Options

Three 4G Rollout | Free 4G for ALL!

Comments

• Options
    natbikenatbike Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    qasdfdsaq - In other threads you have shown yourself to be knowledgeable and reasonable, I'm a little surprised to see a lack of judgement here.

If you don't wish to be disappointed by tech rumours, just disregard them. Is only fair to hold a company accountable for what it communicates through official channels.

The only disappointment here is because rumours have been flying and people have got their hopes up.

In a couple months everyone will have it and forget about the fuss. It sounds like a playground when everyone starts saying I told you so.

If I'm being a little intolerant it's because I spent an hour last night taking turns to hold a guys head still till the ambulance arrived (motorcycle accident). It makes some things seem quite trivial and churlish.
  • Options
    bikerladbikerlad Posts: 1,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    natbike wrote: »
    The only disappointment here is because rumours have been flying and people have got their hopes up.

I'm not sure how the Three website saying 2013 for London is a rumour. We got our hopes up because that's what Three said. Now Three are saying it's 2014.
  • Options
    qasdfdsaqqasdfdsaq Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    natbike wrote: »
    If you don't wish to be disappointed by tech rumours, just disregard them. Is only fair to hold a company accountable for what it communicates through official channels.The only disappointment here is because rumours have been flying and people have got their hopes up.
    Even you seem to have missed the point entirely! Where did I say I'm disappointed? Where did I say I'm holding the company accountable?! Where did I say my hopes were up?!

Why do people keep on making up rubbish and acting like I said it?!

It was a joke guys. Get over it!
    If I'm being a little intolerant it's because I spent an hour last night taking turns to hold a guys head still till the ambulance arrived (motorcycle accident). It makes some things seem quite trivial and churlish.
    Wow, an hour? I guess it must have been out of town somewhere? Longest I've had to wait for an ambulance was 17 minutes, and I thought that was long :-/
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All this moaning you're doing over a free upgrade, meanwhile, in Africa some places haven't even got water.

Grow up guys.
  • Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All this moaning you're doing over a free upgrade, meanwhile, in Africa some places haven't even got water.

Grow up guys.

You could say that to almost anything, but we don't live in Africa.

I agree with you from a point of view that people only have to wait an extra month, but the Africa comment is just silly.
  • Options
    The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    bikerlad wrote: »
    Which bit?

Getting in trouble from the ASA.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Grow up guys.

With the money you could save by ditching your 3 contract, you could sponsor clean water for a hundred African kids!
  • Options
    Zee_BukhariZee_Bukhari Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just got a SIM update a few minutes ago at 12.01am and my signal has changed from H to 4G. :D:p;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just got a SIM update a few minutes ago at 12.01am and my signal has changed from H to 4G. :D:p;)

Where are you located? Are you on the trial?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    Where are you located? Are you on the trial?

ha am just joking, sorry :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Troll'd

Wrong day anyway. The trial starts in 22 hours, 58 minutes, 45 seconds. [Edited at 01:01:15]
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ha am just joking, sorry :p

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    I wonder if we'll hear anything about Three's 4G plans tomorrow....

Here is Three's original press release from August 29th 2013.
    Three to offer 4G at no extra cost from December 2013.

· Every Three customer with a 4G ready device will be able to benefit from an upgrade to 4G at no extra cost

· Rollout will kick start in three major UK cities, London, Birmingham and Manchester

· Three's 4G population coverage will grow to 98% by the end of 2015

· No hassle, no new contract, no extra charges and All You Can Eat data

From December this year, Three will start to switch on its 4G service for all customers, who have a 4G ready device. The switch on will accelerate in January, which means that over 1.5 million Three customers will benefit from 4G services.

All Three customers with a 4G ready device will be able to benefit from 4G at no extra cost with a simple software upgrade, so no need to go into a store. Three is making the transition to 4G easy, there are no new contracts to sign, no need to change tariffs or swap SIMs. Three will also continue to offer All You Can Eat data, as part of its voice plans.

Three's 4G population coverage will reach 98% by the end of 2015 and be available in 50 cities in the UK by the end of 2014. Three already has the fastest 3G network in the UK and 4G will simply make it an even better network experience for customers, at no extra cost.

In other news, China Mobile will be launching their 4G services on December 18th 2013.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well its very wrong how they have mislead their customers into believing it would launch in December 2013 in 3 cities.

How is a trial of 2800 customers a launch for all their customers in those cities.
  • Options
    culabulaculabula Posts: 865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    well its very wrong how they have mislead their customers into believing it would launch in December 2013 in 3 cities.

How is a trial of 2800 customers a launch for all their customers in those cities.

The wording "will start to" explains it all perfectly to me.
  • Options
    toyotacitytoyotacity Posts: 762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm on 3, live about 10 min walk from Manchester city centre, I did a speed test a couple of days ago and got 18mb download speeds, I thought I was on 4g for a sec, but it was 3g, i'm happy enough with 3g, it does what I need, but free 4g will be very welcome, especially when others are charging for it
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    Lets hope Monday we get some positive news.:confused:
  • Options
    The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    It was always going to be a gradual roll out.. But a roll out is a roll out and a launch is still a launch.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    It was always going to be a gradual roll out.. But a roll out is a roll out and a launch is still a launch.

I would argue that in fact Three are not rolling out at all in December and therefore have deceived their customers both current and potential. The fact that those on the trial are using separate special sim cards that have been specially designed for testing purposes only means this is very much at the testing stage and is not ready to be rolled out yet until the testing is complete. If actual customers with existing sim cards were able to access a live 4g network somewhere in London then yes i would agree with them.

If they go live in some parts of London right at the end of Dec which i feel they might then this might save their bacon and they can rightfully claim that they were sticking to the plan.

Its like Apple giving a launch date (or month) for a new Iphone and then only providing pre production test models to a few selected members of the public during that month only to release a full production model a month later. Can you imagine the outcry from that? Apple and companies do this before any major release but they certainly wouldn't advertise it for that reason as the product will not be ready and changes may be necessary from the 'test'.
  • Options
    steven_good2steven_good2 Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    I have just been on the Three website to check the coverage in my area and it now has a 4G checker, I didn't see this a month ago also with this statement at the bottom...

"4G is coming

Three is proud that it will be offering 4G at no extra cost to its customers who are “4G Ready” and we’ll kick start our 4G roll out in London, Birmingham and Manchester, reaching 50 cities by the end of 2014. We’ll initially be launching 4G to a select group of customers in December 2013 (you’ll know already if you are one of these!), with our 4G network opening up to other 4G Ready customers in the above cities, from mid-January 2014. To be 4G Ready, you’ll need to be in a 4G coverage area with a 4G Ready device and have downloaded the free software update that we’ll send you when 4G launches in your area. Once you’re 4G Ready, you’ll get 4G at no extra cost. Up until then, all of our customers can continue to enjoy our Advanced 3G network – the fastest in the UK."

http://www.three.co.uk/Support/Coverage
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    I have just been on the Three website to check the coverage in my area and it now has a 4G checker, I didn't see this a month ago also with this statement at the bottom...

"4G is coming

Three is proud that it will be offering 4G at no extra cost to its customers who are “4G Ready” and we’ll kick start our 4G roll out in London, Birmingham and Manchester, reaching 50 cities by the end of 2014. We’ll initially be launching 4G to a select group of customers in December 2013 (you’ll know already if you are one of these!), with our 4G network opening up to other 4G Ready customers in the above cities, from mid-January 2014. To be 4G Ready, you’ll need to be in a 4G coverage area with a 4G Ready device and have downloaded the free software update that we’ll send you when 4G launches in your area. Once you’re 4G Ready, you’ll get 4G at no extra cost. Up until then, all of our customers can continue to enjoy our Advanced 3G network – the fastest in the UK."

ok so that pretty much confirms it then. so they won't be launching any 4g services to the general public in any of those 3 cities until mid Jan. i guess we all fell for the December marketing trick.
  • Options
    jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    We’ll initially be launching 4G to a select group of customers in December 2013 (you’ll know already if you are one of these!), with our 4G network opening up to other 4G Ready customers in the above cities, from mid-January 2014.

Checker went live today. The actual customer trial starts today and ends January 16th. Thats mid January....

People selected for the trial will get software updates today, so Three's 4G network is now live and ready. Apple customers on the trial will have to wait till December 16th when Apple authorise the carrier update / 4G update for Three's network.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So it looks like the official line has become mid-January for ordinary customers then.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    I'm smack in the middle of a 4G zone in West London. Hopefully this will improve my indoor coverage where I struggle to get more than 2 mb/s despite the coverage being described as "Excellent".

Annoyingly, if I walk 100 yards up the road, I'm pulling down at least 11 mb/s. Got over 20 mb/s yesterday in Chiswick. Stupid walls and buildings.

Rather cheesed off I have to wait until January, but it's always the way. Maybe the 4.3 update for the S4 will be dished out then as well. Still, mustn't be greedy!

Jabba - I appreciate all the updates, by the way. Even if the info is subject to change, it's probably a lot better than your average punter can find out, so I'm very grateful for that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Problem is it's a coverage checker, not a speed checker. Speed is affected by many things, coverage itself (and walls) being the least of them.
This discussion has been closed.