Food intolerances

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    Hmm maybe it's just my warped way of thinking, but food allergies to me seem like natural selection un-selecting someone, don't they?

Doubtful. Most of the stuff we shove in our food is not really intended for human consumption - in nature, I mean. Do you think natural selection considers humans drinking milk of cows, or eating things which can only be extracted with machines?

I'd imagine many people have food intolerances and they're unaware of it. Things like flatulence, bad skin and general tiredness can all be linked to food.
  • PlatinumStevePlatinumSteve Posts: 4,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doubtful. Most of the stuff we shove in our food is not really intended for human consumption - in nature, I mean. Do you think natural selection considers humans drinking milk of cows, or eating things which can only be extracted with machines?

I'd imagine many people have food intolerances and they're unaware of it. Things like flatulence, bad skin and general tiredness can all be linked to food.

So anaphylaxis due to peanut, nut, fish, or egg is because we're not intended to be eating that? Or how about celiac disease and its symptoms from eating wheat, are we not intended to be eating that either? Man needs very few things to truly survive sustenance through ingestion because he cannot produce energy via photosynthesis, hydration, and oxygen, those are the bare bones, a food allergy which could cause death in minutes seems to me, to be Natural Selection weeding out that individual, why wouldn't it be? Man has evolved for thousands if not millions of years learning and passing on what is nutritious and non-toxic and what is not, and now be it genetically inherited, mutated, or environmental, a portion of the population can perish simply by fulfilling one of the requirements to live? I'm not a scientist, but if we have ever seen Natural Selection taking place in real time, food allergies seem to me to be a perfect example.
  • Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Apparently unlike cow's milk, the chemical structure of goats milk is almost identical to breast milk, which is why it's often recommended for infants who can't handle milk. I was sick of having an upset and painful stomach for years and nothing helped, until I was told by a respected nutritionist, I had an intolerance to cow's milk. Within 2 days, later I was like a different person, haziness gone, stomach fabulous and calm.

As if to "test" it - one week later, desperate for a cup of tea at a workshop, I thought - ahhh surely a tiny splash of cow's milk can't hurt? My new peaceful tum didn't like it one bit! Within 5 minutes - audience all sitting quietly listening intently......truuuuump! (You know the high pitched, plastic seat kind, that escape without your permission?) :p Cue front row turning round and me with my best poker face! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm maybe it's just my warped way of thinking, but food allergies to me seem like natural selection un-selecting someone, don't they?

What, like cancer or something?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    So anaphylaxis due to peanut, nut, fish, or egg is because we're not intended to be eating that? Or how about celiac disease and its symptoms from eating wheat, are we not intended to be eating that either? Man needs very few things to truly survive sustenance through ingestion because he cannot produce energy via photosynthesis, hydration, and oxygen, those are the bare bones, a food allergy which could cause death in minutes seems to me, to be Natural Selection weeding out that individual, why wouldn't it be? Man has evolved for thousands if not millions of years learning and passing on what is nutritious and non-toxic and what is not, and now be it genetically inherited, mutated, or environmental, a portion of the population can perish simply by fulfilling one of the requirements to live? I'm not a scientist, but if we have ever seen Natural Selection taking place in real time, food allergies seem to me to be a perfect example.

Well, since there's no gene to link food allergies to genetics then that's out of the window. Plus, after tens of thousands of years, surely all these "lesser" species of human should be dead by now?

Nuts are one of the most common food allergies on Earth. Pulses, like beans, are poisonous to most people - if not all - if they're not cooked first.

I'm pretty sure we never evolved to be able to manage chicken periods.

Fish, I don't know... fish have funny proteins in them which some people can't work with properly.

Wheat is also a common allergy. I doubt our ancestors - back when we evolved into humans - farmed wheat and ate it. We're over 200,000 thousand years old and wheat links back to around 9000 years ago when ancient civilisations cultivated it.

Humans would probably have scavenged for meat and fruit, eventually hunting and collecting such food.

Dogs can die eating grapes or raisins. They're doing OK in the world.

It's not natural selection, just funny human chemistry. Most people probably suffer from some kind of allergy but others just show more symptoms of it.

We could probably just live off meet anyway... perhaps we'd need the occasional but of fruit for the mineral requirements.