How to make a thick sauce in slow cook pot?

KunashKunash Posts: 1,144
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I like my slow cooked food. chicken or pork.

I make a stock with chicken oxo cube. add a bit of wine, and plain flour and in a frying pan. then keep adding more flour and stock, until the pan is full, then transfer to the slow cook pot.

but when the pot is ready the juice always seems to be runny and not thick - which is how I would like it

any tips please

Comments

• c00kiemonster72c00kiemonster72 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kunash wrote: »
    I like my slow cooked food. chicken or pork.

I make a stock with chicken oxo cube. add a bit of wine, and plain flour and in a frying pan. then keep adding more flour and stock, until the pan is full, then transfer to the slow cook pot.

but when the pot is ready the juice always seems to be runny and not thick - which is how I would like it

any tips please

Thicken with cornflour if the end resulting sauce is too thin, take all the meat out and set aside while you do it. With the sauce at the right consistency add the meat back in.
    Don't forget you will need to cook the cornflour out or else the sauce could have a flourey taste.

Or start off with a thicker sauce, so that as it cooks out the extra moisture created in the slow cooker will thin it down so hopefully ending up with the right consistency sauce.
  • Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or take the meat out, transfer the sauce to a saucepan and boil it until it has reduced to the consistency you want.
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd agree with c00kiemonster72. I generally coat the meat with cornflour first then brown it before starting adding the liquid.

If the is still not thick enough after cooking for a bit then I'd dip out a cup - whisk in one or two tablespoons of cornflour - then pour back in and cook to completion
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Another vote for cornflour slurry

or if your sauce needs a boost of flavour then gravy granuels.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fry onions and puree them? That's what I do as I'm coeliac. YOu can mix your relevant herbs/stock/flavouring in too for an added touch.
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can thicken it with more plain flour! It always works for me and I make slow cooked stews all the time!
  • RoxysirenRoxysiren Posts: 443
    Forum Member
    Add Mcdougalls Instant Thickening Granules a few minutes before the end of cooking, great stuff!

:)