for a replacement for this one a few years ago, and the carriage cost will add at least a fiver each way, so maybe this time I'll live it as a mains radio.
  • Options
    KennedyCKennedyC Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That seems like quite a small size for the capacity. There are other battery packs available for 7.4v and 3500mAh but about 30% bigger. Is the battery in a plastic housing or a set of cells joined together under a plastic sleeve. Sometimes you can buy some smaller cells and join them together then wrap in plastic shrink wrap. 7.4v = 6 cells of 1.23v.
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The dimensions seem similar to those used for R/C cars. For example this one has right voltage and capacity, length and width but 20mm thicker.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-3200mAh-7-4V-25C-Rechargeable-LiPo-Battery-for-1-10-1-8-Rc-Cars-Trucks-buggy-/291187144094?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item43cc1b359e

As KennedyC mentioned your battery seems slim for that capacity. How much space is there ? There are other R/C batteries of lower capacity that will fit but obviously offer lower run time on battery.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »

As KennedyC mentioned your battery seems slim for that capacity. How much space is there ?

There is just enough space to squeeze the battery back in. A bigger pack wouldn't fit.

Weird. I wonder how they decided on that battery. From those alibaba listings looks like a mass-produced component, but not one available to consumers (unless they want a lot of spares).
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KennedyC wrote: »
    Sometimes you can buy some smaller cells and join them together then wrap in plastic shrink wrap. 7.4v = 6 cells of 1.23v.

That's what I was thinking. It should be possible to take the old pack apart (it's knackered anyway) and see what cells are used to make it and then rebuild with new ones.
  • Options
    frightleverfrightlever Posts: 1,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bobcar wrote: »
    That's what I was thinking. It should be possible to take the old pack apart (it's knackered anyway) and see what cells are used to make it and then rebuild with new ones.

Jeeze, just had a flashback to watching my Dad do that about twenty years ago.

Those LiPo batteries can be a bit flame-y if you're not careful with them so I'd be real careful. If it's a lithium Ion style cell then, yeah, that'd be a possibility.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jeeze, just had a flashback to watching my Dad do that about twenty years ago.

Those LiPo batteries can be a bit flame-y if you're not careful with them so I'd be real careful. If it's a lithium Ion style cell then, yeah, that'd be a possibility.

I am also guessing that if you use those in a device designed for Ni-cad or Ni-MH then the charger may not be able to control the charge correctly and potentially cause a fire ?
  • Options
    evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    What is the make and model of the radio, OP? I suggest you Google 'lipo battery pack 3500mAh 7.4v' and then contact some of the retailers. This battery is similar but too big perhaps: http://www.myhobbystore.co.uk/product/172233/gens-ace-3500mah-74v-rx-2s1p-lipo-battery-packs
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    evil c wrote: »
    What is the make and model of the radio, OP? I suggest you Google 'lipo battery pack 3500mAh 7.4v' and then contact some of the retailers. This battery is similar but too big perhaps: http://www.myhobbystore.co.uk/product/172233/gens-ace-3500mah-74v-rx-2s1p-lipo-battery-packs

I don't think OP is using Lipo, Until the open up the pack probably won't know what technology its using.