Frasier. Best and worst episodes?

Comments

• streetwisestreetwise Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The one where Frasier invited around everyone to see his new painting. The guest of honour...the artist.

The one set at Christmas when he takes over the graveyard shift at the station because his son can't make it. It's the part with the down and outs in the litle cafe that gets me everytime. A great heart warming episode.

When Niles and Daphne got together the show lost its spark for me.
  • MissySmithMissySmith Posts: 492
    Forum Member
    I agree with previous posters in that the only cringeworthy episodes were when Daphne's family appeared. Otherwise,this was comedy perfection.
  • Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the one (can't remember the title) where Daphne discovers the cleaners have ruined her dress, so she tries on one of Roz's short dresses.

ROZ: "We can accessorise".

NILES: "What with? A lamp post and a Public Defender"?
    :D
  • MissySmithMissySmith Posts: 492
    Forum Member
    In fact,I'm going to re-watch it,right now:)
  • pembo2004pembo2004 Posts: 4,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i like matchmaker, mixed doubles, the doctor is out

the worst must be the one all of them go to that cabin in the wood in the last season i think or second to last season
  • Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is that the one where Roz and Niles pretend to be a couple, so they can split up Daphne and Donny?

David Hyde Pierce was a lucky devil, getting to snog Peri Gilpin in that episode.
  • Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MissySmith wrote: »
    I agree with previous posters in that the only cringeworthy episodes were when Daphne's family appeared. Otherwise,this was comedy perfection.

I agree too - Couldn't stand Daphne's family - her mother was beyond irritating and why on earth did they choose an american who couldn't do an English accent to play her brother and why did her mother and brother both have cockney accents while Daphne had broad Manchester?
  • MotherTeresaMotherTeresa Posts: 590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree too - Couldn't stand Daphne's family - her mother was beyond irritating and why on earth did they choose an american who couldn't do an English accent to play her brother and why did her mother and brother both have cockney accents while Daphne had broad Manchester?

They didn't, because Anthony LaPaglia's from Australia, but if anything that should have made him more capable of pulling off an English accent that wasn't one of the most awful performances ever perpetrated in sitcom history.
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Worst episodes are those with Daphne's family and the ones where the actress is pregnant but they pretend the character has put on weight.
    Daphne's Family...:eek:....but I liked it when they mentioned her weight.

One of the best was the Clown phobia patient episode.
  • sergio2006sergio2006 Posts: 3,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of the stuff I was talking about

Frasier's hysterics
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xg2rT5hGXg

'The missing sock'
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISIsij0szN8&feature=related

Kelsey Grammer rules!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bedsit Bob wrote: »
    Is that the one where Roz and Niles pretend to be a couple, so they can split up Daphne and Donny?

David Hyde Pierce was a lucky devil, getting to snog Peri Gilpin in that episode.

David Hyde Pierce is gay.

So is the guy who played Bulldog.
  • FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    streetwise wrote: »
    When Niles and Daphne got together the show lost its spark for me.

Not for me.

Quite honestly they'd taken the "Niles loves Daphne and can't tell her, but she has no idea" line about as far as it could go.

They used Donny (who I thought was excellent) and Mel (the unpleasant) to take it forward and the programme soon regained its' stride.
  • StarryNightStarryNight Posts: 7,289
    Forum Member
    Leanna1989 wrote: »

So is John Mahoney.
  • AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leanna1989 wrote: »

Edward Hibbert, DHP and Dan Butler are all gay....Hibbert being gay is just amusing :D

John Mahoney has never come out but has never denied it either.

Quite a large number of the writers and producting team are gay too
  • Irma BuntIrma Bunt Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frood wrote: »
    Not for me.

Quite honestly they'd taken the "Niles loves Daphne and can't tell her, but she has no idea" line about as far as it could go.

They used Donny (who I thought was excellent) and Mel (the unpleasant) to take it forward and the programme soon regained its' stride.

Fair point. Christopher Lloyd and Joe Keenan - the two leading lights of the Frasier writing team - left at the end of Season 7, so they exited on the reveal to Daphne of Niles' feelings. Without the guiding hand of Lloyd and Keenan, the writing team of Season 8 was always going to face a challenge with the new dynamic. But then they were thrown the curve ball of writing in Jane Leeves' pregnancy. It is inevitable that Season 8 was suffer in comparison, but it does - as you suggest - get some unfair criticism. It's the worst season of Frasier, to be sure, but there are still some gems there. The show gradually recovered its stride, but it took the return of Lloyd and Keenan to the 11th and final season - boy, how they'd been missed! - to restore Frasier back to it's brilliance. Still, it was great that Fraiser went out back on top form (the terrible episode, Freudian Sleep, notwithstanding) , unlike some sitcoms.

Back on topic. I find it impossible to choose one single best ep, because it's an embarrassment of riches. There are the usual suspects like Ham Radio, The Ski Lodge and The Matchmaker, but also others like Out With Dad, The Doctor Is Out and the underrated They're Playing Our Song. The worst, for me, is the aforementioned Freudian Sleep. It can be said that even under par Frasier is better than most other sitcoms. Not of this episode, it can't
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Frood wrote: »
    Not for me.

Fully agree, the sitcom didn't lose any spark for me.
    So is John Mahoney.
    I thought that was just a rumour?
    Forum Member
    myss wrote: »
    Fully agree, the sitcom didn't lose any spark for me.

I thought that was just a rumour?

^ Someone said above he's never denied it but I don't know if its a rumour, a friend just told me like it was fact.
  • desmenelopedesmenelope Posts: 2,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have been giggling like a loon at this thread :D

Another vote for HIgh Holidays.
    Martin stoned without knowing it: "Fridge Pants" and "Dog Army" crack me up!
    Niles thinking he's stoned when he isn't: "I'm particularly looking forward to the "munchies", where one craves bizarre food combinations. I'm thinking of pairing this Chilean sea bass with an aggressive Zinfandel."
    Eddie replacing Frasier in the video. "Sweet mother!"

I'll have to cheat and also mention Look Before You Leap, if only for Frasier's attempt at singing Buttons & Bows.
    sergio2006 wrote: »
    Sorry to go off topic slightly but there are some episodes where Kelsey grammer 'over acts' ridiculously and this is where he delivers his best lines, his voice goes deeper and he delivers his lines in such an overly dramatic way and I find it hilarious.

Some examples off the top of my head.

(Quizzing daphne about a missing sock)
    "There you are.....what is the meaning of THIS?

(At the Seabees)
    Kenny 'this ones got your name on it doc'
    Frasier 'well it better, this whole thing has been a nightmare, only it can't be a nightmare because its MID-MORNING'

(After daphne causes a pile up on the road outside)
    'FINE I guess I'll just have to make my OWN TEA!'

'I am WOUNDED'

(Everyone arguing on Christmas Eve)
    'That is ENOUGH! This is the night we celebrate PEACE and TOGETHERNESS!'

Kelsey Grammer, the best over acter ever!

:D Bravo.

I'll add:
    (when the brothers fall out over sharing an office and Niles calls him crazy)
    "If I were, DOCTOR, YOU'D never know it!!!"

Plus pretty much every time he says the name Cam Winston...
  • FlannerzFlannerz Posts: 207
    Forum Member
    Kelsey Grammer has the best voice in the world
  • Paul WilsonPaul Wilson Posts: 5,108
    Forum Member
    Ooh, very good topic. The best one for me would probably be the persepectives on Christmas episode. Daphne thinking Martin's terminally ill is beyond hilarious; 'I'm terrified about this father. What am I supposed to say when I see Jesus for the first time?'

Worst? Pretty much the whole run from season nine, but anything with Daphne's brother Simon with the astonishingly bad 'Manchester' accent. What made that character worse was the writers seemed to delight in giving him pages of dialouge to murder. Didn't it occur to any of the producers that his accent sounded naff all like Jane Leeves?
  • Paul WilsonPaul Wilson Posts: 5,108
    Forum Member
    So is John Mahoney.

John Mahoney played a gay character in a particularly poignant episode of ER.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't actually think that Daphne's famiy were THAT bad. However I do think it was a mistake when they added her mother as a recurring character.

Season 10 was the worst season for me. It started off well with Niles and Daphne's wedding, but after that the humour became really stupid. They did manage to pull it back and save the last season though.
    Forum Member
    John Mahoney played a gay character in a particularly poignant episode of ER.

I remember that episode, he was excellent in that role.

I wish he would appear in more tv shows.

I wasn't that bothered by the addition of Daphne's mum or the occassional appearance of Simon. It was stupid that he has a cockney accent though but I guess the untrained ear wouldn't exactly notice that.

Just want to mention the episodes IQ, Whine Club, Rivals and the one where Niles and Frasier try to write a book together. Any episodes where the brothers fall out and start a rivalry is always pretty funny.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jane Leeves explaining the accent
    http://youtu.be/2Jo7gAjlWnc

Martin imitating Daphne
    http://youtu.be/MjrLyWlCrP8

John Mahoney is from Manchester originally. He came over here after WWII and lost his accent over the years.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 478
    Forum Member
    Completely unrelated, but does anyone know where I can get a side table like Martin's? I can't find one anywhere!