Sense and Sensibiltiy on BBC1

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    I'm afraid I'm the opposite. I love Alan Rickman as Col. Brandon, but not David Morrisey. I can't help but think of 'Blackpool' whenever I see him, and for some reason the voiceover on the gala bingo advert. He is a very fine actor, but just not my personal choice for Brandon. :p
  • ludovicaludovica Posts: 25,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also love Alan Rickman, but its time people realised that both Brandon and Severus Snape are supposed to be in their thirties... Rickman is in his sixties iirc
  • ff999ff999 Posts: 4,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ludovica wrote: »
    I also love Alan Rickman, but its time people realised that both Brandon and Severus Snape are supposed to be in their thirties... Rickman is in his sixties iirc

Well I never!
    I had no idea he is in his sixties (he appears to be 61), he is taller than I thought (6ft1") and I thought he was gay, ever since I thought how wonderful he was in S&S, and someone told me not to bother lusting after him. (been in a relationship with Rima Horton since 1965 - when he was 19!! Long time....)
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000614/bio
  • KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When Barchester Chronicles was first broadcast, Rickman was in his 30s!

K
  • nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ff999 wrote: »
    Well I never!
    I had no idea he is in his sixties (he appears to be 61), he is taller than I thought (6ft1") and I thought he was gay, ever since I thought how wonderful he was in S&S, and someone told me not to bother lusting after him. (been in a relationship with Rima Horton since 1965 - when he was 19!! Long time....)
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000614/bio

Nooo Alan's not gay! I don't know why people think that. :confused:

Looking forward to second episode of TV adaptation tomorrow. :)
  • donlothariodonlothario Posts: 5,289
    Forum Member

Maybe people do realise, (after all, you are not the only person who can count on their fingers and work out that HP's parents would only be about 37/38 by the end of the series), and judge them on their performances rather than whether or not they are the correct age.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,679
    Forum Member
    He was 49 when he played Brandon though - although I grant you that's still quite a bit older than Brandon was supposed to be. :)

Who'd be a casting director, eh? Well, probably I would actually :D - but what pleases one viewer appalls another.

Anyway, I agree with nethwen and I am looking forward to the second episode!
  • Victim Of FateVictim Of Fate Posts: 5,157
    Forum Member
    I'm sure there wasn't this level of antagonism between Brandon and Willoughby in the book.
  • ludovicaludovica Posts: 25,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow.... I'm really enjoying this

I agree that we are seeing a lot of stuff that the book only hints at though, but I suppose thats reasonable
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alan Rickman was the definitive Brandon, for me. I just don't "feel" this guy's passion for Marianne. He seems too reserved.

I howled at the Misses Steele. I thought one of them had modelled herself on the receptionist in Doc Martin. Loved them, though. :D
  • KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haven't read the book. Didn't see the film. Don't usually go for "girlie" costume drama (but Cranford has corrupted me!).

Enjoying this immensely!

K
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eww I dont fancy Willoughby much :p

No, I found him a distinct disappointment--too 'piggy' for my taste.

The film of S and S is one of my favourites, so it's quite hard for me not to measure this vesion too closely against it.

One thing I did miss from the film was the moment when Colonel Brandon (Alan Rickman) first sees Marianne--he comes in as she is singing at the piano, and you can see it's love at first sight.
    The TV version of Brandon is too stiff for my taste, and talks to Marianne like a stern headmaster. I really think his manner would be more polished and courteous than that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 74
    Forum Member
    Well, I for one absolutely loved the end of the episode, when Marianne swayed and Brandon was there to catch her. Very romantic and highly symbolic! I'm loving David Morrissey in this. For me, he's the best thing about it!
  • PufflePuffle Posts: 2,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The ending was the best bit for me - not because it finished but the symbolism of Brandon catching Marianne. Other than that I'm sorry to say but the episode dragged for me and I found the gobby one of the Misses Steele's highly irritating. I think the last episode will be rushed as there is so much to pack in which is a real shame.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,846
    Forum Member
    Didn't enjoy last night's episode as much as the first. Not totally sure why!
  • *Melissa**Melissa* Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    I agree that the ending was the best.

More like this please BBC One! :)
  • LippincoteLippincote Posts: 7,132
    Forum Member
    Puffle wrote: »
    Other than that I'm sorry to say but the episode dragged for me. I think the last episode will be rushed as there is so much to pack in which is a real shame.

Same here. I enjoyed the first episode (apart from the bodice ripping intro which I thought was very Andrew Davies and very unnecessary) but I found last night's a bit tedious. But a very big improvement on last year's JA offerings for ITV.

I think all the actors are doing a good job though. Willoughby is not really a looker but I am not sure that is vital, he needs to be a charmer and the actor is good. (Long time since I read the book so I can't remember if he is described as desperately handsome.)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I prefer the casting of this Edward to Hugh Grants Edward- but I don't get any chemistry between him and Elinor at all. Which is disappointing.

I did think that Marianne grew on me in this episode, still don't like this Willoughby though, it's purely superficial as he's just not as attractive as Greg Wise was!
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Willoughby simply isn't good-looking or charismatic enough to pull off the part,
    he doesn't work for me at all.

So far - Janet McTeer & David Morrissey are the best things in the production.
    Not forgetting Clare Skinner...
  • MollieMMollieM Posts: 125
    Forum Member
    I've been disappointed with this adaptation. I love period dramas and the BBC rarely disappoint. I thought Cranford was almost perfect in every way and P&P with Ehle/Firth was fantastic. But S&S is so lifeless and almost all the actors, for me anyway, are incredibly bland and forgettable......and dare I say it, quite unattractive or boring to watch. I'm sorry, they don't need to be stunners, but just interesting to observe or real character in their face and eyes as they act. Anyone who IS acting their socks off is swamped with the lack of chemistry and lifelessness of others.

Perhaps the film version was just too exceptional plus Austen has been done to death now IMO.

Having said all that I've still been watching it as it is far preferable to the various reality tv incarnations on offer!
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MollieM wrote: »
    I've been disappointed with this adaptation. I love period dramas and the BBC rarely disappoint. I thought Cranford was almost perfect in every way and P&P with Ehle/Firth was fantastic. But S&S is so lifeless and almost all the actors, for me anyway, are incredibly bland and forgettable......and dare I say it, quite unattractive or boring to watch. I'm sorry, they don't need to be stunners, but just interesting to observe or real character in their face and eyes as they act. Anyone who IS acting their socks off is swamped with the lack of chemistry and lifelessness of others.

Perhaps the film version was just too exceptional plus Austen has been done to death now IMO.

Having said all that I've still been watching it as it is far preferable to the various reality tv incarnations on offer!
    I think it's just this production. I agree - it's lifeless & bland.
    I thought the same thing.

The trouble is - the actors chosen to play Elinor, Marianne, Willoughby & Edward just don't have enough charisma. I don't actually think it's about looks. A good actor/actress should be able to convince you that they're the part, whatever. In fact - Edward is better looking than he needs to be...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Goodness, this Marianne is aggravating. Kate Winslet managed to convey the naivety and romanticism of a young woman without being tooth-grindingly annoying. In this version, Marianne is so unlikable that I actually snorted with laughter when Willoughby tells her that he will be leaving indefinitely.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,846
    Forum Member
    A problem I have had with this production is that it's just been too obvious from the start that Willoughby is a cad.
  • BringBackThamesBringBackThames Posts: 3,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KennyT wrote: »
    Haven't read the book. Didn't see the film. Don't usually go for "girlie" costume drama (but Cranford has corrupted me!).

Enjoying this immensely!

K
    Yeh me too.:p
    But then I've always been a sucker for Austen!:cool:
  • Victim Of FateVictim Of Fate Posts: 5,157
    Forum Member
    MollieM wrote: »

Yeah, I was talking about this yesterday. It's just not as fun. I can get out my mum's Pride & Prejudice DVD and watch it, from start to finish, because it's just so fun to watch. I can't envisage doing that with this version.

And yeah, as someone said, Willoughby is like a pantomime-baddie.