40 Years of Commercial Radio

copiermancopierman Posts: 342
Forum Member
Two part special starting tonight on Radio 2 at 10pm, (1 hour). The start of licenced Commercial Radio in the UK 40 years ago, starting with LBC Capital Radio & Radio Clyde.
Set your recorders for this two part show, there may be some good stuff of interest to DS posters:)

Comments

• Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For posters who may not have read this, earlier in the year the music trade magazine Music Week (in conjunction with RadioCentre) published a supplement which was given away free with the 05/07/13 issue of the magazine. The supplement is titled "Celebrating 40 Years Of Commercial Radio" and charts the development of commercial radio over the past 40 years.

The supplement is free to download as a PDF from the RadioCentre website though without the sponsors adverts which appeared in the print version of the supplement.

www.radiocentre.org/files/music_week_supplement.pdf

(link opens as a PDF)
  • FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,804
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the reminder, going to set my recorder definitely.
  • copiermancopierman Posts: 342
    Forum Member
    Robbie01 wrote: »
    For posters who may not have read this, earlier in the year the music trade magazine Music Week (in conjunction with RadioCentre) published a supplement which was given away free with the 05/07/13 issue of the magazine. The supplement is titled "Celebrating 40 Years Of Commercial Radio" and charts the development of commercial radio over the past 40 years.

The supplement is free to download as a PDF from the RadioCentre website though without the sponsors adverts which appeared in the print version of the supplement.

(link opens as a PDF)

Thanks for that it was a good read and is recommended to others with Radio interests. I have bookmarked it to read again.
  • reverse_diodereverse_diode Posts: 950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Robbie01 wrote: »

(link opens as a PDF)

Thanks. Bit surprised it doesn't mention Trent buying the remains of Centre Radio and creating Leicester Sound in 1984?
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A few major gaps in that history of commercial radio. One of the best, Chiltern Radio, which launched on 15th October 1981 was strangely absent. When it came to air in late 1981 I became quite obsessed with it!
  • James30James30 Posts: 5,201
    Forum Member
    On now on Radio 2.
  • jimbojimbo Posts: 16,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to have a full list by date of all the ILR launch dates and names and where they served.

Does anyone have a list of these in chronological order as I lost the list I had.

May be a bit of a large request, but if anyone can help please can you let me know. Thanks.
  • CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    Damn - missed it. Hopefully it's on iplayer?

I'll have a look tomorrow.

Thanks for the heads-up.
  • James30James30 Posts: 5,201
    Forum Member
    CRTHD wrote: »
    Damn - missed it. Hopefully it's on iplayer?

I'll have a look tomorrow.

Thanks for the heads-up.

It's on the BBC Radio iPlayer.
  • BMRBMR Posts: 4,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jimbo wrote: »
    I used to have a full list by date of all the ILR launch dates and names and where they served.

Does anyone have a list of these in chronological order as I lost the list I had.

May be a bit of a large request, but if anyone can help please can you let me know. Thanks.

I think they are on Wikipedia. ..
  • Mark CMark C Posts: 20,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deleted
  • baggiovalderrambaggiovalderram Posts: 702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An excellent listen...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really enjoyed that but looking forward to hearing about some stations from outside London next week. Id love to hear about BRMB in the same sort of detail as that but obviously they focussed on Capital because it was the first station.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • poppickers2345poppickers2345 Posts: 162
    Forum Member
    i have a feeling Lord Attenborough was at the Launch of Capital Radio back in 1973?
  • Sky_TechSky_Tech Posts: 134
    Forum Member
    i have a feeling Lord Attenborough was at the Launch of Capital Radio back in 1973?

He was. Joanna Lumley was on the board too.
  • krob2krob2 Posts: 1,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There used to be a lot of local celebs on ILR boards when it was properly local. City had Ken Dodd and Gerry Marsden, Red Rose had Victoria Wood when it started - she even did a slot on Day 1.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    krob2 wrote: »
    There used to be a lot of local celebs on ILR boards when it was properly local. City had Ken Dodd and Gerry Marsden, Red Rose had Victoria Wood when it started - she even did a slot on Day 1.

Yep, Max Bygraves was one of 2CR's directors, David Jabobs was also on Capital's board.
  • FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,804
    Forum Member
    krob2 wrote: »

Frank Muir on County Sound's board and his was the first voice heard.
  • AL89AL89 Posts: 2,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was 'alright' but really enjoyed hearing David Symonds again what a great voice he had. Radio 1's loss was Capital's gain.
    The opening line up at Capital was just awesome with David Symonds, Tommy Vance, Dave Cash, Roger Scott Tony Myatt Kenny Everett and Sarah Ward it didn't really get much better.
  • LateralthinkingLateralthinking Posts: 8,027
    Forum Member
    The first tranche was very exciting. Half way through the second it all started getting a bit too much.

Does anyone remember the ILR magazine circa 1976-1977? It might have been called Tune In and I think there was a flexi-disc on one Christmas issue with "When A Child Is Born". I must have a copy of it somewhere and the little light blue covered book that went with it with a couple of pages for each of the first 19. That was good.

I've also got a couple of the IBA annual handbooks from that time which covered ILR as well as ITV.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The first tranche was very exciting. Half way through the second it all started getting a bit too much.

Does anyone remember the ILR magazine circa 1976-1977? It might have been called Tune In and I think there was a flexi-disc on one Christmas issue with "When A Child Is Born". I must have a copy of it somewhere and the little light blue covered book that went with it with a couple of pages for each of the first 19. That was good.

I think Tune In was a pull out section of the TV Times?

There was another mag called Radio Guide, it only carried features and full details for some of the ILR stations, notably Capital but not LBC, Metro and Swansea were some of the other featured stations
  • CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    Mark C wrote: »
    I think Tune In was a pull out section of the TV Times?

There was another mag called Radio Guide, it only carried features and full details for some of the ILR stations, notably Capital but not LBC, Metro and Swansea were some of the other featured stations

That was look-in...

:kitty:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CRTHD wrote: »
    That was look-in...

:kitty:

Ha, no but I remember that too, but that was a separate publication, and pre-dated ILR by a couple of years, it launched in 1971.

I used to get it. Good job I never bought the edition featuring Suzi Quatro though, it certainly wouldn't have remained in mint condition with me for very long :D

http://goo.gl/KnceJm
  • ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,843
    Forum Member
    I hope Beacon gets a mention in part 2 as it was the real naughty boy of the first batch of stations.

I enjoyed it very much, I still don't realise why everyone in power was so scared of commercial radio and indeed TV back in the 50s