Submarine (2011), any good?

Octopus_PrimeOctopus_Prime Posts: 851
Forum Member
✭✭
Has anyone seen the film Submarine, it's getting great reviews, It's directed by Richard Ayoade and starring Craig Roberts (he was Adam the vampire in Being/Becoming Human) looks funny and with what I've read has a good storyline. Just wondering if it's worth going to the flicks?

Comments

• Octopus_PrimeOctopus_Prime Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cheers! I think I'll go and see it tomorrow night after work.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just seen it .

it's pretty good . Aoyade is obviously a fan of Harold and Maude , he even steals a few shots from it .
    the actors are great in it , especially the kids .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mum's boyfriend thinks it looks good. He's also an annoying, racist chain-smoker who laughs at everything (on average four times per minute), left his wife for her best friend (my mum), thinks all black actors are Denzel Washington and that England is the best country in the world.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mum's boyfriend thinks it looks good. He's also an annoying, racist chain-smoker who laughs at everything (on average four times per minute), left his wife for her best friend (my mum), thinks all black actors are Denzel Washington and that England is the best country in the world.

well it's set in Wales , how does he feel about the Welsh ?
  • OneTreeHillFanOneTreeHillFan Posts: 7,725
    Forum Member
    This is meant to be fantastic.
    I would like to see it - love Richard Ayoade in the IT Crowd (I know he's the director here!)
    I also like the boy in this - Used to watch him in Tracy Beaker and Young Dracula:o he was in Being Human not long ago too, I'm glad he's finding some success I think he's a good actor. :)
  • LenitiveLenitive Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's all right. I read one review where it was called "too cool for school", which is fairly accurate. It wasn't easy to warm to any of the characters, and it was more gently amusing than laugh-out-loud funny. But it hit the nail on the head in terms of first love.
  • rybevrybev Posts: 1,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finally managed to watch this today.

Sweetly amusing and charming. Lots of quirky quotable lines.
    Richard Ayoade is obviously very talented and has learned a lot from being a film fan.

Not too everyone's taste but worth a look if you don't mind an alternative point of view on the world to mainstream stuff.
  • embyemby Posts: 7,837
    Forum Member
    I thought it was dire.
  • NickClapperNickClapper Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    It's a tricky one. I originally reviewed it pretty positively and I'd stick by the notion that it's a good film.

But I rewatched it the other day and found it tedious and contrived. I didn't hate it because it's got a sweet heart but I wouldn't have called it a particularly good film after that.

So the moral of the story is to see it once.
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    It's ok, but it's not as funny or inventive as it thinks it is.
  • rybevrybev Posts: 1,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ænima wrote: »
    It's ok, but it's not as funny or inventive as it thinks it is.

I never quite understand that phrase - "Not as clever/funny/original as it thinks it is".
    Your post isn't as clear as it thinks it is ;)
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    rybev wrote: »
    I never quite understand that phrase - "Not as clever/funny/original as it thinks it is".
    Your post isn't as clear as it thinks it is ;)

It's normally used when a films writers feel the need to constantly repeat the films message as if it is the most poignant message ever, like the writers are saying; 'listen to this bit agian, it'll inspire you'..

Or if you get a sense with the dialogue and acting that they think what they are saying is incredibly witty or important.

It's ok when it IS witty or poignant but when it isn't, it just seems a bit smug and patronising.

That's the best way I can describe it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 203
    Forum Member
    I really enjoyed it,especially for a directoral debut
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 237
    Forum Member
    I thought Submarine was fantastic!
    I feel Oliver's character is so odd that it would have been easy to hate him or write him off as too quirky if the actor wasn't so good playing him, ditto his parents - and Paddy Considine's cameo was incredible! :D:D
    Granted, the direction is a little bit art-house film-school at times, but while I don't think it adds much, I also don't think it detracts from the enjoyment of the film. It's Ayoade's first film after all, and it's about teenagers - a bit of experimentation should be expected!