EE - Is the slow burn effect starting to kill the storytelling?

HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,021
Forum Member
✭✭✭
We've had what seems to be major gaps in storylines/characters being brought to the forefront and then disappears for months on end.

Ronnie has probably had the biggest victim of this, She was barely in it last year and now we nearing the fourth month of 2015 and it's the same thing, I'm aware that the actress had panto and was obligate to film but still why bring her back if we not even gonna benefit from seeing her.

Stacey been a rather supporting character for months now, we had this key business going for a year which was said to be address soon but nothing yet and then Ryan anyone else wondering what the point of his 5 second reappearance was about if that's just it.

The Carters storylines seem to stop and start aswell.

Kathy's return obviously issues with planning but are we really going to be left hanging to September even December for any explanation if reports are true for her return or any development.

Is the slow planning of storylines killing the storytelling of the show.

Thoughts?

Comments

• haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are some very strange things happening in EE at the moment:
    The Kathy reveal has gone nowhere.
    Vincent has disappeared
    Dean has disappeared.
    Ronnie is still in a coma.

To cap it all Phil cooked up a lovely looking meal for everyone and nobody ate it!!!!
    Shocking
  • CherryRoseCherryRose Posts: 13,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Harlowe wrote: »
    We've had what seems to be major gaps in storylines/characters being brought to the forefront and then disappears for months on end.

Ronnie has probably had the biggest victim of this, She was barely in it last year and now we nearing the fourth month of 2015 and it's the same thing, I'm aware that the actress had panto and was obligate to film but still why bring her back if we not even gonna benefit from seeing her.

Stacey been a rather supporting character for months now, we had this key business going for a year which was said to be address soon but nothing yet and then Ryan anyone else wondering what the point of his 5 second reappearance was about if that's just it.

The Carters storylines seem to stop and start aswell.

Kathy's return obviously issues with planning but are we really going to be left hanging to September even December for any explanation if reports are true for her return or any development.

Is the slow planning of storylines killing the storytelling of the show.

Thoughts?

I think you have to have a good balance between the two and currently for my personal taste its ALL to bloody slow all round. I get more frustrated with the EE than enjoyment which is ruining my viewing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has Stacey's key been resolved yet?????
  • lou_123lou_123 Posts: 12,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    YES!!!

Please, make it stop!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eastenders is too slow paced nowadays it annoys me.
  • lou_123lou_123 Posts: 12,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eastenders is too slow paced nowadays it annoys me.

Very true.

DTC needs to listen to the fans and stop playing out storylines slowly!
  • HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    haphash wrote: »
    There are some very strange things happening in EE at the moment:
    The Kathy reveal has gone nowhere.
    Vincent has disappeared
    Dean has disappeared.
    Ronnie is still in a coma.

To cap it all Phil cooked up a lovely looking meal for everyone and nobody ate it!!!!
    Shocking

Exactly, ok understandble this was when the 30th was going on, but the aftermath stinks.

Yes that was shocking and rude leaving a load of plate full of food uneaten, wasteful! :D
    CherryRose wrote: »
    I think you have to have a good balance between the two and currently for my personal taste its ALL to bloody slow all round. I get more frustrated with the EE than enjoyment which is ruining my viewing.

Couldn't agree more, it be fine if they had supporting storylines running along side it but there not been much that is worth mentioning, the pacing is too slow.
    CherryRose wrote: »
    Has Stacey's key been resolved yet?????

No, although DTC said it would be.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lou_123 wrote: »
    Very true.

DTC needs to listen to the fans and stop playing out storylines slowly!
    We another producer who like John Yorke or Diedrick santer to make the storylines more interesting and kill of all the irrelevant characters atm
  • valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    I think it's a problem.

Ryan pops up, Buster pops up, Vincent pops up, Kathy pops up, Claudette pops up. Then there is, as you say, Ronnie, and Dean both MIA.

Add to that stuff that comes out of the blue...Phil chucking around money, Cindy giving up on Beth, Martin going broke and Massood turning back into a hypocritical gambler. Is he still after the Argee Bargee or just having a mid life crisis.

There's a big difference between a bit of suspense and frustrating the life out of the viewers.

No doubt we'll get some answers one day, I just hope I live to see them.:(
  • jamesc_715jamesc_715 Posts: 8,505
    Forum Member
    It's extremely frustrating when characters are always disappearing especially Denise.
  • jcotter779jcotter779 Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ive been left very disappointed and frustrated ever since that awful live reveal,so many questions very little answers,the fact that all the main cast just disappeared as well was shocking. frustrating more than enjoyable atm, whats the point of Ronnie even being in the cast? shes barely been on the show in 18 months or so shes been back.
  • LiammaiLLiammaiL Posts: 55
    Forum Member
    The thing is, if everything was wrapped up too quickly then people would moan that it is unrealistic.

They've just come out of a week of live episodes.

The Kathy reveal doesn't need to go anywhere until later in the year, it was just a nice shock/surprise for the audience in the live.

Just because a character isn't seen for a week or two doesn't mean they're being underused or they've disappeared.
  • valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    jcotter779 wrote: »
    ive been left very disappointed and frustrated ever since that awful live reveal,so many questions very little answers,the fact that all the main cast just disappeared as well was shocking. frustrating more than enjoyable atm, whats the point of Ronnie even being in the cast? shes barely been on the show in 18 months or so shes been back.

I think it goes back even further,

As for Ronnie...who's running her business and why don't we see Charlie working with Max anymore. I thought that was a permanent arrangement.
  • Ell_RenEll_Ren Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    Yes. Definitely. New characters and current characters appearing then disappearing for long periods of time, story blocking and the slow pace of storylines are all unbelievably frustrating.
  • FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
    Forum Member
    I agree.

Wasn't Aleks planning to propose to Roxy? That's been forgotten about.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vald wrote: »
    I think it's a problem.

Ryan pops up, Buster pops up, Vincent pops up, Kathy pops up, Claudette pops up. Then there is, as you say, Ronnie, and Dean both MIA.

Add to that stuff that comes out of the blue...Phil chucking around money, Cindy giving up on Beth, Martin going broke and Massood turning back into a hypocritical gambler. Is he still after the Argee Bargee or just having a mid life crisis.

There's a big difference between a bit of suspense and frustrating the life out of the viewers.

No doubt we'll get some answers one day, I just hope I live to see them.:(

Exactly!!!

Ryan - Will he ever do more than that peep from behind the bushes? Was there even any further details provided about Ryan?

I honestly don't GET any of the stories that have provided Martin, Cindy and Masood with personality transplants!!! Cindy was made out to be maternal in the Who killed Lucy reveal but now she has had a change of heart WTF?

If DTC does the cliché thing and have Alfie or Billy win the scratch card money I will give up on EE for life!!!
  • secretagentsecretagent Posts: 1,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It has become irritating, stories going nowhere, characters going missing whilst they seem to be in the middle of a storyline. I've stopped watching again. I don't like the direction EE is going in at the moment at all. As for the comment saying that if storylines are wrapped up too quickly, people complain. I don't agree with that, some stories need a quickish resolve or else they just become boring.
  • Ell_RenEll_Ren Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    jamesc_715 wrote: »
    It's extremely frustrating when characters are always disappearing especially Denise.

Agreed. I love Denise. I was hoping we were going to explore her alcohol dependency more but it seems to have stopped before it properly started.
  • MrJamesMrJames Posts: 8,127
    Forum Member
    Make it too fast and it becomes too cheap.
  • Joey15811Joey15811 Posts: 15,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sick of this now. Fist enough 1 every year but most storylines are having one now. The block storytelling doesn't help either.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's far too slow paced at the moment. It's making me bored of EastEnders.
    I've even turned back to Hollyoaks, because despite some of the shocking writing and characterisation, at least things happen quickly. :O

It's frustrating me. Ronnie should have been back ages ago and there's so many other characters that just go missing for weeks on end.
    I'm sick of characters returning or new characters being introduced and then not being seen for ages, such as nuMartin, Vincent, Kathy, Ryan (what on earth was the point of his 5 second return?!), and that's only naming a few.
    There's also so many storylines that haven't been explained or have just stopped.

EE really need to sort it out. Everyone seems to love DTC on here, but I'm not really feeling it at the moment.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's far too slow paced at the moment. It's making me bored of EastEnders.
    I've even turned back to Hollyoaks, because despite some of the shocking writing and characterisation, at least things happen quickly. :O

It's frustrating me. Ronnie should have been back ages ago and there's so many other characters that just go missing for weeks on end.
    I'm sick of characters returning or new characters being introduced and then not being seen for ages, such as nuMartin, Vincent, Kathy, Ryan (what on earth was the point of his 5 second return?!), and that's only naming a few.
    There's also so many storylines that haven't been explained or have just stopped.

EE really need to sort it out. Everyone seems to love DTC on here, but I'm not really feeling it at the moment.
    This. I think dtc is too overrated tbh.
  • GeekInfectedGeekInfected Posts: 6,372
    Forum Member
    I don't think slow burn would be the right terminology. A story will appear and then disappear for months on end with nothing "burning" in the mean time
  • Joey15811Joey15811 Posts: 15,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This. I think dtc is too overrated tbh.

Agreed. He's going downhill fast.
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    MrJames wrote: »
    Make it too fast and it becomes too cheap.

I agree.