Comments

• Options
    gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm glad Karen's family are being spared a trial. There was never any doubt as to what he had done. I just wish life meant whole life he should never be released he is very dangerous.

R.I.P Karen Buckley.
  • Options
    darkislanddarkisland Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's something very strange about the vermin's history. He attended an exclusive private school, yet was arrested, aged 20, living in a council sink housing estate and charged with forging banknotes.

http://www.clydebankpost.co.uk/news/roundup/articles/2014/07/10/503600-drumchapel-forger-avoids-jail-for-fake-note-scam/?mode=print
  • Options
    bookclub10bookclub10 Posts: 4,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Live reporting from the court here...

https://twitter.com/irishexaminer

A detailed article on events ...

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/live-alexander-pacteau-admits-murder-of-karen-buckley-690536.html

Will he be sentenced today?
  • Options
    dee-recdee-rec Posts: 2,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jesus, the details in that last link are horrific, what the hell is wrong with some people doing a thing like that. Poor woman and her poor family, horrendous.
  • Options
    bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member
    ...hanging is definitely too good!... >:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He will be sentenced on September 8th.
  • Options
    SparklySwedeSparklySwede Posts: 1,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is such a horribly sad story. I wish I hadn't read that Irish Examiner link tbh.

How can a trivial argument cause someone to murder someone else? I know this isn't the first or last time it will happen but just what makes people react like this?

The details of how he tried to hide his actions are terrifying tbh, the lengths people will go to. I also feel terrible for his friend and mother who were staying in his flat at the time after reading that. Also goes to show how calculating he is. I'm only glad he admitted it now rather than dragging her poor family and friends through a long trial.

I hope the sentence is adequate and he isn't released for a long, long time.
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hang the ******* ****!!! :mad:

Poor woman, may she RIP :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The heartbreaking statement read out by Karen's father outside the court today can be read here...

http://www.thejournal.ie/karen-buckley-family-statement-2265135-Aug2015/?utm_source=twitter_self

Does anybody know if a life sentence is mandatory in such a case in Scotland?
  • Options
    trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Irish Examiner link is very informative, a tough read, too.

What an evil bastard. His actions after the murder are quite hard to describe, in how callous they are.
  • Options
    Thomas CrewesThomas Crewes Posts: 733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Previously tried for attempted rape too, I bet most of that jury are feeling pretty sombre today.
  • Options
    pianofortepianoforte Posts: 630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Previously tried for attempted rape too, I bet most of that jury are feeling pretty sombre today.

"He also told the trial, which was heard in front of Lord Matthews, that his belt buckle had become undone as he fell in the lane, which was offered as an explanation for why he was seen adjusting his trousers in the middle of the lane after neighbouring residents had shouted at him."

And they believed this guff?
  • Options
    Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Trying to make out he is gay as a cover-up too. What an a**e.
  • Options
    trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    His counsel Sarah Livingston describing him as a "daft young lad" - re: the attempted rape. *rolleyes*

Very odd the witnesses' evidence didn't sway the jury. Uncharitable of me, but I hope prison life is especially hellish for him. The biggest of Wing Daddies.
  • Options
    darkislanddarkisland Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His counsel Sarah Livingston describing him as a "daft young lad" - re: the attempted rape. *rolleyes*

Very odd the witnesses' evidence didn't sway the jury. Uncharitable of me, but I hope prison life is especially hellish for him. The biggest of Wing Daddies.

I would assume that being a well spoken privately schooled type from a 'good' family bought him more than a few brownie points with the judge and jury.
    during his trial for rape.

His retained counsel during that trial, Sarah Livingstone must be a tad distraught.
  • Options
    dee-recdee-rec Posts: 2,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Daft young lad' indeed, it is unbelievable he was found not guilty of that assault! He is a very dangerous man, I hope he never sees the light of day again.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Just heard Karen Buckley's father speaking outside court and I'm close to tears. Incredibly moving.
    I sincerely hope that piece of s*** is destroyed in jail & rots in hell for what he did.
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    It reads like a horror story. Poor girl, how dreadful. He was so calm and calculating, in his attempts to get rid of the body.
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jesus. How the hell was he found not guilty of the attempted rape? :(
  • Options
    Wbc-WorkerWbc-Worker Posts: 815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bookclub10 wrote: »
    The heartbreaking statement read out by Karen's father outside the court today can be read here...

http://www.thejournal.ie/karen-buckley-family-statement-2265135-Aug2015/?utm_source=twitter_self

Does anybody know if a life sentence is mandatory in such a case in Scotland?

he will live in Fear because ' they will nail him ' and there will be no escape so i doubt he will last a Month - I would expect he will be held at HM Prison Barlinnie { where they hung Peter Manuel in 1958 - shame they dont do that any more } but they may have him on ' Rule 43 ' so I doubt if he is mingling with the other prisoners but over time they will nail him.
  • Options
    xfactorisgr8xfactorisgr8 Posts: 20,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Horrific murder.

Poor girl never stood a chance. Listening to her family outside court was heartbreaking they seem like a lovely family.

Also the member of the public who remembered that Pacteau used to store fireworks at the farm - great job in coming forward to the police!

RIP young girl -

Rot in Jail - Pacteau
  • Options
    Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is such a horribly sad story. I wish I hadn't read that Irish Examiner link tbh.

How can a trivial argument cause someone to murder someone else? I know this isn't the first or last time it will happen but just what makes people react like this?

The details of how he tried to hide his actions are terrifying tbh, the lengths people will go to. I also feel terrible for his friend and mother who were staying in his flat at the time after reading that. Also goes to show how calculating he is. I'm only glad he admitted it now rather than dragging her poor family and friends through a long trial.

I hope the sentence is adequate and he isn't released for a long, long time.

BIB: Its never the trivial argument that is the cause, just the spark if you will. Often you look into them and they have had a lot of issues and it ends up being the straw that broke the camels back. Road Rage is similar at times as well, a rather minor driving incident ends up spiraling into a roadside murder.
  • Options
    STEVE 03STEVE 03 Posts: 7,856
    Forum Member
    As controversial as it sounds, cases like this they should bring back the death penalty. This scum of the earth has confessed now he must pay the price and be executed. Sorry but this evil person has absolutely no place in society.
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    Miss XYZ wrote: »
    Jesus. How the hell was he found not guilty of the attempted rape? :(

Sadly, probably the same reasons that so many guilty sex offenders walk free.
  • Options
    RosebuddyRosebuddy Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't see him getting a whole life tariff for one murder, especially since he's pleaded guilty.

Life sentence will be the same as it's always been, with good behaviour and a pretence at remorse, he'll be out in 8 yrs, maybe 6.