Options

Will England get out of the group stage?

Terry NTerry N Posts: 5,262
Forum Member
Do you think England will fall at the first fence? :confused:

Will they go through to the second stage? 75 votes

Yes
60% 45 votes
No
40% 30 votes

Comments

• Options
    CGG_12CGG_12 Posts: 7,483
    Forum Member
    They'll draw with Italy and beat Uruguay for me

Think they'll reach quarters and bow out then
  • Options
    DandemDandem Posts: 13,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, I reckon we will.
  • Options
    rhynoGBrhynoGB Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With the young attacking talent we have I think we can do pretty well.

I think we can get out of the group stage. There isn't a team we should really be afraid of. Brazil & Argentina could cause us problems though.
  • Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    50/50
  • Options
    ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    I don't think we will.
  • Options
    OneTreeHillFanOneTreeHillFan Posts: 7,725
    Forum Member
    I am really not sure, 50/50 to me

I could easily the table ending either

or

with England being one of the 4's/5's, so goals scored could be very important, don't see us excelling there.

Voted no cos I'm a pessimist.
  • Options
    Terry NTerry N Posts: 5,262
    Forum Member
    Apart from Louis, have Uruguay got anyone decent?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cavani for one and does Forlan still play International?
  • Options
    OneTreeHillFanOneTreeHillFan Posts: 7,725
    Forum Member
    Terry N wrote: »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uruguay_national_football_team#Current_squad

A couple of decent names there.

Very scary up front with Cavani and Suarez :S
  • Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member

Cracking array of attacking options - Suarez, Cavani, Forlan (still!), and Hernandez. I wouldn't say they had many weak links as most of their players play for top division sides in Italy and Spain.

The CB that's just starred for Atletico - Godin. He's quality as well. They've maybe got the best South American goalie too in Muslera.

So a good team with a very dangerous attack, ranked 6th in the world. They deserve respect.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes. In Roy we trust
  • Options
    JMTDJMTD Posts: 7,967
    Forum Member
    Think we will.

For me the key game is Costa Rica for us, Italy and Uruguay. I actually fancy all three to finish on 5 points (All beating Costa Rica but all drawing with each other). If so it'll come down to goal difference.

England and Italy for me in this group.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You never know with England.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Roy is playing a clever game, he knows hes in the group of death so rather than take the older guys and get lambasted when they get dumped before the 1/4 finals, for not playing the fantastic youngsters England have, he is taking all the young uns ( will he play them?) so now when they get dumped everyone will have it down as glorious defeat and they were never expected to do well in the group etc etc
  • Options
    kingjeremykingjeremy Posts: 9,077
    Forum Member
    Group of death, christ.

There are at least two other groups harder than ours.
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Uruguay start against Costa Rica, good chance of 3 points in the bag. I actually think England have more chance of getting through at the expense of Italy who are often slow starters in tournaments.
  • Options
    jrmswfcjrmswfc Posts: 5,644
    Forum Member
    I reckon we'll squeeze through.

Italy are notoriously slow starters and both teams will probably be happy with a point in the Manaus heat. Uruguay are beatable, despite their strong attack, and let's face it all three sides should be beating Costa Rica with England having the advantage of playing the two tougher games first, one of the other two (probably Uruguay) may well go into their last game against each other knowing that a draw may not be enough to qualify so will have to go for a win. We may look at Italy and Uruguay with some trepidation, but they won't be too keen on playing against us either.

Then we'll probably lose to Ivory Coast or Colombia in round 2 :D
  • Options
    EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It all depends on what happens in the Italy game - get something out of that and we probably will get out of the group.
  • Options
    Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JMTD wrote: »
    Think we will.

For me the key game is Costa Rica for us, Italy and Uruguay. I actually fancy all three to finish on 5 points (All beating Costa Rica but all drawing with each other). If so it'll come down to goal difference.

England and Italy for me in this group.

Exactly how I see it too, and it'll come down to how many each of us beat Costa Rica by.
  • Options
    Draca_NoirDraca_Noir Posts: 1,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jrmswfc wrote: »
    I reckon we'll squeeze through.

Italy are notoriously slow starters and both teams will probably be happy with a point in the Manaus heat. Uruguay are beatable, despite their strong attack, and let's face it all three sides should be beating Costa Rica with England having the advantage of playing the two tougher games first, one of the other two (probably Uruguay) may well go into their last game against each other knowing that a draw may not be enough to qualify so will have to go for a win. We may look at Italy and Uruguay with some trepidation, but they won't be too keen on playing against us either.

Then we'll probably lose to Ivory Coast or Colombia in round 2 :D

Italy are slow starters but I don't think that will be the case this time. It's usually when they are in a group they should be winning easily they turn up late. I think England should try and surprise them though, press high and attack early. It will be tough in the heat though, but an early goal would be great for them.
  • Options
    Draca_NoirDraca_Noir Posts: 1,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Cavani is the obvious one. I think the strength of the Uruguay team is that they have pretty much played the same team for the past 4+ years so pretty much everyone knows their roles. Their defence is pretty good though - Diego Godin has been excellent for Atletico and the two full backs are very good also. The midfield is industrious, their job is to win the ball back and give it quickly to the front three who are well known to do damage on the break.
  • Options
    bestevezbestevez Posts: 125
    Forum Member
    It's a no from me.

If we win a game I will be surprised. Having Roy in charge feels me with no confidence & playing in the heat of Brazil will not help us.

The best I can hope for is a draw against Italy & Costa Rica.

I hope I'm proved wrong:(
  • Options
    big macbig mac Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bestevez wrote: »
    It's a no from me.

If we win a game I will be surprised. Having Roy in charge feels me with no confidence & playing in the heat of Brazil will not help us.

The best I can hope for is a draw against Italy & Costa Rica.

I hope I'm proved wrong:(

I think even with Hodgson's defensive style we will beat Costa Rica. I think we're capable of getting at least a draw against the other two sides, which would give us five points and may well help us squeeze through. It is quite a tough group, though.
  • Options
    Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My prediction

Italy 0-0 draw
    Uruguay 0-2 loss
    Costa Rica 1-0 win

England finish 3rd
  • Options
    sparkie70sparkie70 Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its a tough group but with the talent we have & if they are allowed a bit of freedom then I see why not but I agree we need something from Italy.