The Ratings Thread (Part 59)

Comments

• garyessexgaryessex Posts: 9,083
    Forum Member
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    He has said something stupid hasnt he - what a suprise.

Funny, he made several valid and importnat points, yet all anyone will remember is the 4 ugly girls.
  • yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    garyessex wrote: »
    Funny, he made several valid and importnat points, yet all anyone will remember is the 4 ugly girls.

I did not see it but it was all that is being reported. I have probably let my prejudice slip through there.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But they have put it on ITV1 for the whole day, this is the first year they haven't. Last year it was on ITV from 9.30 to 5.30 on Bank Holiday Monday and it didn't rate very well at all, and the year before, albeit it was opposite some of the Jubilee coverage, it took ITV down to I think almost a record low.

It would probably rate as well as the other Wimbledon warm-ups like Queens do on the Beeb. I know the French Open is a major but it's not of exceptional interest to the British audience, not least because it's overshadowed by Wimbledon (and I always recall a David Mitchell column a few years ago where he said he couldn't watch it because it looks horrible, the court is a funny colour, the stands are ugly and it has "BNP" all over the place).

No Andy Murray last year unlike this and if he continues through the draw ITV would be mad not to trail his upcoming matches and move them to the main channel wherever possible.

Mitchell shows he`s not really a tennis fan with that comment. Grass is the most ludicrous surface to play tennis on and by the end of the first week it doesn`t even look pretty anymore so having a go at clay-courts (which most of the world prefer along with with hardcourts) means he comes out of that looking stupid, not the French Open. Now, if he`d had a pop at the piss-poor attendance by the French, who seem to merge breakfast, lunch and dinner in preference to watching even their own top players, he would`ve been on more solid ground!
  • kwynne42kwynne42 Posts: 75,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy23 wrote: »
    Question Time has dumbed down a bit lately hasn't it, it's like that debate show they do on BBC3.

Major talking point on the news this morning so they got what they wanted. Well if what they wanted was being bashed yet again by the Daily Mail.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ambassador wrote: »
    I'm probably contradicting myself here but I always thought Barrymore was terrible at auto cue and 'general presenting' BUT he absolutely shone when it came to ad libs, interaction and just generally being himself. I always preferred the format over the staged lines

I had to leave the room whenever he was on TV (which was often because my dad loved him), gave me the creeps long before he had problems with swimming pools.
  • BushmillsBushmills Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kwynne42 wrote: »
    Major talking point on the news this morning so they got what they wanted. Well if what they wanted was being bashed yet again by the Daily Mail.

The BBC could cure world poverty - and the Mail would bash them for being "do-gooders".
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pointless: 3.49m (27.8%)
    The One Show: 3.24m (17.9%)
    EastEnders: 5.28m (24.8%)
    Food Inspectors: 2.29m (10.3%)
    From There To Here: 2.42m (10.7%)
    Question Time: 2.67m (23.0%)
  • FuddFudd Posts: 166,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bushmills wrote: »
    The BBC could cure world poverty - and the Mail would bash them for being "do-gooders".

'BBC causes food crisis as more people start to pay for goods'.
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EastEnders was great this week. Shame it clashed with BGT.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »

Nothing held up well outside EastEnders opposite Britain's Got Talent and Coronation Street. Question Time did very well for them as always and The One Show put in a reasonable performance.
  • JayLee1JayLee1 Posts: 596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was expecting From There to Here to drop but that is a massive nosedive from the opening week - having said that, 4.18m for a first episode wasn't particularly promising.

A shame EastEnders has remained low this week - it's actually put up a fight this year storyline-wise, unlike last year's equivalent BGT clash episodes (which saw such enthralling content as Kim breaking up with Ray over a onesie; Lauren getting drunk and smashing the cafe window and a very dull, episode long Branning family argument).
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Would rather watch paint dry or the wall :D
  • Ice dragon1Ice dragon1 Posts: 19,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Shame Frome There To Here was hurt so badly by the BGT clash I've been enjoying that.
  • SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    Shame Frome There To Here was hurt so badly by the BGT clash I've been enjoying that.
    It was a rather niche drama, more suited to BBC2.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JayLee1 wrote: »
    I was expecting From There to Here to drop but that is a massive nosedive from the opening week - having said that, 4.18m for a first episode wasn't particularly promising.

A shame EastEnders has remained low this week - it's actually put up a fight this year storyline-wise, unlike last year's equivalent BGT clash episodes (which saw such enthralling content as Kim breaking up with Ray over a onesie; Lauren getting drunk and smashing the cafe window and a very dull, episode long Branning family argument).

One positive for EE is it's remind stady this week plus the BBC three repeats have been higher as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    It was a rather niche drama, more suited to BBC2.

Really. I don't see anything niche about it.
  • H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really. I don't see anything niche about it.

Its just an easy way out of having to explain the low rating. But tbh is it less mainstream than Happy Valley.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing I'm glad is holding up well in Springwatch. This has been the best programme on TV this week. Its BBC2 at its best.
  • Philip WilsonPhilip Wilson Posts: 1,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another great Corrie rating, 8.5m and 681k on +1.

Nothing on BGT yet?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing I'm glad is holding up well in Springwatch. This has been the best programme on TV this week. Its BBC2 at its best.

Well if you like baby rabbits being eaten definitely.
  • xeoxeo Posts: 6,429
    Forum Member

Nothing on BGT yet?

Including +1 that's its highest figure of the week.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Nothing on BGT yet?

I'm actually quite surprised how well its doing tbh. 9.18m last night. Personally I don't think this week has been as gripping as it could have been. They had a massive opportunity to make it darker with it being at 9pm. They've got too many uninteresting characters, such as Rob, Fiz, Kal etc.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    .... Re: Alex Jones: I wish she would remain impartial. Instead she says stupid things like "Tonight the One Show is from Wales: the best home nation!" If an English presenter said similar things about England, there'd be outrage. The BBC really do pander to nonsense PC. Even on Escape to the Country they don't say "If you are looking for somewhere to move to in the UK and beyond....". They say "If you are looking for somewhere to move to in Northern Ireland, Wales, Scotland or England......" I know, silly things annoy me, I can't help it! But Alex Jones is a bit annoying sometimes but not as bad as others.
    People take things much too seriously, it sounds just a bit of fun.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kwynne42 wrote: »
    Well if you like baby rabbits being eaten definitely.

That's not why I watch it, but personally that is nature - its horrible to watch, I don't like seeing that side of it but its nature in its true form. I love wildlife programmes, despite the nasty bits.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing on BGT yet?

Maybe Simon Cowell's trying to suppress it out of embarrassment? :D
This discussion has been closed.