Options

TV memories of the over 40s adding (but no ageism here

Claires_dadClaires_dad Posts: 5,100
Forum Member
This is a continuation of the thread "Are there any DS forum members who are over 40?"

This is part two so that us oldies don't have to read through 18 pages, it confuses us!

Comments

• Options
    mrbernaymrbernay Posts: 146,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    well said Mr C
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Anyone else think it's about time The Man From UNCLE was repeated?

(notices didn't removing "adding" from title thread oops!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    What about asking everyone which ITV region they were in as kids because THEN, ITV was so regional and so different... and I'll check out the progs in my TV mag collection.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mrbernay wrote:
    What about asking everyone which ITV region they were in as kids because THEN, ITV was so regional and so different... and I'll check out the progs in my TV mag collection.

I like that idea.

I lived in Rochester when I was a kid, but we got our pictures from Crystal Palace so our ITV was ATV London, then Thames & London Weekend Television.

I now receive ITV Meridian from Bluebell Hill (of course that transmitter didn't exist in the 60's!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Anyone else remember " Car 54 Where are you?"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Many people seem to be confusing announcers and newsreaders.
    From ATV, I remember especially Mike Prince and (Uncle) Pat Astley who was also with (Auntie) Jean Morton on Tingha and Tucker.
    On Harlech, I remember Liz Carse and Arfon Haynes-Davies. Liz married ITN reporter (later newsreader Martyn Lewis) and when Martin became ITN's northern reporter, they lived in my home town and were customers in my parents' shop (very nice, ordinary people). Liz has a debilitating disease now, which is very sad.
    Granada never had announcers when I was young, so when other regions started using them off-screen, Granada started putting them on-screen (from time to time during the day, but especially late at night). That was typical of Granada - they alway liked to do the opposite of what the others were doing.
    On ABC Manchester, there was the uber-celeb "Diddy" David Hamilton (from when he appeared with Ken Dodd and became an honorary member of the Diddymen....); plus John Benson and occasionally Philip Elsmore who came up from ABC Birmingham.
    Yes, I was fortunate to pick up these three ITV regions from where I lived and this led to my interest in TV because at that time, as I said before, ITV was regional and, apart from a few prime time programmes, the other programmes were shuffled around the schedule usually depending on the audience profile. Enough ranting, over to you....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,193
    Forum Member
    What I want to know is why does the internet think "Paulus the woodgnome" was a 1970's show - I used to watch it when very small in the mid 1960's on Channel 8 - sorry TTTV. It used to be shown with Torchy the Battery Boy.

What's really worrying is I remember most of the words & the tune to both
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    What I want to know is why does the internet think "Paulus the woodgnome" was a 1970's show - I used to watch it when very small in the mid 1960's on Channel 8 - sorry TTTV. It used to be shown with Torchy the Battery Boy.

What's really worrying is I remember most of the words & the tune to both

Paulus, had forgotten that completely. Definitely 1960s. Tyne Tees Television on Channel 8 "The Viewer" (local TV mag).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mrbernay wrote:
    Paulus, had forgotten that completely. Definitely 1960s. Tyne Tees Television on Channel 8 "The Viewer" (local TV mag).

Was it only on Tyne Tees, doesn't ring a bell at all with me, down here in the South East!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    These were generally time fillers. Ethel_Wombat, I confirm:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0295806/ (1960s TV prog).
    Not the kind of programme shown on Rediffusion/Thames or Southern ITV - they did their own programmes. The regions that took Tingha and Tucker had to find fill-ins when the "Club" disappeared at the end of the 60s.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone remember Sarah and Hoppity and Twizzle?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ethel_Wombat, I can confirm from the Tyne Tees edition of the TV Times for Aug 30 - Sep 5, 1969: Tuesday September 2: 4.40, Paulus: A Fur Coat for Eucalypta. The other children's progs shown in the similar time slot were: Wednesday Sep 3: 4.13, Torchy , the Battery Boy: Pongo the Pirate; Thu Sep 4: 4.17, Sara and Hoppity: Mummy's New Hat; Fri Sep 5: 4.17, Pinky and Perky; Mon Sep 8: 4.40, The Pingwings (Mon Sep 1 was Bank Holiday so Bank Holiday Sport was on)
    Please note the VERY precise times!! and how about this for a write-up of Pinky and Perky for that week!!!PINKY AND PERKY 4.17
    Another episode from the lovable squeaking twosome, Pinky and Perky. Always in and out of scrapes, this time one of their greatest friends, toothy Horace Hare, takes the spotlight. But as always, Crazybird is there to tease and unsettle him. .This week, Horace attempts to read the weather forecast, despite interruptions from Grazybird, who really throws the anti-cyclones among the isobars. One prediction which will be correct, however, is that the barometer of humour and fun will definitely rise during the next 15 minutes.
    PRESENTERS JAN AND VLASTA DALIBOR : SCRIPT DON NICHOUL: DESIGNER BILL PALMER : DIRECTOR DIANA POTTER
    Thames Television Production
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jalabert wrote:
    Half of your answer above! I had completely forgotten this programme!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Plot Outline: A series of puppet stories highly popular with children about a girl, Sara, and her doll. The doll has one leg shorter than the other - hence the name Hoppity.
    from IMDB TV
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is a continuation of the thread "Are there any DS forum members who are over 40?"

This is part two so that us oldies don't have to read through 18 pages, it confuses us!

I take a while to catch on (just posted a message to Pia about Sylvia Peters on the old thread), but when I get going I'm OK.

Very nice in here Claires_dad.
    :)
  • Options
    wombatofludhamwombatofludham Posts: 3,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrbernay wrote:
    Many people seem to be confusing announcers and newsreaders.

That's actually understandable. Early BBC newsreaders were specifically NOT reporters but actors and presenters who could deliver the news clearly without any reporter bias. Richard Baker and Michael Aspel, who were both newsreaders of fond memory, were both radio announcers and trained actors. Also, some ITV regions would get their continuity announcers to give a summary of the regional headlines on closedown, so I suppose it's forgiveable if people are confusing newsreaders and announcers.
    mrbernay wrote:
    From ATV, I remember especially Mike Prince and (Uncle) Pat Astley who was also with (Auntie) Jean Morton on Tingha and Tucker.
    Mike Prince, he was a legend who kept going almost as long as Midland regional continuity announcing it seems!

Whilst talking multi-tasking newsreader announcers, who remembers BBC Midlands' David Stevens, the short bloke in thick glasses who used to read the news headlines on Midlands Today, any opt out announcements, and probably popped down to the canteen to keep Uncle Tom Coyne in ciggies? I wonder where he is now? Or for that matter Tom Coyne?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh yes!
    It was when the penny dropped that we had American programmes.

Also liked '77 Sunset Strip'
    Can remember the theme music and Cookie (?) combing his hair but little else.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Remember the telephone on the Newsreader's table?

The first time it rang we sat there with bated breath!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Uncle Tom Coyne [in ciggies?] I wonder where he is now? Or for that matter Tom Coyne?[/QUOTE]
    or more precisely cncerning the Midlands:http://www.bbc.co.uk/england/midlandstoday/features/pre_2004/history_theearlydays.shtml
    Do you remember ATV Today with the "Zorba the Greek" style intro music, or Midlands Parade, the "shopping slides"?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    aliasjones wrote:
    Oh yes!
    It was when the penny dropped that we had American programmes.

Also liked '77 Sunset Strip'
    Can remember the theme music and Cookie (?) combing his hair but little else.
    Sing along together: seveny seven sunset strip, click click (repeat)...
    Ed Byrnes (Cookie) - sundays 7.25pm ITV
  • Options
    TabbythecatTabbythecat Posts: 33,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrbernay wrote:
    Sing along together: seveny seven sunset strip, click click (repeat)...
    Ed Byrnes (Cookie) - sundays 7.25pm ITV
    they also released a single called "cookie cookie lend me your comb"
  • Options
    TabbythecatTabbythecat Posts: 33,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I do with Fred "Herman Munster" Gwynne & Joe E Ross (later became the voice of Botch in Help Its The Hair Bear Bunch)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes I do with Fred "Herman Munster" Gwynne & Joe E Ross (later became the voice of Botch in Help Its The Hair Bear Bunch)

Sadly, Yvonne de Carlo passed away today aged 84.

Who remembers Hawaiian Eye? - it alternated with Sunset Strip in the early 60s
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    ...and I was only watching an episode of The Munsters last week on BBC2
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jalabert wrote:

I loved Twizzle. Also Torchy the battery boy.