Comments

• miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    adverts again!!!
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ok, i get that X-Men 2 is on later in the week ..
  • Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    MrSuper wrote: »
    I love Jessica Chastain! Amazing actress. Well done!

Daniel Day Lewis, not surprised but you couldn't pay me to go watch Lincoln.

Why?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Must laugh at twitter users who didnt know Daniel Day Lewis is English and as an 'accent'.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lincoln?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woohoo .. 2 out of 2 :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Final Gong Count

Movies
    3 Les Miserables: Best supporting actress - Anne Hathaway; Actor in a comedy or musical - Hugh Jackman; Best comedy or musical
    2 Argo: Director - Ben Affleck; Best Drama
    2 Django Unchained: Best supporting actor - Christolph Waltz; Best Screenplay - Quentin Tarantino
    1 Amour - Best Foreign Language Film
    1 Brave - Best Animated Feature
    1 Life of Pi: Original score
    1 Lincoln: Best Actor in a Drama - Daniel Day-Lewis
    1 Silver Linings Playbook: Best Actress in comedy or musical - Jennifer Lawrence
    1 Skyfall - Original song - Adele
    1 Zero Dark Thirty: Best Actress in a Drama - Jessica Chastain

TV
    3 Game Change: best mini-series or drama; best actress - Julianne Moore; Best supporting actor in a series - Ed Harris;
    3 Homeland: actor - Damien Lewis; Best TV series; Best Actress in a TV Drama - Claire Danes
    2 Girls: Best Actress in a TV comedy or musical - Lena Dunham; Best Comedy or Musical
    1 Downtown Abbey: supporting actress - Maggie Smith;
    1 Hatfields & McCoys: Best Actor - Kevin Costner
    1 House of Lies: Best Actor in comedy or musical - Don Cheadle
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh wow, Argo. Great film but I didn't expect it to take the award.
  • CaseyKleinCaseyKlein Posts: 3,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lincoln?

this is the foreign press, think it will sweep the oscars
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Argo, for me, was only really good in the last half an hour ..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's much better when one movie doesn't sweep the floor. I like the spread of the wins.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 130
    Forum Member
    glad i didn't put a bet on for Lincoln to sweep up - maybe ut will at the Oscars? Away to bed now, night all and see you for the Oscars!
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow, didn't expect that but pleasantly surprised. It's a great film but don't expect it to win at the Oscars. Affleck didn't even get nominated for Director! It has no chance.

Lincoln or Zero Dark Thirty will win that award.
  • CaseyKleinCaseyKlein Posts: 3,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Argo, for me, was only really good in the last half an hour ..

thought the opposite, they started using stupid actiony movie cliches like them chasing the plane in the jeep, etc
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NY News on now
  • linnyloulinnylou Posts: 18,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wowzer! Wasn't expecting that! Well done to Ben :D

Really pleased for Homeland & Clare & Damian.

Couple of surprises for me, but like QT, pleasant ones.
    It's much better when one movie doesn't sweep the floor. I like the spread of the wins.

Me too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CaseyKlein wrote: »
    thought the opposite, they started using stupid actiony movie cliches like them chasing the plane in the jeep, etc

it was a good film, don't get me wrong. well written and compelling, but I just didn't really get in to it until the end.

ah well .. bed now ..

first time i've ever stayed up to watch a bloody awards show .. :)
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    So Argo scooped best film (drama) and best director for Ben Affleck. Odd thing is Ben isn't even nominated for the Oscars - is that a first (wins the GG best director but isn't even nominated for the category at the Oscars?!).
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh wow, Argo. Great film but I didn't expect it to take the award.

Really pleasantly surprised to see it win actor and director. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently Jodie Foster "came out as a lesbian" last night .. I must have missed that .. :rolleyes:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/film/4742902/Jodie-Foster-comes-out-as-a-lesbian-in-Golden-Globes-speech.html
  • AerickAerick Posts: 1,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't take this as a coming out speech in that sense. She has addressed it before. She was adresssing the issue of her being in the public eye for 47 years (she's 50) beginning as a child actor. Privacy in her life was a very big issue and even though she was 'out' as she alluded to, millions of years ago (or something to that effect) to family, friends, co workers , she never felt the need to announce it from a podium, make a statement, or have a reality show in her life. It is just who she is. I was cuious about her mother, perhaps she has alzheimers from some of her words. I guess I should look it up...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    Apparently Jodie Foster "came out as a lesbian" last night .. I must have missed that .. :rolleyes:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/film/4742902/Jodie-Foster-comes-out-as-a-lesbian-in-Golden-Globes-speech.html

The writers at The Sun have obviously not been paying attention over the past couple of years, she came out publicly a few years ago.

As for the awards, while i'm pleased for Homeland, i'm not sure it really deserved to take home the big three awards this year. For me it wasn't even the best show on Showtime this year, Dexter trumped it (in my opinion) with a fantastic 7th season that ranks as one of it's best. Breaking Bad was also better (again, imo).

Pleased for Ben Affleck too, him winning the Best Director award just makes his Oscar snubbing seem even more odd.

I honestly can't believe that the god-awful Skyfall song by Adele got an award though, it's entirely believable that she apparently wrote it in ten minutes because the lyrics are atrocious, and the way she sings it with her "crumboes" and "Skyfoes" is just laughable. It didn't deserve it at all and it'll go through me if she wins again at the Oscars.
  • linnyloulinnylou Posts: 18,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CJClarke wrote: »
    The writers at The Sun have obviously not been paying attention over the past couple of years, she came out publicly a few years ago.

As for the awards, while i'm pleased for Homeland, i'm not sure it really deserved to take home the big three awards this year. For me it wasn't even the best show on Showtime this year, Dexter trumped it (in my opinion) with a fantastic 7th season that ranks as one of it's best. Breaking Bad was also better (again, imo).

Pleased for Ben Affleck too, him winning the Best Director award just makes his Oscar snubbing seem even more odd.

I honestly can't believe that the god-awful Skyfall song by Adele got an award though, it's entirely believable that she apparently wrote it in ten minutes because the lyrics are atrocious, and the way she sings it with her "crumboes" and "Skyfoes" is just laughable. It didn't deserve it at all and it'll go through me if she wins again at the Oscars.

:D

I fully expected her to win, but I must admit that after I heard it in full for the first time when I saw Skyfall, I quickly realised that it seemed a pretty mediocre song and I don't doubt for a second that she wrote it in 10 minutes.

If that song had been sung by anyone else, I'm certain it wouldn't have been nominated for any awards, and has been only on the merit of it being Adele.

Still, it's always nice to see us Brits get a few awards.
  • bbfiveneverbbfivenever Posts: 1,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I know, what sort of level of attention span do these journos have?

She clearly teases coming out along with the obsession with reality these days, before confirming she actually came out eons ago. (who did not know this?)

What a great, moving speech she made though, summed up perfectly by RDJ's "Wow!" to her afterwards.

Thought Tina Fey and Amy Poelher did a great job too.
    Sasha Baron Cohen though...

EDIT:

Also re' Adele, i thought she was singing about Skyf Holes, and thought she had asked the builders in to look at them :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also re' Adele, i thought she was singing about Skyf Holes, and thought she had asked the builders in to look at them :confused:

I remember Jon Richardson once saying something similar on 8 out of 10 Cats. He said she sounded like a pub singer singing about scaffolding :)