Trivial things that annoy you about TV

Comments

• davadsdavads Posts: 8,643
    Forum Member
    Surf's Up wrote: »
    This may have been mentioned before, but continuity announcers saying "And next [insert name of programme you plan to watch]..." when actually what's next is yet another "Brought to you by..." ad.

Not quite clear on this one: do you basically mean you don't like sponsorship bumpers?
  • NosediveNosedive Posts: 6,602
    Forum Member
    Actors and actresses who leave one soap opera only to pop up in a different soap a few years later. Gaynor Faye, Michelle Collins, Hayley Tammadon and Claire King to name but four.

A variation of this one is when old/previously well known actors appear in soaps as a regular gig.

Eg Paul Nicholas in Eastenders. Craig Charles, Coronation St,
    Forum Member
    Nosedive wrote: »
    A variation of this one is when old/previously well known actors appear in soaps as a regular gig.

Eg Paul Nicholas in Eastenders. Craig Charles, Coronation St,

I can't say that bothers me particularly. They're actors at the end of the day, they take the work where they can find it. And if they're any good you can see beyond who they are in real life or any previous roles.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mugatu wrote: »
    Gratuitous iPad wielding.

I was just watching a channel 5 football programme and the 3 presenters were all holding iPads, and in the 30 minutes they didn't once look something up, read something, or touch the screens at all. Just held them, and occasionally gestured with them.
    I presume they still have autocue and a production team putting up relevant clips and graphics so other than a desire to look cutting edge and tech savvy, what are they for?

Why don't they just use printer paper like Simon McCoy?;-)
  • EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The way how, in television, anybody hit by a car dies as a result.

I've been hit by a car - and I ended up with a broken leg rather than dead.
  • MaccaMacca Posts: 18,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EStaffs90 wrote: »
    The way how, in television, anybody hit by a car dies as a result.

I've been hit by a car - and I ended up with a broken leg rather than dead.

It all depends on the speed of the car i would have thought.
  • gingerjackgingerjack Posts: 1,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    why is it , that in most of the soaps, the child actors are terrible, it like watching the school Christmas play, wooden children delivering wooden lines.
    Of all the child actors out there why do they pick these, must be some nepotism going on, because most of them cannot act
  • tangsmantangsman Posts: 3,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Autumn TV Schedule.
    SCD
    Doctor Who
    The X Factor
  • bbclassicsbbclassics Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    Dramas were the dialogue is very quiet almost at a whisper and the music is LOUD.
    I'm constantly fiddling with the volume button on my remote control cus of this.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    bbclassics wrote: »
    Dramas were the dialogue is very quiet almost at a whisper and the music is LOUD.
    I'm constantly fiddling with the volume button on my remote control cus of this.

It's OK Points of View is on the case.

They've only had a million complaints over the years, but the Beeb is listening. ;)
  • VanbastVanbast Posts: 88
    Forum Member
    bbclassics wrote: »
    Dramas were the dialogue is very quiet almost at a whisper

... or when the actor (usually a US male) mumbles through his lines very fast with a touch of raspiness in the middle of a fire fight.

A couple of weeks ago I had to rewind a programme a few times as I couldn't decipher some dialogue which was vital to the plot. In the end I gave up and switched the subtitles on.
  • WhoAteMeDinnerWhoAteMeDinner Posts: 4,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everything that Sky has ever made, and the threat that they are going to make 30 new dramas in next two years. That is not trivial maybe, sounds terrifying.
  • AvidianAvidian Posts: 6,049
    Forum Member
    Billie JD Porter is doing a series in China for BBC Three.

Here's a picture of her, the hag:

https://instagram.com/p/7YNHtPLzPj/?taken-by=billiejdporter

Apparently people "in Office" judged you on your looks and marital status so much so that some feel they need to have cosmetic surgery to get on :(

Scenes of plastic surgery from the start, some air-headedness:

https://vid.me/6uYl

Thank goodness here in the UK things are so different :eek:

Actually, I quite liked the series :blush:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b068237s/episodes/player
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Programme titles, generally US shows, that replace "with" with "w" or "w/"
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Condescending narration tone when stating the blindingly obvious
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Programme titles, generally US shows, that replace "with" with "w" or "w/"

What do you mean exactly? You mean abbreviated, on an EPG? :confused:
    Forum Member
    davads wrote: »
    What do you mean exactly? You mean abbreviated, on an EPG? :confused:
    More on advertising hordings and trail screens.
    The whatever show w/ whoever

Examples on Youtube
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6t90yjqAMc
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiQodEtt404
  • MissCharleyPMissCharleyP Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When channels (usually on Sky) just show random episodes of a programme. GOLD is particularly bad for this, the other week they showed 'dinnerladies' but it was an episode from the middle of series 1, then the next time it was on the last 2 episodes. Why not just show either the first or last 3? In fact, why bother at all if its just being used (as it obviously was) as filler? Its not like on that channel you're waiting for new programmes to begin showing! Just start off with what will be in that slot anyway!
    Forum Member
    When channels (usually on Sky) just show random episodes of a programme. GOLD is particularly bad for this, the other week they showed 'dinnerladies' but it was an episode from the middle of series 1, then the next time it was on the last 2 episodes. Why not just show either the first or last 3? In fact, why bother at all if its just being used (as it obviously was) as filler? Its not like on that channel you're waiting for new programmes to begin showing! Just start off with what will be in that slot anyway!
    It can be worse. I've heard of channels showing 2 parters but showing the second part first.
  • silversoxsilversox Posts: 5,204
    Forum Member
    mike65 wrote: »
    Condescending narration tone when stating the blindingly obvious

I just hate patronising narrators on documentaries. One of the worst, but not on a documentary, is Carol Klein on Gardeners' World. :o
  • ellesworthellesworth Posts: 919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes! Was watching NCIS the other week and it ended on a cliffhanger. I think it was the middle of season 5. Then they put on an episode from season 2!
  • MadBettyMadBetty Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ch5 programming a 'midday movie' each day but they are without exception movies that come from the reject bin.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Programme listings where the progammer after the BBC1 10pm news will allegedly start at 10.35 and you know full well it won't start till 10.43.

Like last night, I had to trawl through the end of Reporting Scotland and 3 boring BBC trails before I got to Motorway Cops. 8 effing minutes late.

We can put a man on the moon but............., blergh, blah, blah
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gingerjack wrote: »
    why is it , that in most of the soaps, the child actors are terrible, it like watching the school Christmas play, wooden children delivering wooden lines.
    Of all the child actors out there why do they pick these, must be some nepotism going on, because most of them cannot act

That's a pretty good choice.
    Most child actors seem so very stage school trained and it shows.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's OK Points of View is on the case.

They've only had a million complaints over the years, but the Beeb is listening. ;)

Points of View, that's a bugbear in itself.
    It's like BBC propaganda central where they wheel out a Beeb spokesperson and plonk them on a chair to clear things up which have been criticised by viewers by telling us that the BBC are right and the viewers are wrong.

I'd just love to watch the occasional episode of Points of View where the BBC spokespeson says "Yes, we really made a right royal balls up of that one". Or "Yes, we have to apologise for making such a terrible programme".