The Village (John Simm, Maxine Peake) - coming soon

1505152535456»

Comments

• seejay63seejay63 Posts: 8,800
    Forum Member
    Supratad wrote: »
    I'd really like to visit the new memorial to those fallen, or taken, sometime soon. I think its in Nottinghamshire somewhere.

Is it this one? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shot_at_Dawn_Memorial
    Supratad wrote: »
    Even in WW2, for example, Spike Milligan's senior officer was convinced he was a coward, or lacking moral fibre, and drummed him out.

At least he was drummed out and not shot, which shows how far opinions had come in such a short time.
    A fabulous film worth looking up is 'King & Country' (1964) with Dirk Bogarde & Tom Courtenay. It is out there in the usual place. It really is a fantastic old B/W film.

I'll have to see if I can get hold of that film. I love black and white films, and anything with Dirk Bogarde in is definitely on my list :D
  • Lindy_LoueLindy_Loue Posts: 9,874
    Forum Member
    seejay63 wrote: »

I didn't know that was there. It's a fitting tribute, I like the ambiguity of the limbs and the blindfold. Interesting that John Major, as recently as the 1990's, felt that such a memorial would dishonour the brave :eek: Good that it's there now, though :)
    Forum Member
    Lindy_Loue wrote: »
    I didn't know that was there. It's a fitting tribute, I like the ambiguity of the limbs and the blindfold. Interesting that John Major, as recently as the 1990's, felt that such a memorial would dishonour the brave :eek: Good that it's there now, though :)

Yesterday a memorial to the Bevin Boys was opened there too. I wonder if there's one for the Land Army Girls too?
  • RoxysirenRoxysiren Posts: 443
    Forum Member
    Yesterday a memorial to the Bevin Boys was opened there too. I wonder if there's one for the Land Army Girls too?

There is one in Scotland.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-19882990

:)
  • lotty27lotty27 Posts: 17,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    owllover wrote: »
    Splashy tears here. :cry:

So much to think about.

Me too. Just watched the last episode and was crying like a baby at the end. I can often tear up at programmes (discreetly) but I was practically sobbing with this :o Glad I was by myself!

Excellent series. Very hard going at times, a lot of times, but well worth sticking with. Looking forward to the next series now.
    Why was it confusing? He'd come back on leave after the Battle of the Somme, which started in July 1916, so the date is quite feasible.

Perhaps SULLA meant that dawn at 4am? In November? I know that went through my head when he said it!
  • Lindy_LoueLindy_Loue Posts: 9,874
    Forum Member
    South of the border, the Staffordshire branch of the Women's Food and Farming Union is still raising money for a memorial to the Women's Land Army:

http://www.womenslandarmytribute.co.uk/

I think this is up to date.....interesting that it's taken so long for this to happen.....
  • PigsMightFlyPigsMightFly Posts: 15,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the teacher was a conscientious objector, joe deserted, so youve kind answered your own question :)

Thanks for confirming this. The reason I was slightly confused was that they forced him into a uniform making me think that he might have gone to war but he obviously refused to fight.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bit disapointed the original Bert wasent in then realised this was supposed to be 1920. Isnt that what the next series is supposed to be set in?

I thought this was supposed to be on BBC IPlayer but its not there not even the latest part.

Does that mean a DVD is due out soon?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    Such a powerful series. Looking forward to the next series.

Apparently, Peter Moffat who wrote it was inspired by his dying father's stories and other family members and he wants the series to be centred around the happenings of the village from the start of the First World War to present day. So hopefully there will be many series to come (42 episodes in total is the ambition, if I remember correctly).

If any of you haven't seen this already then I recommend reading this media pack. It gives great insight into the series and the idea with interviews, historical context, episode synopses etc.
  • catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I keep meaning to ask this and forgetting - is the MP the eldest son of Lord Allingham, and if so, has he inherited the title and had to resign from the House of Commons? Did I miss when they mentioned this, or didn't it happen?
    Forum Member
    catsitter wrote: »
    I keep meaning to ask this and forgetting - is the MP the eldest son of Lord Allingham, and if so, has he inherited the title and had to resign from the House of Commons? Did I miss when they mentioned this, or didn't it happen?

That's actually a very good point. He talks as if he is still an MP but he won't be able to be now he's a lord. It's possible that the writers have overlooked that.
  • Haggis&ChipsHaggis&Chips Posts: 643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't risk reading the rest of this thread as I want to avoid spoilers, so it's possible my query will already have been answered.

I've just discovered that the last ep of The Village has been removed from the iPlayer already, so after 5 weeks commitment to a drama, there seems to be no prospect of seeing the final part!

Is there anywhere else I can view it? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When is the DVD coming out?
  • catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When is the DVD coming out?

Amazon says

Available for pre-order. This item will be released on 8 July 2013.
    Forum Member
    I've just discovered that the last ep of The Village has been removed from the iPlayer already, so after 5 weeks commitment to a drama, there seems to be no prospect of seeing the final part!

It would only be available for a week after the last episode went out. Iplayer is a pain in the neck for that. I've looked on youtube but it doesn't seem to be there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would only be available for a week after the last episode went out. Iplayer is a pain in the neck for that. I've looked on youtube but it doesn't seem to be there.

you should try a google search.

its on TheBox.bz
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    catsitter wrote: »
    Amazon says

Available for pre-order. This item will be released on 8 July 2013.

I've just ordered mine. The first box set I've ever ordered, such was the impact of this series on me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gonna get this one too.