Options

A newbie speaks!!

2»

Comments

• Options
    lach doch mallach doch mal Posts: 16,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hello. OP. It's always nice to see new posters. (Well, I suppose you could have been posting for ages but I've not seen your posts.)

Firstly, I can't call you yummydutchmayo all the time, so I'll just call you yummy.

Secondly, is Dutch mayo yummier than English? If so, where can I get some?

Thirdly, I agree with sovietusername (see, he's another one - I'll have to call him soviet) that the TV Movie is worth a watch.

Fourthly, avoid Trial of a Tome lord at all costs until you have watched everyhing else.

Fifthly - of course you are a fan if you watch and (usually) enjoy DW. I am baffled as to why some people think you have to watch "classic" stuff to be a "real" fan. Watch what you like if you like it - if you don't like it, don't bother with it. There isn't a test to pass!

Sixthly. if the Tenth Doctor makes you swoon, then you obviously have impeccable taste. :)

**strangles granny**

I'm fighting a lonely fight here:cry:.
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just read an interesting debate on another thread where a fan of the nu-who was accused of not being a fan - truth is i am scared of the old series - I don't know where to start and I have been warned off going straight to the 60s show from the new shows - i vaguely remember Sylvester McCoy and Ace from the 80s but I was pretty young - now I'm obsessed with Who (yes, the tenth doctor makes me swoon, I admit) but I don't know if i could call myself a real fan, and I don't know where to start when delving into the big world of Who!

Any advice/thoughts/comments??
    **strangles granny**

I'm fighting a lonely fight here:cry:.

Sorry. :o

You know I'm very fond of the Sixth Doctor. But when I watched ToaTT with my husband we did roll our eyes a bit.

A lot less than I rolled them at Doctor Who in Narnia, though, if it's any consolation. :D

Maybe I'll change my mind when we get round to it on the rewatch! (I recently changed my mind about The Beast Below).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry. :o

You know I'm very fond of the Sixth Doctor. But when I watched ToaTT with my husband we did roll our eyes a bit.

A lot less than I rolled them at Doctor Who in Narnia, though, if it's any consolation. :D

Maybe I'll change my mind when we get round to it on the rewatch! (I recently changed my mind about The Beast Below).

I don't think you will:D, and I dont' want you too. I love Colin, for whatever strange reason. I'm just pulling people's leg and I understand that not everyone will share my opinion on this. It's just that Colin seems like such a lovely person, and his stories seemed to have some philosophical message.

**very respectfully snoggs Granny**
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think you will:D, and I dont' want you too. I love Colin, for whatever strange reason. I'm just pulling people's leg and I understand that not everyone will share my opinion on this. It's just that Colin seems like such a lovely person, and his stories seemed to have some philosophical message.

**very respectfully snoggs Granny**

I agree that Colin seems a great bloke from all I've heard of him. I do like his Doctor!

(I know you're only kidding. :D **snoggs Lach back** :))
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree that Colin seems a great bloke from all I've heard of him. I do like his Doctor!

(I know you're only kidding. :D **snoggs Lach back** :))

**jumps up and down as she finally made it in the forum**

Wow a snogg from Granny:cool:.

Actually I'm one of the strange people, I would probably not want to watch another story with the fifth Doctor (sorry to everyone:o), but I adore the sixth Doctor. I also love Doctor nine in preference to Doctor 10 (although I really love David).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    **jumps up and down as she finally made it in the forum**

Wow a snogg from Granny:cool:.

Actually I'm one of the strange people, I would probably not want to watch another story with the fifth Doctor (sorry to everyone:o), but I adore the sixth Doctor. I also love Doctor nine in preference to Doctor 10 (although I really love David).

**gives lach another snogg for good luck**

I do find the Fifth a bit bland. (Don't tell davey).

You know I love Ten beyond all reason, and loved watching the repeats of all his series recently on BBC3, but it's Matt I really look forward to watching now. :)
  • Options
    daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

**gives lach another snogg for good luck**

I do find the Fifth a bit bland. (Don't tell davey).

You know I love Ten beyond all reason, and loved watching the repeats of all his series recently on BBC3, but it's Matt I really look forward to watching now. :)

Rather watch Mr Bland than Mr Blubby anyday Granny! :p:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    Hello. OP. It's always nice to see new posters. (Well, I suppose you could have been posting for ages but I've not seen your posts.)

Firstly, I can't call you yummydutchmayo all the time, so I'll just call you yummy.

Secondly, is Dutch mayo yummier than English? If so, where can I get some?

Thirdly, I agree with sovietusername (see, he's another one - I'll have to call him soviet) that the TV Movie is worth a watch.

Fourthly, avoid Trial of a Tome lord at all costs until you have watched everyhing else.

Fifthly - of course you are a fan if you watch and (usually) enjoy DW. I am baffled as to why some people think you have to watch "classic" stuff to be a "real" fan. Watch what you like if you like it - if you don't like it, don't bother with it. There isn't a test to pass!

Sixthly. if the Tenth Doctor makes you swoon, then you obviously have impeccable taste. :)

Impeccable taste? I like to think so...people are always moaning about Tennants 'fangirls', but I am unashamed!! The tenth doctor is my doctor and he'll always hold a special place in my heart :o:o

Dutch mayo rocks...kinda like the sweeter mayo in a McChicken sandwich....yuuummmmmyyyy and vendors serve lashings of it on chips on the streets of amsterdam....ahhhh dutch mayo.....lol x

okay.....have watched City of Death and LOVED it!
    watched Time and the Rani too but Bonnie Langford screaming drove me slightly mental......started watching Ghostlight too and it seems awesome...I really like Ace and I really like Romana too, gonna try a few stories from each doctor and then dive in to Baker probably.

You are all magnificently helpful!! :)

And is it just me or was Tom Baker a bit of a stud back in the day.....maybe it's the scarf..........hahah :o
  • Options
    DoctorQuiDoctorQui Posts: 6,428
    Forum Member
    OP, much like some of the other posters here, I've been a fan since the Classic series Jon Pertwee was my first Doctor and as a fan since that time my advice is, DO NOT listen to anyone spouting off any old toss about you not being a proper fan. Truth is, you have probably learned more about DW in a short time span than they have learned in a lifetime. Just because they watched and sort of liked the show back then, doesn't make them an authority. Secondly, its fans like you that are the reason that the programme was such a success from 2005.

Now, don't be scared of Classic Who. However, don't watch it expecting the sort of special effects you see today. IMHO, you should start with Tom Baker, probably from the middle of his era onwards (the best and most classic stuff is at the beginning of his tenure buts its not the easiest to watch!), then watch Peter D (not a lot about him you can dislike and the effects were 'ok'!) this should prepare you for the contrast change with Colin Baker and the reasons for it!

I can't really comment about Sylvester as I wasn't a fan and tbh, he turned me off Who!

The Movie is def worth a look, its a little strange in terms of how DW lore is used, but its epicness makes up for it!

Enjoy and seriously, anyone who tells you you're not a fan is an a*se!
  • Options
    ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    That's it, spoil my theory. :D

But still with those storylines, there really isn't a whole lot you need to know from story to story. It's not like it's a huge jigsaw the viewer has to gradually piece together, it's more just a theme to keep in mind.

And to be honest, does anyone really understand Trial of a Time Lord? It's so uneven that watching it from any point wouldn't be any different from watching it from the start. lol

Yes, perhaps OP you should avoid that one for now. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rather watch Mr Bland than Mr Blubby anyday Granny! :p:D

One of the rare things we disagree about, davey. :D
    Impeccable taste? I like to think so...people are always moaning about Tennants 'fangirls', but I am unashamed!! The tenth doctor is my doctor and he'll always hold a special place in my heart :o:o

Dutch mayo rocks...kinda like the sweeter mayo in a McChicken sandwich....yuuummmmmyyyy and vendors serve lashings of it on chips on the streets of amsterdam....ahhhh dutch mayo.....lol x

okay.....have watched City of Death and LOVED it!
    watched Time and the Rani too but Bonnie Langford screaming drove me slightly mental......started watching Ghostlight too and it seems awesome...I really like Ace and I really like Romana too, gonna try a few stories from each doctor and then dive in to Baker probably.

You are all magnificently helpful!! :)

And is it just me or was Tom Baker a bit of a stud back in the day.....maybe it's the scarf..........hahah :o

Maybe someone should have warned you about Mel and her screams...

Re TB being a stud; I've recently decided that Ian Chesterton (First Doctor's companion) is fairly gorgeous. Watch An Unearthly Child if you want to see what I mean.:D

I've never been to Amsterdam, so sadly have never tried the Dutch mayo. I'll have to take your word on that. :D

I'm really glad you are enjoying watching the Classic Who episodes. Keep us posted on your impressions. :)
  • Options
    Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow. Another thread that's gone off topic into Granny McSmith having a conversation with somebody.
  • Options
    nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    Tom Tit wrote: »
    Wow. Another thread that's gone off topic into Granny McSmith having a conversation with somebody.

I know. Good, isn't it? :D

I thought it was pretty much on topic myself. I'd ask the OP their opinion but they're consumed in a conversation with Granny.

:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    One of the rare things we disagree about, davey. :D

Maybe someone should have warned you about Mel and her screams...

Re TB being a stud; I've recently decided that Ian Chesterton (First Doctor's companion) is fairly gorgeous. Watch An Unearthly Child if you want to see what I mean.:D

I've never been to Amsterdam, so sadly have never tried the Dutch mayo. I'll have to take your word on that. :D

I'm really glad you are enjoying watching the Classic Who episodes. Keep us posted on your impressions. :)

Googled Ian Chesterton...very suave...reminds me of a young Edward Norton....will have to watch soon. Bit smart for me...I like the crinkled pinstripe suit of the tenth and I think it's the
    70s vibe n Bolan hair of TB! lol