Options

Have you ever had a Ghostly Experience?

attitude99attitude99 Posts: 14,848
Forum Member
✭✭
Have you ever had a moment when you could have sworn that something was standing behind you or you could hear footsteps or unidentified noises being heard.

Mine was last year when I came back from my Nan's Funeral & we had a Christmas Train Set that went around the Christmas tree & it was packed away in the box & had been for months. When we came back it was playing 'Jingle Bells'. We had not touched it at all for 8 months & thought it was really weird.

Also in my old house items such as one slipper or any other small but noticeable items would go missing & we could never find them. Apparently a baby had died there about 100 years previous to us living there so that's why things were going missing.

Comments

• Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    attitude99 wrote: »
    Have you ever had a moment when you could have sworn that something was standing behind you or you could hear footsteps or unidentified noises being heard.

Plenty of times, but never once have I thought there was anything but a non-ghostly and perfectly rational explanation for it.
  • Options
    talentedmonkeytalentedmonkey Posts: 2,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My first job had its office space occupying the whole 3rd floor of old house, building was early victorian although building on site for hundreds of years.

There were 6 employees including myself. One of us would stay behind to cover the phones at lunchtime and take a late lunch.

One day came back and found the young lady staying behind had locked herself in the rest room, she told us she had heard someone come up the stairs, top floor creaks in certain way when weight is placed on it, she heard doors open and close, she could not see anyone and thought it was an intruder. We looked found no-one.

over the following weeks we all heard someone coming up the stairs and opening closing doors but no one was there. things then started disappearing and were then found in strange places, such as a large pile of paperwork which disappeared from someone's desk during trip to the toilet then turning up hours later on a shelf in another room.

Ghosts do exist, but they are just demons pretending to be dead people. I told this one to go in name of Jesus and of course it obeyed, we never had a problem with it after.
  • Options
    maidinscotlandmaidinscotland Posts: 5,648
    Forum Member
    Bex_123 wrote: »
    Plenty of times, but never once have I thought there was anything but a non-ghostly and perfectly rational explanation for it.

My thoughts exactly
    My first job had its office space occupying the whole 3rd floor of old house, building was early victorian although building on site for hundreds of years.

There were 6 employees including myself. One of us would stay behind to cover the phones at lunchtime and take a late lunch.

One day came back and found the young lady staying behind had locked herself in the rest room, she told us she had heard someone come up the stairs, top floor creaks in certain way when weight is placed on it, she heard doors open and close, she could not see anyone and thought it was an intruder. We looked found no-one.

over the following weeks we all heard someone coming up the stairs and opening closing doors but no one was there. things then started disappearing and were then found in strange places, such as a large pile of paperwork which disappeared from someone's desk during trip to the toilet then turning up hours later on a shelf in another room.

Ghosts do exist, but they are just demons pretending to be dead people. I told this one to go in name of Jesus and of course it obeyed, we never had a problem with it after.

You say that as fact but of course that isn't a fact, it is your opinion.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought i saw a ghost once, then i realised it was just my reflection in the mirror :o
  • Options
    duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

How on earth would you know that as a fact ?? And what exactly are demons ?
  • Options
    JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    attitude99 wrote: »
    Also in my old house items such as one slipper or any other small but noticeable items would go missing & we could never find them. Apparently a baby had died there about 100 years previous to us living there so that's why things were going missing.

No, it wasn't.

No, they don't.
    Bex_123 wrote: »

Exactly.
  • Options
    attitude99attitude99 Posts: 14,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pjw1985 wrote: »
    I thought i saw a ghost once, then i realised it was just my reflection in the mirror :o

Haha ^_^
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, it wasn't.

No, they don't.

Exactly.

Short, to the point and totally correct.

There are no ghosts, demons or any other form of 'spirits' for that matter. :)
  • Options
    Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member

That largely depends on how you define a "ghost."

Highly unlikely that they could be conscious spirits of the deceased, but I do believe people have seen or experienced them.

Whether they are hallucinations, residual energy of some kind or something along the lines of stonetape theory, I wouldn't completely dismiss them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flat Matt wrote: »
    That largely depends on how you define a "ghost."

Highly unlikely that they could be conscious spirits of the deceased, but I do believe people have seen or experienced them.

Whether they are hallucinations, residual energy of some kind or something along the lines of stonetape theory, I wouldn't completely dismiss them.

I believe that a variety of totally natural phenomena and also how the brain processes information are responsible for 'hauntings'.

Although I agree that these disturbing experiences seem absolutely 'real' to those who have had them.

But the subject is far too complicated to go into at this time of night. :)
  • Options
    SplotSplot Posts: 600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I was kid, I woke up at my grandparents house with a bleeding nose. I switched on the light to to go to the bathroom and there was a skeletal figure hanging outside my room directly ahead of me.

I know I was not awake because I was too afraid to wake anyone up, I looked at my watch and it was about 4.15am, I stayed awake with the light on until breakfast and didn't say a thing.

I know it wasn't a ghost, I don't believe in them. I must have been really ill, maybe I was hallucinating. That said 25 years later when I had to move in to the house on my own I didn't sleep well ever.
  • Options
    GrannyGruntbuckGrannyGruntbuck Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have had numerous possible and definite paranormal experiences.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ghosts don't exist so no one has seen one, me included.
  • Options
    LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That made me actually laugh out loud.
  • Options
    LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had random stuff happen that seems to defy logic. I've also never actually though 'oh it must be a ghost'.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People think they experience ghosts because that's how the brain processes the info. Unidentifiable shapes become human faces and figure because that's how our brains work. However, the laws of thermodynamics prove categorically that ghosts do not exist.
  • Options
    Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    some of the women at work claim theres a ghost there.

ive never seen it, obviously.......
  • Options
    jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member

My thoughts exactly
  • Options
    jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    Splot wrote: »
    When I was kid, I woke up at my grandparents house with a bleeding nose. I switched on the light to to go to the bathroom and there was a skeletal figure hanging outside my room directly ahead of me.

I know I was not awake because I was too afraid to wake anyone up, I looked at my watch and it was about 4.15am, I stayed awake with the light on until breakfast and didn't say a thing.

I know it wasn't a ghost, I don't believe in them. I must have been really ill, maybe I was hallucinating. That said 25 years later when I had to move in to the house on my own I didn't sleep well ever.

Why do so many ghost stories start this way? You were still asleep and dreaming
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    People think they experience ghosts because that's how the brain processes the info. Unidentifiable shapes become human faces and figure because that's how our brains work. However, the laws of thermodynamics prove categorically that ghosts do not exist.

Those pesky laws of thermodynamics, they are bloody total party poopers if you ask me! :D
  • Options
    SplotSplot Posts: 600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jackol wrote: »
    Why do so many ghost stories start this way? You were still asleep and dreaming

It's not a ghost story. Try reading it again.

Just to add, jackol - if you are reading this, why are you so incredibly rude? I quite clearly said that I don't believe in ghosts. Maybe you should change your username to jackass.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 1,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are no ghosts.

People use stories of such things to make themselves appear interesting and to get people to like them more.

Its quite sad
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my digital radio came blasting on loud in the bedroom at 11pm one night and went to turn it off the dog ran in there hackles up and started growling at the corner, then I went to bed a 1am and the touch lamps kept coming on and off. I was scared, I just always had an uneasy feeling in that flat. No where else I have lived has made me feel like that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    contrarian wrote: »
    There are no ghosts.

People use stories of such things to make themselves appear interesting and to get people to like them more.

Its quite sad

I used to be naïve like that.
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I want to not believe in them, but have had a few experiences whether I wanted to be cynical or not. One was corroborated by a second person who told me, 15 years later, of a ghosty experience she'd had which was identical to mine. We'd not told eachother at the time. There was another incident in the same house that had two separate witnesses, as well. Both times, it was when guests were in the house overnight. So maybe the ghost didn't like visitors...