American sitcoms shown in Britain in the 80s

Comments

• davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    What about Miami Vice and The Crime Stories?
  • kitchenpersonkitchenperson Posts: 478
    Forum Member
    davor wrote: »
    What about Miami Vice
    I wouldn't class it as a sitcom. Neither was "Moonlighting", come to that.
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's see. I remember loving Married with Children. Cheers, Alf, Golden Girls, Mork and Mindy, Happy Days, Roseanne, Moonlighting, Hooperman and yes I watched the Cosby Show.

I also watched The Wonder Years but would that be classed as a Sitcom?
  • hallstarhallstar Posts: 925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to record a show called Head of the class about a New York high school. was shown at about 3 in the afternoon on BBC1. Billy Connolly took over as teacher but not sure if that was shown here as never seen that.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    hallstar wrote: »
    I used to record a show called Head of the class about a New York high school. was shown at about 3 in the afternoon on BBC1. Billy Connolly took over as teacher but not sure if that was shown here as never seen that.

Howard Hessman IIRC before Connolly, pretty sure I saw him in the role.
    I don't remember the show with any affection so I must have surfed into it occasionally.

Just been through the thread and it's brought so many theme tunes back to mind.
    'This is the Garry Shandling Show and this is Garry's theme song...'
    I won't attempt to watch any of the shows I do remember fondly again.
    I managed to get an episode or 2 of Dream on (page 1), couldn't finish even one episode.
    I'm sorely tempted by Soap though, now it's been mentioned.
    Soap was on Sunday Afternoons on ITV wasn't it?

Kate and Allie, Alice (Kiss my grits), my Ch4 comedy favourites, I remember been in a fan club of one, nobody I knew liked them.
    I was listening to Bob Newhart doing his particular brand of stand-up only last week, had it on the computer for ages.

Going on a tangent, Ozzie sitcom that only I watched apparently.
    Does anyone remember Home Sweet Home with John Bluthal, someone else must have seen it.
    I remember him as a Spike Millican regular others will remember him from Vicar of Dibley (just found out he was in it).
  • snukrsnukr Posts: 19,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nearly Departed with Eric Idle playing a ghost.

The Munsters Today, a poor remake of the original.
  • snukrsnukr Posts: 19,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Howard Hessman IIRC before Connolly, pretty sure I saw him in the role.
    I don't remember the show with any affection so I must have surfed into it occasionally.

Just been through the thread and it's brought so many theme tunes back to mind.
    'This is the Garry Shandling Show and this is Garry's theme song...'
    I won't attempt to watch any of the shows I do remember fondly again.
    I managed to get an episode or 2 of Dream on (page 1), couldn't finish even one episode.
    I'm sorely tempted by Soap though, now it's been mentioned.
    Soap was on Sunday Afternoons on ITV wasn't it?

Kate and Allie, Alice (Kiss my grits), my Ch4 comedy favourites, I remember been in a fan club of one, nobody I knew liked them.
    I was listening to Bob Newhart doing his particular brand of stand-up only last week, had it on the computer for ages.
    Soap was shown late Friday evenings in the Granada region, my brother loved it, we laughed more at him going into hysterics watching it than the programme itself. :)
  • Ben_Fisher1Ben_Fisher1 Posts: 2,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A Different World, gosh that's fairly obscure now, doubt many people under 30 have heard of it. 'It's a different woooorld from where you come from' Very late 80s fresh prince jazzy jeff era!
  • dave_windowsdave_windows Posts: 5,937
    Forum Member
    Docter Huskable?
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The showings of 'Soap' must vary a lot regionally cos I remember it being on late at night, maybe a Sunday?, in the HTV region. I remember hearing the loud theme music and sneaking out to see what it was after my bedtime! (Half Ten-ish? Which was late at that age) Assumed it must've been very 'adult', which I suppose it was, really. All the Soap Opera jokes, and a lot more besides, would've gone over my 11 year old head!

Then again, I thought 'Bilko' must've been terribly 'adult' as it was always on BBC1 just before closedown! A couple of years later, I was watching it with my Dad and chuckling away, of course. Great stuff.

Used to like Alice too. Channel 4 about 5 O'clock? Oh, it's all coming back...
  • mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A Different World, gosh that's fairly obscure now, doubt many people under 30 have heard of it. 'It's a different woooorld from where you come from' Very late 80s fresh prince jazzy jeff era!

Yep Denise went to university and then got chucked out after one year and it was rehashed with the other characters.
    Forum Member
    Docter Huskable?

I know you're trying to be funny or 'on point' again, but The Cosby show has been mentioned more than once.
    Forum Member
    mikebuk wrote: »
    Yep Denise went to university and then got chucked out after one year and it was rehashed with the other characters.

Ah, just remembered that was a spin off of the Cosby Show, couldn't remember where it 'came from' before, watched it for a few seasons, remember it as been 'watchable' rather than anything more.
  • owen10owen10 Posts: 127,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone here remember Crazy like a Fox and The Larry Sanders show
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apart from Bilko I couldn't stand any of them.
  • mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    owen10 wrote: »
    Does anyone here remember Crazy like a Fox and The Larry Sanders show

I watched Crazy Like A Fox. If I remember right, an old bloke detective who always dragged his unwilling son along in his cases. He may have been a lawyer.
  • CampcrusaderCampcrusader Posts: 3,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This thread is bringing back so many happy memories. I particularly loved 'The Golden Girls', which still raises a good chuckle from me, 30 years on.

I remember a couple of absolute stinkers, though:

'Small Wonder' - I seem to recall this being about a family with a robot girl...
    'The Charmings' - truly awful, it aired on TV-am, with a plot about Snow White and her evil step-mother (played by Judy Parfitt - better known for 'Call the Midwife')...
    and 'Marblehead Manor', which I can't recall much about, other than it starred Linda Thorson (Tara King in 'The Avengers')...
  • dodger0703dodger0703 Posts: 1,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No one has mentioned Rhoda with Carlton the depressing doorman
  • davadsdavads Posts: 8,640
    Forum Member
    dodger0703 wrote: »
    No one has mentioned Rhoda with Carlton the depressing doorman

I think it was '70s.
  • AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    The showings of 'Soap' must vary a lot regionally cos I remember it being on late at night, maybe a Sunday?, in the HTV region. I remember hearing the loud theme music and sneaking out to see what it was after my bedtime! (Half Ten-ish? Which was late at that age) Assumed it must've been very 'adult', which I suppose it was, really. All the Soap Opera jokes, and a lot more besides, would've gone over my 11 year old head!

Then again, I thought 'Bilko' must've been terribly 'adult' as it was always on BBC1 just before closedown! A couple of years later, I was watching it with my Dad and chuckling away, of course. Great stuff.

Used to like Alice too. Channel 4 about 5 O'clock? Oh, it's all coming back...
    Soap did vary alot in it's showing times, we were always missing it. where I lived in Wales we could get HTV West, Htv wales and Westward with varying picture quality so would always be hunting around to find a showing. It was usually pretty late at night though, definitely considered rather racey in it's day
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    and 'Marblehead Manor', which I can't recall much about, other than it starred Linda Thorson (Tara King in 'The Avengers')...

Yep, utter, utter stinker.

Here's the opening credits:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OskYozat8ls

Featuring Kramer and Jackie Chiles!
  • ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Night Court
    Married With Children
    Happy Days
    M.A.S.H.
    SOAP
    Benson
    The Flintstones
    Family Ties
    Barney Miller
    Coach
    Mork & Mindy
    Major Dad
    Private Benjamin
  • JBOJBO Posts: 6,148
    Forum Member
    I used to love Marblehead Manor:blush:

It used to be on Channel 4 on Tuesdays at 6pm. My dad used to say "Why do you watch this rubbish?":D

I was 14 years old:D
  • RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikebuk wrote: »
    I watched Crazy Like A Fox. If I remember right, an old bloke detective who always dragged his unwilling son along in his cases. He may have been a lawyer.

Used to love this. It wasn't a sitcom, more a light hearted adventure series. I might have the odd word wrong but it always started something like this...

Phone call.
    "Harrison, I need your help"
    "Dad, you keep forgetting. I'm a lawyer, you're the detective"
    "Son, I only want a ride, what could possibly happen?!"

Queue opening titles with them being chased etc. :)
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davads wrote: »
    I think it was '70s.

Yeah, 74 to 78. But it was definitely shown on BBC2 into the 80's. Really liked it as a kid. Seen some episodes recently and it holds up well. Brenda, aka Marge Simpson, was my favourite but the whole cast were good, including Nancy Walker as the mother. And Carlton was a classic 'unseen' character, like the extraordinary Maris in Frasier, Mrs Mainwaring and Vera, Norm's wife in Cheers. Great voice. :D

ETA Thought so. Carlton (Lorenzo Music) was Garfield in the cartoons. Just googled to check!