Jimmy Saville to be revealed as a paedophile? (Part 7)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark Williams-Thomas Mark Williams-Thomas ‏@mwilliamsthomas 4h
    I am very supportive of our hardworking police forces but never have I read such a poor report #savile #WYP

Dan Davies Dan Davies ‏@MrDanDavies 1h
    @mwilliamsthomas ...on Savile's behalf is glossed over in a single paragraph. Too much 'can't remember', 'vague memories' & 'found nothing'

Mark Williams-Thomas Mark Williams-Thomas ‏@mwilliamsthomas 1h
    @MrDanDavies totally agree - have you seen and heard my comments today.

Dan Davies Dan Davies ‏@MrDanDavies 8m
    @mwilliamsthomas Yes I have. Very, very poor. I feared that this was going to be the case, and those fears have been realised #WYP #Savile
    In reply to Mark Williams-Thomas
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,804
    Forum Member
    soundcheck wrote: »
    ....Is there a middle way? Restricting the reporting of names unless the CPS receive judicial permission to publish? This would protect the victims of malicious accusations, without hindering the investigation of those offences where publishing the accused's name may lead to the discovery of further offences.

As the CPS and Police are state funded the media should also be allowed to apply to the courts for permission to print a name.
  • SpasmodicSpasmodic Posts: 189
    Forum Member
    AOTB wrote: »
    I've been following the Savile stuff and indeed this thread from the off.

I still don't understand the posters/ people who say-

1) They don't know why people who were abused years ago didn't speak up at the time and imply that as they didn't, it's a bit late to come forward now.

2) People who have reported so called 'minor offences' shouldn't really bother as the police investigation should only be focused on major incidents such as rape.

My personal views on the above-

1) It's outrageous to suggest that there should be some kind of time limit on this kind of thing. As many posters have pointed out, victims may have a myriad of reasons for why they perhaps haven't come forward until now- fear, shame being just a couple of possibles.

2) If we truly want a warts and all, transparent enquiry into this, I would think that ALL instances should be reported, regardless of whether they are perceived by some as being 'less important'. If we are to have a fully open and honest investigation, ALL instances, minor and major should surely be taken into account, to give a fully represenatative picture of what went on. Let the police and legal system decided what is 'worthy of prosecution' and what isn't.

Just my tuppence worth.

Good post, AOTB.

1) I'm glad for those who don't understand why, I hope they and their loved-ones never end up in a situation where they do get to understand it. It would be nice though if they could just accept that years of nightmares, fear, shame and messed-up relationships as a result of such abuse were at least a possibility and that most abuse survivors are not interested in receiving any kind of financial recompense. Firstly because there is no money in the world that can give you back what was taken and secondly because it would truly be filthy lucre.

2) Abuse is subjective and what may just be something to shrug off for one person could be really frightening for another. I agree with AOTB that all instances should be investigated to get a complete picture and that these things should be left to the police and legal system. It's time to have an honest debate about attitudes towards sex and the abuse of power, because that, ultimately is what this kind of abuse is about.

I have to stop now before I go into a right angry rant.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also some abusers who start with "minor" groping might move on to serious assaults as they realise than can get away with it, so a culture where groping is seen as unacceptable is important.
    Forum Member
    Is Mark William Thomas throwing his toys out of the frame because of the WYP report?

Would this have been included among the 600 allegations about Savile to Yewtree?
    7.40 A member of the public informed Operation Yewtree that two of their estranged partners had been aware of Savile’s sexual abuse activities. One was alleged to have heard accounts of his sexual abuse activities in the course of their role as a probation officer. The other was alleged to have visited Savile’s flat in their role as a teacher to collect a female truant.

Both former partners were visited and independently both denied either having any knowledge of the incidents or of having any contact with Savile. One of them described the reporting person as having a “vivid imagination”.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wanted to be balanced, but I can't find a single positive comment on the interweb about today's WYP report.

How do you make Jimmy Savile look honest? Ask the police to investigate themselves

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/jimmy-savile-police-who-say-1880020#ixzz2StlAucPw
    Forum Member
    Also some abusers who start with "minor" groping might move on to serious assaults as they realise than can get away with it, so a culture where groping is seen as unacceptable is important.

Absolutely. I think that needs to be a consideration when looking at these things.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NSPCC response to the WYP report

http://www.nspcc.org.uk/news-and-views/media-centre/press-releases/2013/peter-watt-comment-on-savile-police-report/Peter-Watt-comments-on-West-Yorks-Police-report-about-Savile_wdn96071.html

"This report reveals yet more potential missed opportunities by the Police to catch Savile whilst he was still alive and there are clearly some questions to answer. We therefore welcome the referral of some of the new findings to the IPCC."
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WYP say there's no evidence that the ornate lighter gift was from their Force

http://www.westyorkshire.police.uk/jimmysavile#lighter
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This morning's R5 Victoria Derbyshire
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01s9lt8/Victoria_Derbyshire_10_05_2013/
    Savile report item starts at 33m30s.
    Includes survivors' lawyer Liz Dux.
  • AOTBAOTB Posts: 9,708
    Forum Member
    Spasmodic wrote: »
    Good post, AOTB.

1) I'm glad for those who don't understand why, I hope they and their loved-ones never end up in a situation where they do get to understand it. It would be nice though if they could just accept that years of nightmares, fear, shame and messed-up relationships as a result of such abuse were at least a possibility and that most abuse survivors are not interested in receiving any kind of financial recompense. Firstly because there is no money in the world that can give you back what was taken and secondly because it would truly be filthy lucre.

2) Abuse is subjective and what may just be something to shrug off for one person could be really frightening for another. I agree with AOTB that all instances should be investigated to get a complete picture and that these things should be left to the police and legal system. It's time to have an honest debate about attitudes towards sex and the abuse of power, because that, ultimately is what this kind of abuse is about.

I have to stop now before I go into a right angry rant.

Thanks Spasmodic and I echo your sentiments above- especially saying that abuse is subjective. It really is.

This is not a 'one size fits all' situation, and I had hoped in 2013 with the amount of information at our fingertips from past cases of abuse, (case studies/ documentaries etc) that people might be a little more understanding about these kinds of issues, and be slightly less dismissive.
    Forum Member
    Talking of missed opportunities the HMIC report referred to an incident as a victim attempting to report an offence committed by Savile prior to Operation Yewtree...but...
    One retired WYP officer provided a number of different pieces of information relating to Savile.

In particular, the officer described how whilst on duty, Savile was seen jogging in Roundhay Park.

The officer said “hello” but he did not respond as he seemed to be angry. A short time later the officer spoke to a female who the officer believed worked in the café in Roundhay Park and appeared upset.

She stated that Savile was a “horrible man” and she wished he would not come in to the café. At no time did she make an allegation of sexual assault or any other crime to the officer.

The officer who supplied the original details confirms that an allegation was not made to them at the time or subsequently.

And what did the owners of the cafe and 3 female staff say of Savile....
    Both the owners and the females have said that not only did Savile attend the café on a regular basis, but that they became good friends with Savile.

All have independently stated that at no time was Savile
    ever inappropriate towards them, in either words or actions. Savile took the females to London for the filming of Top of the Pops and also Jim’ll Fix It.

They describe him being like an uncle and acting like a gentleman.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01s9cqk/BBC_News_at_One_10_05_2013/
    20m40s in
    BBC lunchtime item, including reaction from a Duncroft survivor
  • Pandora 9Pandora 9 Posts: 2,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I heard about Jimmy having the police around to his flat for tea etc. I immediately thought crafty so and so. I think he was getting on their "good side" so if something did happen they would be on his side because he was such a *nice* friendly man. That is just my opinion because he came across as a devious individual to me.
    Forum Member
    AOTB wrote: »
    Thanks Spasmodic and I echo your sentiments above- especially saying that abuse is subjective. It really is.

This is not a 'one size fits all' situation, and I had hoped in 2013 with the amount of information at our fingertips from past cases of abuse, (case studies/ documentaries etc) that people might be a little more understanding about these kinds of issues, and be slightly less dismissive.

It would be nice if people could be a little more understanding or at least accepting of it. I think that, unfortunately, the way that the legal system is set up in this country compounds the issue and the root of that is that legislation and recourse to justice is set up objectively, By that I mean that the root of the legal system is set up around property and is therefore quantifiable. Sex crimes and other kinds of abuse by their very subjectivity are not quantifiable and the true damage of such events cannot be seen for many years. This is not a broken fence or a stolen television, but potentially years and years of damage, not just to the initial victim, but to other people who come into contact with them.

I do wonder that if the less understanding people were to think of this as soldiers damaged in a battle zone by post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD, formerly known as shell-shock) if they would view this in the same way. Does a soldier suffering from PTSD deserve to receive treatment, sympathy or any sort of support or even compensation? Should the same soldier just pull himself together and put it all behind him?

There will, no doubt, be people who will argue that the two situations are not the same thing, but recent research has shown that the two things are exactly the same.
  • cynet2007cynet2007 Posts: 80
    Forum Member
    Watching today's news he has now been accused of molesting a 5 year old!

Makes me stomach churn knowing this vile man was able to abuse so many people in front of police and hospital workers.

The thing they should do is wipe every recording ever made of this scum bag and remove his knighthood to go with it, as long as he keeps appearing on TV and being heard on radio his victims are suffering more for it.
  • bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cynet2007 wrote: »

Makes me stomach churn knowing this vile man was able to abuse so many people in front of police and hospital workers.

The thing they should do is wipe every recording ever made of this scum bag and remove his knighthood to go with it, as long as he keeps appearing on TV and being heard on radio his victims are suffering more for it.

In principle yes I agree, I would hate for them to wipe the remaining TOTP episodes though. Edit his links out yes but not the songs. There is only 2 complete 60s episodes and they are both hosted by him.
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The mans dead, you can demolish his grave, you can remove a title, you can wipe music shows if you wish, all that means is people dont get to see bits of music ( I doubt anyone will rerun Jim'll Fix It ) , it doesn't punish him and will never put right what he did wrong

He was clever he hid in the most public way possible, a true narcissit who fooled most people , we can look to blame people some who are innocent as they were fooled like his viewers , instead of concentrating on how to punish a corpse it would be better to see if the victims can be helped even after all these years and look at ways to make sure no one can get away with it again so easily.
  • honeythewitchhoneythewitch Posts: 37,237
    Forum Member

Lets paint over the Mona Lisa and bulldoze the Sistine chapel while we are at it!
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm another one who is very disappointed with the outcome of the WYP enquiry. It stinks. I'm not just disappointed because it didn't reveal what I wanted to hear, which, to be fair, is true. However, I think that the outcome was pretty much a foregone conclusion. I have my reasons for saying this but sadly can't reveal them on here.

People can be very forgetful and ignorant when it suits them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Second arrest in music schools sexual abuse investigation

http://www.channel4.com/news/new-arrest-in-investigation-into-music-abuse-sexual-abs
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 89
    Forum Member
    I cannot accept any enquiry that is done by those involved. It does not make sense to ask possible miscreants to investigate themselves.
    Why is this allowed?
  • sozzled2daysozzled2day Posts: 1,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    inquirer64 wrote: »
    I cannot accept any enquiry that is done by those involved. It does not make sense to ask possible miscreants to investigate themselves.
    Why is this allowed?
    It really shouldn't be, as the Hillsborough disaster proved. When the police investigate themselves, of course they're going to come up smelling of roses. It's an absolute fact that some police forces have covered up serious misdeeds in the past in order to protect their own officers and their own reputations. It feels like they're not there to protect the public anymore, but to protect themselves. The independent body is supposed to be the IPCC isn't it? Yet I think they have over 20% of ex-police officers working for them. It's time to have a governing body that doesn't have a single connection with the police if we want investigations into the police to report (more of) the truth.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jimmy Savile: police apologise for blunders that left him free to abuse
    West Yorkshire force admits to mishandling intelligence, missing chances to stop paedophile decades ago
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2013/may/10/jimmy-savile-police-apologise-blunders

I can't see WYP can recover from this. If they'd fessed up, they would have got at least some respect.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lots of tweets today along the lines of
    "I have conducted a thorough investigation of myself, and found myself faultless."
This discussion has been closed.