Culture Secretary - Hillsborough Gaffe

tiger2000tiger2000 Posts: 8,541
Forum Member
Another gaffe from a government minister today reports on BBC News.
Culture Secretary Jeremy Hunt apologises after suggesting hooliganism played part in Hillsborough.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,149
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And he'd be right of course, but it's liverpool we can't say anything
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    onenation wrote: »
    And he'd be right of course, but it's liverpool we can't say anything

I have reported this post to the DS moderators.
  • DarthGoreDarthGore Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    not long now before the "Justice for the 96" crew turn up to spew forth their rants at the police and the state....

I find it funny (knowing a lot of Scousers) that they're happy to laugh at almost ANY disaster joke, and even come out with some full-on touchy subject jokes like Baby P/Madeline McCann ones, but can't hear anything to do with Hillsborough, as though that's seen as too far
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peter9999 wrote: »

why?. ...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rosselle wrote: »
    why?. ...

How old are you?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How old are you?

30 ish
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks.

Dear Lord above, do you not like free speech?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Justice for Heysel! Where is that?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    30 ish

So you were 10ish when the disaster occurred. Hooliganism was not a factor and to suggest otherwise is a slur on Liverpool fans as a whole and the families of the 96 in particular.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    onenation wrote: »
    Justice for Heysel! Where is that?

Good diversion but totally irrelevant.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So the fans without tickets are blameless? No wonder we'll never get to the truth, because people don't want to face some hard truths
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you were 10ish when the disaster occurred. Hooliganism was not a factor and to suggest otherwise is a slur on Liverpool fans as a whole and the families of the 96 in particular.

but i do not disagree with you, and i am not suggesting anything or trying to slur anyone, i just wanna know why you felt the need to report that post?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    but i do not disagree with you, and i am not suggesting anything or trying to slur anyone, i just wanna know why you felt the need to report that post?

Because onenation is perpetuating a lie that is manifestly untrue and deeply offensive to many people, not just Liverpudlians.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, tell me where I've lied
  • StaunchyStaunchy Posts: 10,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This seems to be what he said:
    "I mean, not a single arrest for a football-related offense, and the terrible problems that we had in Heysel and Hillsborough in the 1980s seem now to be behind us,"

If that's all he said then some people are being over sensitive.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because onenation is perpetuating a lie that is manifestly untrue and deeply offensive to many people, not just Liverpudlians.

fair enough.
  • Turnbull2000Turnbull2000 Posts: 7,588
    Forum Member

What utter b*llocks. If that's the case, we may as well close DS politics.
  • technoguytechnoguy Posts: 2,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is a bad few days for the Tories, this sick gaffe and Dumb and Dumber being put on the health select committee the other day...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2010/jun/26/conservatives-health-select-committee

What a shambles this new Government is turning out to be. :cry:
  • Flyboy152Flyboy152 Posts: 14,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Because the purpose of his post was to cause an inflammatory response, it is known as trolling.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 69
    Forum Member
    I've always thought some of the blame needs to be put on the fans as well, according to some every single fan was an absolute darling that day.
  • SkyknightSkyknight Posts: 1,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The police got all the blame for letting fans in to a crowded stand at Hillsborough

But could the fans not see for themselves that it was too crowded and they ought to think about turning back?

Were they all blind?:rolleyes:

No, they were selfish and impatient

As for this so called gaffe, what a fuss over nothing. The MP said there were "terrible problems" at Hillsborough and he's right, there was.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    technoguy wrote: »
    This is a bad few days for the Tories, this sick gaffe and Dumb and Dumber being put on the health select committee the other day...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2010/jun/26/conservatives-health-select-committee

What a shambles this new Government is turning out to be. :cry:

Oh my giddy aunt. :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Skyknight wrote: »
    The police got all the blame for letting fans in to a crowded stand at Hillsborough

But could the fans not see for themselves that it was too crowded and they ought to think about turning back?

Were they all blind?:rolleyes:

No, they were selfish and impatient

As for this so called gaffe, what a fuss over nothing. The MP said there were "terrible problems" at Hillsborough and he's right, there was.

This is the same level of ignorance expressed on threads such as the one about Bloody Sunday.

No, the fans could not see what was happening inside the stadium.

No, they were not selfish and impatient, they were herded, by the police, into the stadium; they had no choice.

I find your baseless and uninformed assumptions to be highly offensive and not worthy of the power it takes to light my monitor's screen.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 69
    Forum Member
    What about the fans who entered the ground without tickets?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chaddy wrote: »
    What about the fans who entered the ground without tickets?

They didn't "enter" the stadium of their free will. They herded by the police.