Options

Esmee Denters on this weekend

124»

Comments

• Options
    JenzenJenzen Posts: 7,364
    Forum Member
    I think she was confident, not so much arrogant, and it's easy enough for a joking remark to come across wrongly (the show is also edited, so who knows what else was said). That said her voice left me completely cold, technically fine, but did nothing for me personally and I wouldn't have turned.

Same for me. She did appear a bit arrogant but we only see a cut down edited version of everything, it might have been out of context so I would give her the benefit of the doubt.

Her voice did nothing for me though, too many other singers sound the same, but she was technically good.
  • Options
    Rose*~*Rose*~* Posts: 7,008
    Forum Member
    Arrogance has always been a problem with Esmee, but then, she literally went from singing in her bedroom to signing a record deal with Justin Timberlake and being moved to the US where everyone was kissing her arse because she was 'the next big thing'.

She never got to deal with rejection like other artists do, from working their behind off singing in pubs and clubs, auditioning and trying desperately to getting some airplay. She went straight to the top, without being able to test the waters anywhere other than Youtube.

It makes me wonder what she's been trying to get her career going again. Her VT mentioned her working in an ice cream shop, but, without watching it again, I don't recall her saying anything about working on new material or performing here, there, and everywhere, desperate to get back what she once had. Sounds to me like she's waiting for her next fairytale, rather than wanting to put the time in.

I hope Will.i.am will tell her to take the attitude down a notch or two, as that will not sit well with the voting audience, and to understand that 'the girl from Youtube who made it big' is a story from another lifetime. She needs to work to get that back.
  • Options
    jerefprdterrajerefprdterra Posts: 30,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good to see her in the top 30 in the Itunes chart.
  • Options
    TreyCTreyC Posts: 707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She was the one I was looking forward to the most as she's relatively big and still a bit relevant.... Her attitude absolutely stunk, she crossed the line of being playful and humorous, to just plain big headed and egotistic. It was embarrassing to watch.
  • Options
    mrs.deschanelmrs.deschanel Posts: 3,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Kim PKim P Posts: 1,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She didn't come across as arrogant to me at all, she seemed to have a typical Dutch sense of humour and manner.
  • Options
    konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    As someone who's pet hate is arrogance, I genuinely don't think she was in any way arrogant? :confused: Ricky's 'pitch' was incredibly embarrassing and cringe-worthy and I think Ms Denters dealt with such an embarrassing episode very well. Weird reactions on here imo.
  • Options
    jerefprdterrajerefprdterra Posts: 30,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »
    As someone who's pet hate is arrogance, I genuinely don't think she was in any way arrogant? :confused: Ricky's 'pitch' was incredibly embarrassing and cringe-worthy and I think Ms Denters dealt with such an embarrassing episode very well. Weird reactions on here imo.

Agree with this. It was'nt very professional of Ricky to come out with such comments. He was supposed to be judging her on her performance, and not trying to chat her up.
  • Options
    mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    if someone is good enough I have no problem with them coming across as a bit arrogant

she was nowhere near good enough to do so
  • Options
    ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's not arrogant though, she's just got a Dutch sense of humour. I knew her a few years back before she signed with Justin Timberlake's label, and I alwyas found her to be very grounded.
  • Options
    LewnaticcLewnaticc Posts: 3,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of people on here seem to have an odd perception of arrogance. Also, she was once signed to a major label, so she knows what to expect. I'd rather someone appear confident than overly bashful. You know, like 90% of reality singing show contestants do because they're not used to the industry.
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't care about her "arrogance."
    I care that she is just a clone of so many other similar singers ..... slow song, lots of vocal tricks, overlaid in-yer-face emotion.
    There are already more than enough of them.
  • Options
    drakhendrakhen Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of these comments smack of a confident young woman being branded as arrogant. It was the same thing with that girl with the glasses in Tom's category last year.
  • Options
    SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think she was arrogant. It's just that having already had a music career, she wasn't fazed by what she was doing.
  • Options
    Xfactor_VoiceGuXfactor_VoiceGu Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    Rose*~* wrote: »
    Arrogance has always been a problem with Esmee, but then, she literally went from singing in her bedroom to signing a record deal with Justin Timberlake and being moved to the US where everyone was kissing her arse because she was 'the next big thing'.

She never got to deal with rejection like other artists do, from working their behind off singing in pubs and clubs, auditioning and trying desperately to getting some airplay. She went straight to the top, without being able to test the waters anywhere other than Youtube.

It makes me wonder what she's been trying to get her career going again. Her VT mentioned her working in an ice cream shop, but, without watching it again, I don't recall her saying anything about working on new material or performing here, there, and everywhere, desperate to get back what she once had. Sounds to me like she's waiting for her next fairytale, rather than wanting to put the time in.

I hope Will.i.am will tell her to take the attitude down a notch or two, as that will not sit well with the voting audience, and to understand that 'the girl from Youtube who made it big' is a story from another lifetime. She needs to work to get that back.

If you actually took notice or knew her or did a little research you'd find out that she independently released a single within the past 2 months and has been performing at YouTube conventions and gigging for the past year :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    She's not arrogant though, she's just got a Dutch sense of humour. I knew her a few years back before she signed with Justin Timberlake's label, and I alwyas found her to be very grounded.

It has nothing to do with having 'a Dutch sense of humour'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If you actually took notice or knew her or did a little research you'd find out that she independently released a single within the past 2 months and has been performing at YouTube conventions and gigging for the past year :)

Like I said, I did not remember her saying much about that in her VT and was wondering what she had been doing with herself. Youtube conventions and gigging for a year eh? Wow... Yeah, not impressed.

Call me cynical, but it makes me wonder what came first, her gigging and doing those conventions or signing up for The Voice auditions?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Like I said, I did not remember her saying much about that in her VT and was wondering what she had been doing with herself. Youtube conventions and gigging for a year eh? Wow... Yeah, not impressed.

Call me cynical, but it makes me wonder what came first, her gigging and doing those conventions or signing up for The Voice auditions?

And also released a single? Yes, I said that that's all she's been doing for the past year... She's been doing music ever since she was dropped and before so it's out of the question whether she was doing it before signing for the voice or not which she was probably scouted for. You are cynical. Try being unimpressed when you've acheived what she has. And she's only recently released the single probably so it gets a bit of exposure when she's on the voice which there is nothing wrong with.

You're so negative, even if she did get dropped atleast she didn't fall into depression and start taking drugs which most pop stars do when they have that happen or most people are dropped for taking drugs. She was dropped due to just not selling enough in which case could cause self-esteem issues, anxiety or even depression which there's nothing to be ashamed of and all of these could be good enough excuses not to continue making music but point is, she has always been musically creative and productive and has been making music non-stop since she first had success

She has been doing youtube conventions and video's ever since she was dropped
  • Options
    ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It has nothing to do with having 'a Dutch sense of humour'.

If you say so, but having been to Holland, and having met a fair few Dutch people they share that sort of jokey humour.

Regardless, she was not, and is not arrogant.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If you say so, but having been to Holland, and having met a fair few Dutch people they share that sort of jokey humour.

I didn't even think it was Dutch humour, I'm pretty sure everyone jokes the way she did with Ricky... That's normal behaviour.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I am Dutch, living in the UK, and a lot of Dutch people I know who watch The Voice UK also thought she came across as arrogant, which is what we've seen from her in the past.
    So no, nothing to do with 'Dutch humour'.
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Esmee Denters" sounds like a fabulous drag name
  • Options
    MrsWatermelonMrsWatermelon Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really liked her, both when she was in the charts and now on the Voice. I also really liked Alys a few years ago, who lots of other people said was arrogant. But I don't have a problem with confident women.
  • Options
    Thom001Thom001 Posts: 939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I watching The Voice on iplayer, she didn't come across to me as arrogant.

I reckon she will be a favourite, it might be a "bit" too early to say this, but you never know :)
  • Options
    MonaoggMonaogg Posts: 19,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just makes it much harder for anyone else on Will's team.