Options

Malware on Digital Spy Forum?

Don't know if I'm right about this but I think there might be malware or some kind of virus on the Digital Spy Forum because when I clicked on some threads or click 'next' I get redirected to some sort of website and then my anti-virus immediately pops up saying that it has blocked me from entering a malicious website. It's definitely this website causing it because I was not accessing any other website at the time. What could this be? Is it really malware? Have anyone else encountered this?

Comments

• Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It could be some malware that you already have, redirecting a link... Have you blocked the adverts on DS? Ran a malware check on your own PC?
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    sounds familiar.
  • Options
    Fried KickinFried Kickin Posts: 60,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It wouldn't be the first time DS has served up malware.
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DS has a history in this, IIRC. As a precaution I have my popup blocker always on maximum and nothing gets through, which is a first step in protecting yourself. I have to right-click any link that would open in a different tab/window and open it explicitly. A small price to pay for an increased safety.
  • Options
    phasesphases Posts: 255
    Forum Member
    IvanIV wrote: »
    DS has a history in this, IIRC. As a precaution I have my popup blocker always on maximum and nothing gets through, which is a first step in protecting yourself. I have to right-click any link that would open in a different tab/window and open it explicitly. A small price to pay for an increased safety.

I have my popup blocker on as well on my web browser settings but it seems I still get directed to the website but my anti-virus blocks it, so am I safe? What else can I do to protect my computer?
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    phases wrote: »
    I have my popup blocker on as well on my web browser settings but it seems I still get directed to the website but my anti-virus blocks it, so am I safe? What else can I do to protect my computer?

I think antivirus and a firewall is about the only way you can protect your computer. An adblocker if your graphics are very weak compared to a £100+ graphics card. Flash adverts that aren't videos can be very intensive with weak graphics.
  • Options
    emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    I think antivirus and a firewall is about the only way you can protect your computer. An adblocker if your graphics are very weak compared to a £100+ graphics card. Flash adverts that aren't videos can be very intensive with weak graphics.

What's a graphics card go to do with computer security? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    emptybox wrote: »
    What's a graphics card go to do with computer security? :confused:

Sigh... I was just saying that using an ad blocker was okay if you had a weak graphics processor. Ad blockers have been mentioned in this thread and that's why I said it. Okay?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Does it open in another window/tab? If yes, your popup blocker isn't blocking everything. Popup is one of ways how malware can get on a computer. It's not the only way, of course.
  • Options
    emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sigh... I was just saying that using an ad blocker was okay if you had a weak graphics processor. Ad blockers have been mentioned in this thread and that's why I said it. Okay?

I don't think people use ad blockers because they have weak graphics? It's more to do with the annoyance of the incessant video ads that auto start and interrupt your browsing .

I will agree that these modern media rich web pages, with loads of videos or video ads, do test older machines with slower processors, less RAM, "weaker graphics" if you like.
    But any modern computer, with only inbuilt graphics, can cope just fine. :)
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It sounds like you have malware/browser hijack.

Have you done a scan with Malwarebytes?
  • Options
    DANCE OF DEATHDANCE OF DEATH Posts: 4,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After the last few times that DS has served up malware ads I have taken to using an AD Blocker as I don't see why I have to put up with having my computer infected everytime I visit this site. I just don't want to take the risk. A good anti-virus, firewall, malwarebytes and a decent ad blocker will be enough to keep your computer safe.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Digital spy need to start doing something about this or they'll end up losing more forum members. I say more because I think they've lost some over the not so good design of the layout of the site.
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Digital spy need to start doing something about this or they'll end up losing more forum members. I say more because I think they've lost some over the not so good design of the layout of the site.

Aren't most people using Stylish or similar to alter the look of the "new" site? I am and I just turned it off to see if the standard is still horrible, it is - I wouldn't be here now if I had to stick with that.
  • Options
    JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bobcar wrote: »
    Aren't most people using Stylish or similar to alter the look of the "new" site?
    I doubt that "most people" are. I for one have never heard of Stylish. It would only be people who use this particular forum anyway who would know anything about these things.

I have got used to the new style now and have no problem with it.
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    I doubt that "most people" are. I for one have never heard of Stylish. It would only be people who use this particular forum anyway who would know anything about these things.

I have got used to the new style now and have no problem with it.

I'd end up suffering from snow blindness if I tried to use the default settings without altering them.
  • Options
    phasesphases Posts: 255
    Forum Member
    Stig wrote: »
    It sounds like you have malware/browser hijack.

Have you done a scan with Malwarebytes?

I did a scan and no malware has shown up. If my anti-virus managed to block it, that means it's fine right?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aren't most people using Stylish or similar to alter the look of the "new" site? I am and I just turned it off to see if the standard is still horrible, it is - I wouldn't be here now if I had to stick with that.

I think the people with enough basic knowledge of computers will be able to do it. Others won't have a clue how to change the forum layout to its previous look.
  • Options
    finluxfinlux Posts: 3,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I still hate the new look.

I don't spend anywhere near as long on here as I used to. The "colours" strain my eyes after a short time.

AND WHERE IS THE ROLLEYES SMILLEY GONE :confused::D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't mind the new look, but then I do not mind Windows 8 either. With a good LCD monitors it should not matter if the background is white, black on white makes a pretty good contrast. If you still have the old 50Hz CRT one, it's time to throw it out anyway :p
  • Options
    mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Without Stylish http://postimg.org/image/k11jp7fmb/

and with http://postimg.org/image/8u2e3hqpv/

Which do you think is easier to read?
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member

'Most people' - you serious. I would be shocked if it was more than 1 in 1000
  • Options
    call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    mac2708 wrote: »

They both read exactly the same...........:D
  • Options
    EarakeEarake Posts: 1,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks about the same amount of white space too :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mac2708 wrote: »

That hardly looks any different. There's only the colours above and below the posts that have a different colour.