Windows updates

Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
Forum Member
✭✭
Windows has been doing updates on my laptop tonght since i shut it down at 12.30 and its still hovering on update 7 of 10. Can anyone provide me with a list of the recent windows 7 updates so I can see what 'number 7' is?

Comments

• Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's been stuck on update 7 for an hour now and I want to sleep. What will happen if I power off during the update?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone???
  • evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    Start Task Manager by pressing CTRL-ALT-DEL, then click the Application or Process tab and cancel the update. Then visit the MS web site for this problem at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/818018/en-us. This will let you run Fixit and give you information about other things to check.
  • DaedrothDaedroth Posts: 3,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like the OP is having Windows Updates issues while Windows is trying to shut down. That means they can't use Task Manager.

Unfortunately you can't see what Update 7 is at this point. You just have to wait for it to shut down. It is not recommended to pull out the power while Windows is updating, because you don't know what it is doing and don't know what it is currently in the middle of.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Daedroth wrote: »
    Sounds like the OP is having Windows Updates issues while Windows is trying to shut down. That means they can't use Task Manager.

Unfortunately you can't see what Update 7 is at this point. You just have to wait for it to shut down. It is not recommended to pull out the power while Windows is updating, because you don't know what it is doing and don't know what it is currently in the middle of.

It was still on update 7 of 10 by 2am and i powered off as i was tired and wanted to go to sleep. Luckily this morning my laptop seems to be in working order. It successfully installed and configured the six before it got stuck. I reckon windows have stuffed up at their end and sent out a faulty update.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I updated my Win 7 32bit last night and every thing went OK.

I had 14 updates.
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I updated my Win 7 32bit last night and every thing went OK.

I had 14 updates.

11 updates here (Win 7 64 bit), but I was expecting to see 14 as well, since at the Configuring stage it was going up in 7% steps (100/7 = 14.3). Odd.
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 33,944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also had 11 updates here on patch Tuesday, Windows 7 64bit, all went fine.
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had 11 updates arrive yesterday for my Window 7 64bit version, now I see 3 more "important" updates are available and ready, giving me the a total of 14
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have only one unimportant update available which turns out to Bing Desktop which it keeps trying to push and which I don't use, I have Google, thanks.
  • DaedrothDaedroth Posts: 3,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    I have only one unimportant update available which turns out to Bing Desktop which it keeps trying to push and which I don't use, I have Google, thanks.
    You can tell Windows Update to 'hide' that update so it doesn't appear again.
  • PuckyPucky Posts: 4,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daedroth wrote: »
    You can tell Windows Update to 'hide' that update so it doesn't appear again.

I hide it every month but it still comes back!

I had 16 updates on Win 7 32 bit yesterday.
  • SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got 8 on xp
  • NewWorldManNewWorldMan Posts: 4,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JeffG1 wrote: »

I have it too but it never gets auto-selected.
  • jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My Vista system updated itself last night and now I keep getting an error message:

"Windows could not connect to the System Event Notification Service service". Please consult your system administrator. Limited Users won't be able to log on.

But there is only one account on the machine - mine which isn't a limited user.

I cannot find any problems online about so even I do a system restore I don't know which one caused the problems.

Has anyone else had a problem?
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jason100 wrote: »
    It was still on update 7 of 10 by 2am and i powered off as i was tired and wanted to go to sleep. Luckily this morning my laptop seems to be in working order. It successfully installed and configured the six before it got stuck. I reckon windows have stuffed up at their end and sent out a faulty update.

That what normally happens, it will just start again from where it left off. i have done that a few times when MS updates have got stuck.
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 33,944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    afcbfan wrote: »

Only one ive got out of those is KB2859537, no problems at all with it, even tried the Personalize, ie, etc... which someone reported not being able to run due to it, but alls fine here.
  • AliU2maniacAliU2maniac Posts: 1,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had 11 updates on Tuesday and another 10 yesterday.After Restart my PC screen appeared all white with none of the usual Windows colours.Last night I had Windows Security Centre warning me that my security was at risk.I restarted the PC but the same white screen appeared and I couldn't connect to the internet at all.I couldn't sleep thinking that my PC had crashed completely but this morning it was fine.Has anyone else had the white screen & security alerts after Updates?
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had 11 updates on Tuesday and another 10 yesterday.After Restart my PC screen appeared all white with none of the usual Windows colours.Last night I had Windows Security Centre warning me that my security was at risk.I restarted the PC but the same white screen appeared and I couldn't connect to the internet at all.I couldn't sleep thinking that my PC had crashed completely but this morning it was fine.Has anyone else had the white screen & security alerts after Updates?

Are you running Vista? If not, what is claiming to be the Windows Security Centre could be malware.
  • PuckyPucky Posts: 4,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My OH has been having problems with his Vista laptop being really slow to boot to his desktop. It loads OK until selecting usernames and then just gets a black screen. We've done a malware scan and it seems he got caught by a dodgy link to update Firefox (he's usually pretty careful about what he installs).
  • AliU2maniacAliU2maniac Posts: 1,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you running Vista? If not, what is claiming to be the Windows Security Centre could be malware

I'm on Vista and it's still running okay after all the drama last night.I'm currently installing eight important updates so I'll see what happens afterwards.I don't usually have any problems with Windows Updates so the white screen & the security alert was very strange.
  • DRAGON LANCEDRAGON LANCE Posts: 1,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My advice to anyone is turn off automatic updates and do it manually. Windows, especially Windows 7 is notorious for this crap. Its an amazing coincidence that since Windows 8 came out 7's been especially prone to crashes from updates that "accidentally" nuke your system and require a system restore or in worst cases you have to rebuild from a recovery disk. I'm sure Micro$oft are not trying to give anyone an incentive to downgrade to Windows 8 at all...

If people think I am talking bull here, Google Windows update problems. There are loads of tech blogs reporting problems. Like this:

http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-pulls-more-patch-tuesday-updates-7000019450/

Or this:
    http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/warning-latest-windows-update-may-cause.html

Or this:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Microsoft-KB2859537-Update-Causes-BSOD-on-Windows-7-375659.shtml

Who needs a Virus when Micro$oft can wreck your system for you.
  • BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm on WIndows 7 32 bit and its updating OK.

The Mrs 64 bit machine got killed by the updates, I managed to power it down and run in safe mode. Rolled it back a few days, powered up and turned all updates off permanently.
  • afcbfanafcbfan Posts: 7,153
    Forum Member
    Turning off all updates permanently isn't wise, but automatic updates should certainly be changed to Notify But Don't Download. That gives you the chance to see if any are causing problems before you decide to patch. These sort of stinkers, for example: http://www.infoworld.com/slideshow/115307/17-epic-windows-auto-update-meltdowns-225085#slide1