Options

Have you been ID'd for an ASDA home delivery?

CaptainObvious_CaptainObvious_ Posts: 3,881
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I happily accepted my goods and signed his gadget then he asks for some ID. Cue puzzled me 'I didn't buy any alcohol!'

Apparently it's what they need to do on each delivery

I showed some ID and he left.

I wonder what would have happened if I had no ID. I'd already accepted the food afterall

How bizarre

Was I stitched up by Asda?

Comments

• Options
    ItsTotesSoFluffItsTotesSoFluff Posts: 2,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope, never even when we have bought alcohol.
  • Options
    BluescopeBluescope Posts: 3,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I happily accepted my goods and signed his gadget then he asks for some ID. Cue puzzled me 'I didn't buy any alcohol!'

I wonder what would have happened if I had no ID. I'd already accepted the food afterall

How bizarre

Why do you say stitched up you had to show some ID not hand over your life savings ? I don't think it is unreasonable for them to ask for ID to ensure they have handed over the goods to the correct party. I must admit I have not been asked for ID when they have delivered goods but I would not object to it.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never been asked for ID by Tesco, so if ASDA are messing with their customers, I'll continue to avoid them for delivery.

Thanks for the heads up.
  • Options
    AllyourKittyAllyourKitty Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I get my shopping delivered by Tesco every month and have never encountered this, a little strange perhaps but probably nothing to worry about.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bluescope wrote: »
    Why do you say stitched up you had to show some ID not hand over your life savings ? I don't think it is unreasonable for them to ask for ID to ensure they have handed over the goods to the correct party. I must admit I have not been asked for ID when they have delivered goods but I would not object to it.

No, I don't mean stitched up like that, just played a joke on

I don't object to it :confused: but it baffles me as to why he asked after I'd already accepted the goods

Hasn't happened before hence the confusion
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get my shopping delivered by Tesco every month and have never encountered this, a little strange perhaps but probably nothing to worry about.

Nah, not worried, more curious as if this was what they were meant to do then why have I never been asked for ID on my other deliveries
  • Options
    hellsTinkerbellhellsTinkerbell Posts: 9,871
    Forum Member
    Ive never had this happen with online shopping being delivered.
    Still me being me if it did happen i'd feel the need to phone asda and ask if it is normal for it to happen or if its a new policy they have.
  • Options
    RellyRelly Posts: 3,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never been ID-ed by my Tesco man either, but I just wondered: do you live in a flat with a communal front door, or similar? Maybe they've had problems delivering to places like that (eg Flat 1 accepting a delivery for Flat 4, but not handing the goods over).

Just a thought, really.
  • Options
    HoffmisterHoffmister Posts: 12,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dear old ASDA..
    sorry sir I have a bad back so you must collect your shopping from the van.
    Sorry sir my manager says Im not allowed to carry stuff up steps
    Sorry sir we tried ringing you but both your landline and mobile where out of order
    ...I dont use them any more

driver might of been narked you didnt tip..had that before..I use OCADO
  • Options
    ba_baracusba_baracus Posts: 3,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have never had this problem. Mainly because the one time I tried to order shopping from them, they didn't turn up at all >:(

When I called the call centre to enquire, they called back all apologetic and said that they had been unable to contact the store as it was now closed for the evening.

So I went online and placed a delivery with Tesco which came the next morning.

The following afternoon the Asda driver called and apologised for the delay and asked whether we still wanted the delivery. We told him Tesco had already been :cool:
  • Options
    HoffmisterHoffmister Posts: 12,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ba_baracus wrote: »
    I have never had this problem. Mainly because the one time I tried to order shopping from them, they didn't turn up at all >:(

When I called the call centre to enquire, they called back all apologetic and said that they had been unable to contact the store as it was now closed for the evening.

So I went online and placed a delivery with Tesco which came the next morning.

The following afternoon the Asda driver called and apologised for the delay and asked whether we still wanted the delivery. We told him Tesco had already been :cool:

Sounds like your delivery managers a clone of our moron
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,964
    Forum Member
    Yes. We had a delivery from Asda, no booze, no age related products at all and when they delivered it they refused to hand it over as my daughter was only 17.
  • Options
    MrsceeMrscee Posts: 5,271
    Forum Member
    Never had this from Asda at all. My daughter will get the delivery when it comes. No booze. My daughter is 18 but small skinny thing and would pass for 15
  • Options
    Goblin QueenGoblin Queen Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    I've never been asked for ID by Tesco, so if ASDA are messing with their customers, I'll continue to avoid them for delivery.

Thanks for the heads up.

I can't imagine overreacting so much to something so trivial. Why are some people so averse to showing ID they go out of the way to make life difficult for themselves? Bizarre.
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because they are, and look, (well) over 18 / 25 and don't feel that need any?

To quote part of another of my posts, on another thread ...
    nanscombe wrote: »
    ... More interesting is whether or not young people tend to think it's weird, even suspicious, for older people not to have a driving licence at all, as the youngsters have grown accustomed to needing one to buy alcohol, cigarettes etc and to get into clubs.
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Who am I? I'm Mr. Smith's burglar. Come in, try the Haagen-Daz and make yourself at home. I know I do!"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Relly wrote: »
    I've never been ID-ed by my Tesco man either, but I just wondered: do you live in a flat with a communal front door, or similar? Maybe they've had problems delivering to places like that (eg Flat 1 accepting a delivery for Flat 4, but not handing the goods over).

Just a thought, really.

good point. I do indeed live in a flat with a communal front door

Mystery solved (probably)

I don't know why people think I'm complaining about needing to show ID :S I'm merely curious as to why it hasn't happened before and wondered if it was something that actually does happen. It must be in a driver rule book somewhere and my driver was being a rule abiding employee :kitty:
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't imagine overreacting so much to something so trivial. Why are some people so averse to showing ID they go out of the way to make life difficult for themselves? Bizarre.

Because I'm the customer, at my home address, I've already had my bank account debited for the cost of the goods, and I don't expect to be hassled for ID at my own bloody front door.

That said, I can see why the OP was asked for ID in this instance, given the communal nature of the accommodation. Although the delivery guy should have explained why he was asking.

It's not making life difficult for me anyway. Tesco are far superior to ASDA when it comes to home delivery. Although in store, ASDA have the edge.
  • Options
    Steve™Steve™ Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member

How bizarre

No never asked me in years I have been ordering!

I think in the world we live it its understandable that in some areas and with some people they might exercise their right to ask though.
  • Options
    NilremNilrem Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    I'm guessing that ASDA are possibly being overly cautious, it could be they've decided it's easier for their insurance and legal obligations to make sure that they get an adults signature every delivery than to rely on flagging up only deliveries when there is an item in the order that requires one.

IIRC ASDA sell DVD's, games, sharp objects (knives, cooking utensils, BBQ tools, tools), and alcohol all of which require them to make sure the person buying is over 18, and I suspect that could be interpreted to mean that the person taking delivery is over 18 as well.
    So if their home delivery gear isn't versitile, or they're worried about their man missing a flagged delivery, getting an adults sig and some proof of id is a good idea.

It can also be a very good idea in regards to fraud in some areas, or with sorts of buildings (and again getting it for everyone could be an easier option than to get it for flagged addresses).
  • Options
    NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    I got ID'd by the Sainsbury delivery chap a few months ago, on receipt of the delivery.my first with Sainsburys.. was fine as I had ordered a few alcoholic drinks, and he asked because of the challenge 25 thing, he was very polite and young and said I did not look over 25, quick flash of my passport lol. The kids were not in hehe, any other time while the kids have been in, the delivery guy does a quick signature then that's that!
  • Options
    nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never been asked by any delivery driver, he just says delivery for X - I say yes and they give me it and ask for signature.

Thats with booze and ****.
  • Options
    RellyRelly Posts: 3,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    good point. I do indeed live in a flat with a communal front door

Mystery solved (probably)

I don't know why people think I'm complaining about needing to show ID :S I'm merely curious as to why it hasn't happened before and wondered if it was something that actually does happen. It must be in a driver rule book somewhere and my driver was being a rule abiding employee :kitty:

Glad to have hopefully shed some light on it. :) Having said that, there are some others on here who've been ID-ed even though they don't live in a flat but had bought alcohol, so who knows? I bet you did get a rule-follower. :D

To be honest, I think I'd have had to call their customer services to put myself out of my misery as to why - I'm just a nosy bint at the end of the day (aka "Phone themmmmm!!! Tell meeee! Nowwww!! haha!)
  • Options
    PenicilinaPenicilina Posts: 93
    Forum Member
    I work for Sainsbury's online and our drivers have to ask for ID if they believe the customer is under 25, even if they haven't ordered any age related products. It's just the companies policy, although very few of our drivers ask for ID.
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, the postman always asks me for ID when he delivers a parcel.
    S'funny cos I thought that by registering on a supermarket site with a name and address and using a credit card registered at that address would be sufficient for a delivery to take place.
    Maybe I should ask the driver for ID next time.