Telefonica O2 financial report due tomorrow

Comments

• StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Despite excellent customer satisfaction, growing numbers of users, millions upgraded to smartphones on the network we have the same old, same old O2 hate brigade desperate to bash the company at every opportunity possible. Some just don't get it! The network has been a huge success in the UK and delivers mobile communications to more than 25.5 million customers, more than any other single network has ever done outwith the merged EE entity.

With higher than average prices it still attracts and satisfies it's customers. That must really rile some folks who can't seem to understand that if they were anything like what they stated they would have been in decline for years as there are plenty of alternatives in the marketplace.

The same O2 bashers will continue to troll out the same tired claims, perhaps in the hope that if you repeat something often enough some might believe it!

Despite the 'opinions' of a few well known knockers on DS, O2 are still the success of the mobile industry in the UK by a mile!

More bollocks again.

Comment on the lack of 3g a decade or more since it was released in the UK please.

Comment also on O2 being the WORST uk network for reliability with 2 massive uk wide outages in the matter of weeks to which you vanished for weeks over....

I have asked 3 times and 3 times you keep banging the same bullshit out. So, lets have it please. I bet you cant without adding anything else on about satisfaction etc etc etc....
  • wiltwilt Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A lack of complaints made to Ofcom does not indicate that all customers are satisfied.

I haven't complained to Ofcom about the two extended downtimes or the abysmal 3G coverage on my train ride home from uni. Does that mean that I am ecstatic to be an O2 customer, or even remotely happy with their performance? No it does not. It just means that complaining to Ofcom would yield little reward for what would be a large amount of effort to get it escalated so far.
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It simply means O2 are better at dealing with complaints, as Ofcom say you should contact the operator first. However regulator complaints doesn't equal network satisfaction at all.

I'd like to hear from Wave on Stiggles post though as he has asked several times for a response. We've all been waiting a long time to hear thoughts on those aspects, but all we get is stonewalling, silence and deflection as the same old Ofcom links are posted time after time.

Wave?
  • mogzyboymogzyboy Posts: 6,426
    Forum Member
    Despite excellent customer satisfaction, growing numbers of users, millions upgraded to smartphones on the network we have the same old, same old O2 hate brigade desperate to bash the company at every opportunity possible. Some just don't get it! The network has been a huge success in the UK and delivers mobile communications to more than 25.5 million customers, more than any other single network has ever done outwith the merged EE entity.

With higher than average prices it still attracts and satisfies it's customers. That must really rile some folks who can't seem to understand that if they were anything like what they stated they would have been in decline for years as there are plenty of alternatives in the marketplace.

The same O2 bashers will continue to troll out the same tired claims, perhaps in the hope that if you repeat something often enough some might believe it!

Despite the 'opinions' of a few well known knockers on DS, O2 are still the success of the mobile industry in the UK by a mile!
    Just because they have loads of customers, doesn't make them any good. I mean, look at Vauxhall during the 90s - loads of people had their cars, but they were sh*t. Strictly Come Dancing is garbage, but loads watch it. Need I go on?

Just because they're selling a few smartphones, it doesn't mean those people are using them or what they could/should be used for (data stuff). If they were, they'd realise how pathetic the 3G coverage is. Do you think Three/EE customers would be happy on O2's 3G network? Doubt it somehow. Imagine if O2 had to cope with the amount of mobile data that Three does? It'd implode!!

O2 is fine if you want to just make calls and texts, but that's about it (and it manages to balls that up if the last year is anything to go by). It's not 'O2 hate', as you put it, it's just fact. Simple as that.

If they manage to go from fourth to first (in terms of the ability to actually use your phone to any great level) in the UK mobile network pyramid over the next couple of years, I'll be the first to hold my hands up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think Wavejockglw is going to answer Stiggles questions about 3G or comment on the outages. It's a shame, but it seems he only wants to spout out the same tired Ofcom statistics and avoid discussion of repeated outages or lack of investment in 3G.

The company has done well to add customers, but at the cost of revenues as they haven't invested in 3G and haven't replaced falling text and call revenues with data income, so are losing out financially to the competition. You can still have a lot of customers but provide an unreliable service, with frequent outages, I'd like to hear a comment on that.
    Forum Member
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    I don't think Wavejockglw is going to answer Stiggles questions about 3G or comment on the outages. It's a shame, but it seems he only wants to spout out the same tired Ofcom statistics and avoid discussion of repeated outages or lack of investment in 3G.
    It's a bit like when a football team gets absolutely trounced, and the manager comes on the telly afterwards and says, "Well, we can take positives from the game..." :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mogzyboy wrote: »
    It's a bit like when a football team gets absolutely trounced, and the manager comes on the telly afterwards and says, "Well, we can take positives from the game..." :p

Well... not exactly, in the case of Wave I think he's talking as if he went to a totally different game than the one everyone else watched!
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member

The company has done well to add customers, but at the cost of revenues as they haven't invested in 3G and haven't replaced falling text and call revenues with data income, so are losing out financially to the competition. You can still have a lot of customers but provide an unreliable service, with frequent outages, I'd like to hear a comment on that.

I'm a bit confused why wavejock is avoiding this completely. Even a small acknowledgement would do haha.

I agree what you say about their lack of investment in 3G data. The market is moving away from voice and more to texts and data. They've sorted the texts out by upping their plans from 500 texts to unlimited texts. But the data has gone the other way, from unlimited to 250mb-2GB max for £41pm minimum
  • wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's obvious that the 25.5+ million customers that choose to keep paying O2 must be clueless and wasting their cash on smartphones etc that they can't use! Still the anti-O2 brigade will state it's rubbish, not fit for purpose, has little coverage, it's parent is going bust, etc, etc...... yet the paying public select the network in record numbers. Pointless argument really as the facts simply don't match the negative claims so often repeated by the few with such an anti O2 agenda.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's obvious that the 25.5+ million customers that choose to keep paying O2 must be clueless and wasting their cash on smartphones etc that they can't use! Still the anti-O2 brigade will state it's rubbish, not fit for purpose, has little coverage, it's parent is going bust, etc, etc...... yet the paying public select the network in record numbers. Pointless argument really as the facts simply don't match the negative claims so often repeated by the few with such an anti O2 agenda.

We've all been waiting a long time to hear thoughts on the aspects raised by Stiggles, but all we get is stonewalling, silence and deflection as this post once again indicates. It's just generic promotion, not an answer to the questions asked.

What about the regular outages and the lack of 3G investment specifically Wave? and how it's now hitting revenues for the company.
    Forum Member
    Well... not exactly, in the case of Wave I think he's talking as if he went to a totally different game than the one everyone else watched!
    That's a better way of putting it. He's the Arsene 'I didn't see it' Wenger of this forum.

Apologies to the Arsenal fans out there... :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mogzyboy wrote: »
    That's a better way of putting it. He's the Arsene 'I didn't see it' Wenger of this forum.

Apologies to the Arsenal fans out there... :D

And the only way the anti-O2 brigade usually respond to challenges about their O2 vendetta is to post personally abusive comments.

It is very notable that when challenged to provide evidence for sweeping statements about the network's complaint reasons they are ignored! The O2 outages will probably cause them some less favourable results but who knows, they did not affect me as I was not in the UK and would not have made any difference anyway as my profile clearly states what my primary mobile network is! I will repeat I am not an O2 customer but would have no issue joining them as they have excellent coverage where I use my mobile phone and all of those I know who have O2 seem more than happy with them. I do not promote their services but do defend them as they get far too much negative comment from some well known to regulars who have been promoting another network.

Why anyone would be baited by the continual posing of the same silly opinion is questionable and on that note I am going to leave this thread as it was clearly the usual anti-O2 bait (or maybe just attention seeking) and following O2's published results looks like a damp squib rather than the sensational failure hoped for.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And the only way the anti-O2 brigade usually respond to challenges about their O2 vendetta is to post personally abusive comments.

Why anyone would be baited by the continual posing of the same silly opinion is questionable and on that note I am going to leave this thread as it was clearly the usual anti-O2 bait (or maybe just attention seeking) and following O2's published results looks like a damp squib rather than the sensational failure hoped for.

Well after posting lots of O2 promotion, now leaving the thread, rather than answering the questions that Stiggles asked regarding the outages, the 3G investment and coverage a decade since the launch of the technology and how it's now hitting revenues.

It didn't escape notice that as the forums and social networks filled up with complaints of yet another outage Wavejock was nowhere to be found, he came back to the forum a week later and hasn't commented on the outages yet even when asked directly.
    Forum Member

You bring it on yourself, though. I mean, why don't you just address the points put to you? It's not difficult.

Adopting the 'oh-well-nevermind-the-outages-as-O2-added-customers-so-therefore-they-don't-matter-and-I-can-just-avoid-it' approach doesn't get you anywhere.

The fact is that the outages were never likely to show if O2 have lost customers because of the outages anyway. Those customers could've been added at anytime, and people can't leave once locked into a contract unless they buy out, which isn't cheap.

I suspect the damage will be shown in the next set of results, in all honesty.

Apologies if I offended. That wasn't my intention, but just address the questions. I'd actually be interested in what you have to say. I'm more interested in that than the continuous O2 promotional stuff you come out with (which easily counteracts the 'anti-O2' stuff, and then some).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also the second one was outside of the range of figures, so we won't know the impact of the second one until the next report, people may have been less forgiving the second time. We'll also see the impact the LTE iPhone 5 and EE 4G launch next time too.

If Wave answered the points I think people wouldn't be so frustrated. It is nobody's intention to offend anyone.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    6 hours of no signal in Worcester today ... Obviously the cost cutting has already started
    Forum Member

It is very notable that when challenged to provide evidence for sweeping statements about the network's complaint reasons they are ignored! The O2 outages will probably cause them some less favourable results but who knows, they did not affect me as I was not in the UK and would not have made any difference anyway as my profile clearly states what my primary mobile network is! I will repeat I am not an O2 customer but would have no issue joining them as they have excellent coverage where I use my mobile phone and all of those I know who have O2 seem more than happy with them. I do not promote their services but do defend them as they get far too much negative comment from some well known to regulars who have been promoting another network.

We are all still waiting......

I shall remind you in case for the forth time, you have forgotten.

1) Worst 3G service in the UK.

2) 2 massive UK wide outages in the matter of weeks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    O2s complaints are all about their utter bollocks network, severe lack of 3g coverage and oh, the outages you still keep ignoring!!

Still waiting to see a link posted to the Ofcom complaints breakdown for the O2 network to support the statement made above.

Not holding my breath......

As previously stated this thread was a silly attempt to discredit O2 and their latest results did not deliver the bad news some thought. The press were quite positive about O2's performance which must have been a huge disappointment for the small band of O2 haters who put so much time and effort into posting negatives about the company. I'm not bothering with the obvious 'baiting' now being posted on this thread.
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Still waiting to see a link posted to the Ofcom complaints breakdown for the O2 network to support the statement made above.

As previously stated this thread was a silly attempt to discredit O2 and their latest results did not deliver the bad news some thought. The press were quite positive about O2's performance which must have been a huge disappointment for the small band of O2 haters who put so much time and effort into posting negatives about the company. I'm not bothering with the obvious 'baiting' now being posted on this thread.

You don't have to look at complaints to realise O2 has problems.

I was on a train recently, and I was standing next to an O2 iPhone user. She accepted the fact that her internet connection was slow because it was GPRS (no surprise), and didn't realise that she could do so much better elsewhere. My EE phone, of course, was displaying a romping HSPA signal.

She would not complain to O2 or Ofcom because she has no reason to.

As for "baiting", my hypocrisy meter has exploded with that statement.

I, like many others, await your statement on O2's lack of 3G coverage or the two national outages that happened recently.
    Forum Member

First of all, the numbers won't be out yet so i can't provide a link.

So, come on. 5 times now. Severe lack of 3g and massive disruption. No more added bollocks please to get out of it....
    Forum Member
    moox wrote: »
    You don't have to look at complaints to realise O2 has problems.

I was on a train recently, and I was standing next to an O2 iPhone user. She accepted the fact that her internet connection was slow because it was GPRS (no surprise), and didn't realise that she could do so much better elsewhere. My EE phone, of course, was displaying a romping HSPA signal.

She would not complain to O2 or Ofcom because she has no reason to.

As for "baiting", my hypocrisy meter has exploded with that statement.

I, like many others, await your statement on O2's lack of 3G coverage or the two national outages that happened recently.

Snap.

Going and coming home from Newcastle both me and the missus only had GPRS all the way. Well apart from Edinburgh where we had H+ which is the first time i have ever seen that on o2.

Here in Dundee we rarely get 3g. At home its GPRS all the way...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    moox wrote: »

Wave, to be fair you disappeared from the mobile forum when O2 had their last outage, you were seen in the radio forum and online, but chose not to comment at all.

Can we have some honesty and acceptance that revenues are down, the last set of results were criticised because of severe revenue drops by the press, and the outages were referred to in most articles.

If the press and the CEO can comment on these things then I don't see why you have to hide from them and refuse to comment or deflect the question by posting an Ofcom complaint charts, that's not answering the key questions.

* Is it concerning that revenues are down significantly, and down by more than the rest of the industry.

* A decade since the launch of 3G, why is it that they have the least 3G coverage at only 90%. O2 has the least data throughput of all UK networks, despite being the biggest single network by customer numbers, is this contributing to revenue loss? are they not attracting as many data customers? or less data use by their customers?

* Has the amount of outages damaged their reputation. We won't see the impact of the last one for some months, but these continued outages are a concern? no?
  • DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    Hahahaha. I love this thread.
    He's not going to admit it guys. You just as well give up!
    I think Wave could argue that black was white LOL.
    We still have O2 issues down here on certain cells.
    These only allow one way calls. Been like it for a couple of weeks. WTF?
    I pointed out to a friend of my mate that if he moved from Tesco to T-Mobile he could have unlimited calls, texts, and data on the handset for £31. But crucially he would have 3G most of the time (very rural area).
    The conversation started when he asked me why his iPhone was so slow when out and about.
    My argument is this.... A mobile is just that, a mobile, it should Work wherever you are, not just where you live.
    Of course O2 works in cities and large towns but it would also be good if it worked when you went on holiday to the Cotswolds or the rather lovely South Hams in south Devon :)
    It doesn't really matter what Wave says, it still doesn't change the fact that O2 is sh*t...
    It doesn't matter how hard he tries, you can't polish a turd.
    Forum Member
    I like EE. I like the service I pay for. It is, in my opinion, an excellent mobile network that provides consistently good 3G. Is it perfect? Well, probably not in every area ALL of the time. If things weren't right, I'd be more than happy to criticise them for not pulling their weight. I've done this in the past with regard to a broken transmitter (now fixed) in my area.

Just because I like EE, doesn't mean they're exempt from criticism, and I'm sure DevonBloke/Thine Wonk/etc. would, and have done, the same. I don't see why Wave doesn't seem to be able to offer an opinion that may be critical of O2. It just doesn't make sense.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DevonBloke wrote: »
    Hahahaha. I love this thread.
    He's not going to admit it guys. You just as well give up!
    I think Wave could argue that black was white LOL.
    We still have O2 issues down here on certain cells.
    These only allow one way calls. Been like it for a couple of weeks. WTF?
    I pointed out to a friend of my mate that if he moved from Tesco to T-Mobile he could have unlimited calls, texts, and data on the handset for £31. But crucially he would have 3G most of the time (very rural area).
    The conversation started when he asked me why his iPhone was so slow when out and about.
    My argument is this.... A mobile is just that, a mobile, it should Work wherever you are, not just where you live.
    Of course O2 works in cities and large towns but it would also be good if it worked when you went on holiday to the Cotswolds or the rather lovely South Hams in south Devon :)
    It doesn't really matter what Wave says, it still doesn't change the fact that O2 is sh*t...
    It doesn't matter how hard he tries, you can't polish a turd.

Well I live in the Cotswolds and I used to live in Plymouth, so I know South Hams and I've had some brilliant times travelling up the Devon coast, Slapton sands, Kingsbridge etc. I always wanted go to Burgh Island by sand train, but never did. Maybe something to do at some point in the future.

I have also traveled a lot and tested various sim cards for 3G streaming. I can tell you that O2 categorically doesn't have 3G service in a lot of areas, even in my current house I have to go upstairs and near the window for 3G to work on O2.

I was waiting for Wavejock to comment on the points above as I think they are fair questions, but he's clearly not going to, he'll dodge the difficult questions and just re-post the same guff time after time, Ofcom charts and 900Mhz over and over repeatedly.