Options

The Walking Dead has lost its way totally time to axe it?

Comments

• Options
    yakutzyakutz Posts: 10,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The current half-season is by far the best thing they've done since the first season (really, since the pilot.) Giving actual depth to the characters and telling relatively self-contained, unsettling stories each episode is exactly what this show needs to be doing. A vast improvement on any of the Governor/farm arcs that it had going, which really did drag on forever with barely any redeeming features.

Hell, this is the first time I can remember not actively rooting for any of the cast to die. And certainly the first time I've given a damn about anyone other than Carol or Daryl.
  • Options
    sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    Whilst I disagree that the show should be axed (quite a ridiculous thought actually as the viewing figures are as strong as ever) I do think that with the exception of last week's episode 'The Grove' the show has gone downhill.

No-one will convince me that anything has been better than series 1 though. A strong ensemble cast and a look to it that was almost filmic (probably down to Frank Darabont).

I still watch it - but if I did miss an episode (which I haven't) I probably wouldn't go out of my way to try and find it on catch-up anywhere.

Melissa McBride is my main reason for watching now (along with Chandler Riggs).
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not lost its way at all, just changed pace slightly with more story telling and a bit less action. That's fine by me as I'm able to follow plot lines and back stories. It's also been nice to be able to fill in some gaps with some of the flashbacks.

As for food being out of date, tinned food lasts years and the story has only been 18 months tops since the start.
  • Options
    Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't mourn its passing. It is an obligatory weekly watch for me because I'm tied to it til the end now, but it really is rare for me to feel like it was a truly worthwhile use of my 45 minutes.

Overall the problem is it feels aimless, with pretty much no character being particularly endearing or compelling to watch. A cast of idiots doing little of interest, it baffles me how people could view it as the best thing on TV with so much robust competition out there.
  • Options
    TH14TH14 Posts: 11,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still love it. The first two seasons were my favourite but that's not to say it's lost its spark. For me, it's still the best show on TV and it's clever how they've split them up this season so we can see what the characters are really made of:) I loved the original cast but surely the suspense over who is going to be killed off next keeps the excitement up rather than anything. Some episodes have been slower than others buts thats always been the case on this show as they build up to a major storyline
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Better? All the lead cast have gone, it's slow, it's a soap opera.

What are you on?
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    It is better than ever, it has taken a different turn for the last half of the series, but it has allowed character development and given us time to gather our thoughts after the battle of the first half.

This weeks episode was brilliant, shocking to the extreme, as that is the way of their world.

May it stay as strong as this for many series to come.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It gets better every series. I would say it has another 2 seasons left in it at most
    I just love the writing and the time they spend on character development. It's not all style over substance. If you don't like it, stop watching. Simple. The likes of myself will continue watching.

There are tons of shows on the air way past their sell by date, but i don't need to make a thread bitching about it, do i?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tony Tiger wrote: »
    I wouldn't mourn its passing. It is an obligatory weekly watch for me because I'm tied to it til the end now, but it really is rare for me to feel like it was a truly worthwhile use of my 45 minutes.

This is pretty much how I feel about it. I feel I have to stick with it to the end (probably because I had so much high hopes after series 1 - which was without doubt quite brilliant).

If anyone is saying it is the best thing on TV at the moment though - then they haven't watched much television.

I'm going to start watching Breaking Bad this weekend (every episode from every series probably back-to-back) thanks to my son raving on and on about it. I hope it lives up to his recommendation. BTW - my son was a huge Walking Dead fan but gave up after series 2 (although he did tune in whenever David Morrison was on screen).
  • Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another sensationalist thread from linkinpark875, well I never!
  • Options
    Mr Master XMr Master X Posts: 746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LOL This second half of season 4 has been excellent. I get it; you want thrills, spills and massive plot twists with big set pieces. Well get this; you can have these, you can have them one after the other...and they just stop meaning anything. Like a shoddily put together movie that is just one set piece linking to the next set piece with no investment in the characters. There has to be build or those multi-arc episodes where TSHTF are just drivel, good looking action-packed drivel, but ultimately mean nothing.

Do I think there's some shoddy writing? Yes, I still scream WTF?! whenever someone leans on on someone clearly dead and tries giving mouth to mouth, or kisses on the cheek, or when Herschel left all the doors open with the illness and everyone was dying. I mean, just what on Earth were the writers thinking? Or all these tracks everyone suddenly just notices despite the main guys having explored this area for months and NEVER noticed it. Or the fact that no one's gone "bloody hell, swords are sure useful, maybe I'll go get one",or "maybe we'd be safer on a rooftop growing foodstuff, each floor cordoned off and guarded?" Or the very dodgy zombie heads in season 3 that splattered and crushed like paper bags and looked fake beyond all belief, or just turned walkers head being shattered easy while years old zombies heads that should be like eggshells being tougher to get through than a tank...all seemingly randomly. Or the bodies we saw plenty of times in cars and in random places that were "just dead", no zombie, no kill just "dead" that were never explained from the first 2 seasons. Of course, these have been problems since about season 3 onwards.

I do think though that if Sanctuary is just a repeat of the prison arc people may start switching off.

One thing they need to realise is; they're NOT getting cancelled anytime soon. They need to plan this show out. They're reaching the point now, were you should be seeing way more of certain character types because it takes a certain type of person to have survived this long in this hellhole. When you still encounter people who can barely take care of themselves that have supposedly been wandering around in an apocalypse for 2 years, you have to wonder. I think this may be its downfall. A lot of drama comes from the characters getting to grips with living in this type of world, but it's two years later and they've adapted. And because of that the characters aren't scared of walkers, why should the viewer be?
  • Options
    droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP needs to "just look at the flowers". :)

That was one of the most moving pieces of television I've seen. ^_^
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP needs to "just look at the flowers". :)

Here here
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was one of the most moving pieces of television I've seen. ^_^

Yep. As was the previous episode's pre-credits sequence of Bob wandering alone before Daryl and Glen found him. Superbly acted and soundtracked, it showed hopelessness and loneliness to be just as terrifying as Walkers. Yet these two episodes are what prompted the OP to start this thread!?!?!

Perhaps the OP might want to go back to his XBox shoot-em- ups...
  • Options
    MysteriousOzMysteriousOz Posts: 6,230
    Forum Member
    I think this thread is just attention seeking, you cannot say its lost its way after last weeks amazing episode. Yes it has its ups and downs but I would definitely say its one of the best shows out there currently
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 242
    Forum Member

,or "maybe we'd be safer on a rooftop growing foodstuff, each floor cordoned off and guarded?"

Yes, create a safe area and expand. With each expansion create another layer of security.

I hope there isn't a real Zombie apocalypse. I think going up into the trees and building a tree house would be fairly safe. But I can't climb trees. :(
  • Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Near enough every cult series has had at least one bad season, but true fans of a show will stick by it until the end. It's like your favourite sports team, they have highs & lows, but you stick by them no matter what or your favourite band, they could release a number of great albums & then you get to one that questions you if they should still be together or not. Yes some shows are doomed to fail from the start regardless of the support they get from fans, I thought that Firefly was superb and was gutted when it finished, but thanks to the support from fans, it got a feature movie. I honestly think that Walking Dead will find it's way again, if the writers can come up with the genius of a story from the last episode, then there is hope for the show yet. Yes one day it will all come to an end, but until that happens, I will continue to watch every episode. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Near enough every cult series has had at least one bad season, but true fans of a show will stick by it until the end. It's like your favourite sports team, they have highs & lows, but you stick by them no matter what or your favourite band, they could release a number of great albums & then you get to one that questions you if they should still be together or not. Yes some shows are doomed to fail from the start regardless of the support they get from fans, I thought that Firefly was superb and was gutted when it finished, but thanks to the support from fans, it got a feature movie. I honestly think that Walking Dead will find it's way again, if the writers can come up with the genius of a story from the last episode, then there is hope for the show yet. Yes one day it will all come to an end, but until that happens, I will continue to watch every episode. :)

I haven't seen Firefly. I know it was praised and then axed. Is it worth watching the one season? If so, should I watch that first and then the film.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    This is pretty much how I feel about it. I feel I have to stick with it to the end (probably because I had so much high hopes after series 1 - which was without doubt quite brilliant).

If anyone is saying it is the best thing on TV at the moment though - then they haven't watched much television.

I'm going to start watching Breaking Bad this weekend (every episode from every series probably back-to-back) thanks to my son raving on and on about it. I hope it lives up to his recommendation. BTW - my son was a huge Walking Dead fan but gave up after series 2 (although he did tune in whenever David Morrison was on screen).

What else are you watching?

I'm enjoying TWD, so open to suggestions of other programmes that people think are better.

I've seen Breaking Bad and thoroughly enjoyed it. I hope you enjoy it too.
  • Options
    AngiBearAngiBear Posts: 2,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kine wrote: »
    Yes, create a safe area and expand. With each expansion create another layer of security.

I hope there isn't a real Zombie apocalypse. I think going up into the trees and building a tree house would be fairly safe. But I can't climb trees. :(

I think the problem is that there is never going to be a safe place during a ZA. When you are not fighting the zombies wanting to enter there will always be the human threat by people who see your surroundings and facilities as being better than theirs. I could never understand why The Governor saw the prison as a better set-up to what he had already at Woodbury, there were shops and houses with running water, proper beds and a town where people could at least try to live a bit of a normal life, well as normal as it gets during a ZA.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Kine wrote: »
    What else are you watching?

I'm enjoying TWD, so open to suggestions of other programmes that people think are better.

I've seen Breaking Bad and thoroughly enjoyed it. I hope you enjoy it too.

As TWD is the only show of its ilk (I can't stand vampire and werewolf stuff - so I won't even start watching anything along those lines) I've got nothing of its kind to compare it with to be honest.

I try and watch Suits whenever I can and I've just started watching the new series with Greg Kinnear - Rake (last night's episode was very funny). I also watch the repeat episodes of Law & Order (well some of them anyway). To be honest - the only show I watch regularly is TWD so I suppose it must be doing something right. I stand by my conviction though that nothing has been as good as series 1.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    AngiBear wrote: »
    I could never understand why The Governor saw the prison as a better set-up to what he had already at Woodbury, there were shops and houses with running water, proper beds and a town where people could at least try to live a bit of a normal life, well as normal as it gets during a ZA.

He didn't initially see the prison as a better set-up than Woodbury though. The prison was another community with another king - and I think the Governor believed there was only room for one king within a 500 mile radius! Of course when Woodbury fell - the prison was a better option than nothing at all.
  • Options
    linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this thread is just attention seeking, you cannot say its lost its way after last weeks amazing episode. Yes it has its ups and downs but I would definitely say its one of the best shows out there currently

We are talking about so called 'great' acting instead of action. It's low budget and drawn out and fails to involve all the main characters.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    AngiBear wrote: »
    I think the problem is that there is never going to be a safe place during a ZA. When you are not fighting the zombies wanting to enter there will always be the human threat by people who see your surroundings and facilities as being better than theirs. I could never understand why The Governor saw the prison as a better set-up to what he had already at Woodbury, there were shops and houses with running water, proper beds and a town where people could at least try to live a bit of a normal life, well as normal as it gets during a ZA.

I didn't understand the Governor's point of view either.

I also don't really get the humans fighting humans. They should be working together to fight the common threat and build up resources rather than just protect the few resources that already exist.

I'd be dead by now, wouldn't I? I'd be too trusting and expecting everyone else to follow a sensible, long term, plan.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    As TWD is the only show of its ilk (I can't stand vampire and werewolf stuff - so I won't even start watching anything along those lines) I've got nothing of its kind to compare it with to be honest.

I try and watch Suits whenever I can and I've just started watching the new series with Greg Kinnear - Rake (last night's episode was very funny). I also watch the repeat episodes of Law & Order (well some of them anyway). To be honest - the only show I watch regularly is TWD so I suppose it must be doing something right. I stand by my conviction though that nothing has been as good as series 1.

Suits looks good. thanks.

TWD has kept me interested because the focus changes each season.

I've found Teen Wolf entertaining. I thought it would be a bit naff, but there's a fair amount of humour mixed with the action and drama. It has long plot arcs, so enough to keep me watching.