Tottenham Hotspur Supporters Thread (Part 12)

Comments

• knickerlesscageknickerlesscage Posts: 1,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd presume Paulinho may have lost value. Chadli may have increased with the goals he has scored this season.
  • Knarf44Knarf44 Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just seen an official Leicester City tweet wishing their Head of Technical Scouting, Rob MacKenzie, good luck with his new appointment at Tottenham.

I'm guessing he's being brought in to work alongside Paul Mitchell in analysing and then scouting the no doubt numerous targets we have for the summer window. Makes me happy that we seem to at last be getting our scouting system sorted out for the next few years and we will be targeting specific needs rather than relying on Levy's shotgun approach of regularly dipping in to the bargain bin.

I also hope that Levy adopts a hands off approach towards transfers and allows those he's appointed to do their jobs. His role should be to simply tell them how much they can spend and then sign the cheques as and when required.
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do wonder with 'Technical Scouting' if they actually ever go to see players play live? An ex-pro (I forget who) was moaning in the press this week that clubs tend to do a lot of scouting by DVD.

Still I'm pleased we are improving all areas of the club with our world class training facilities, head hunted scouting team and eventually new stadium. I've said before that in terms of new players (re. shotgun approach) it has to be more about quality rather than quantity if we are ever to become a regular top 4 team.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read that about Rob MacKenzie. Hopefully it'll be confirmed by the club sooner rather than later as it certainly does bode well for this summer's potential transfer activity.
  • dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    I'd presume Paulinho may have lost value. Chadli may have increased with the goals he has scored this season.

I was keeping an eye on Paulinho yesterday and he offered a lot,he's worth perservering with as his field coverage and fitness is top notch.

The problem is we have am army of central midfielders and someone has to go and his fee complicates things.

Lamela was good, he kept it simple, wasn't trying to beat and pass all the players in front of him and was positionaly very disciplined. I think he's bulked up a little too.

It's starting to come together for him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Southampton's loss today makes things interesting in the top half of the table.

Obviously still a long way to go, but 3 points between 3rd to 6th position keeps things interesting. If the football gods are smiling on us again next weekend and we're lucky enough to nick a win in the NLD, I think you could certainly not rule us out as outside contenders for the top 4.

Mirror reporting that Winston Reid will join us in the summer apparently ..

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/west-ham-defender-winston-reid-5087232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dosanjh1 wrote: »
    I was keeping an eye on Paulinho yesterday and he offered a lot,he's worth perservering with as his field coverage and fitness is top notch.

The problem is we have am army of central midfielders and someone has to go and his fee complicates things...
    With both Paulinho and Dembele I think Poch was clever in that he played them in positions to exploit their strengths. Paulinho as you say has a good engine and in a more withdrawn midfield role was used to good effect to close the oppostion down and break up their attacks. Dembele's strength in dribbling was used in the middle of the three behind Kane to carry the ball forward and go past one or two players then lay it off to either Lamela, Kane or Eriksen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...Mirror reporting that Winston Reid will join us in the summer apparently ..

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/west-ham-defender-winston-reid-5087232
    I suppose it solves one problem cheaply if we are to off-load Chiriches and possibly Kaboul. He is a decent CB but I don't know if he is quite the top notch quality that we really need.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    I suppose it solves one problem cheaply if we are to off-load Chiriches and possibly Kaboul. He is a decent CB but I don't know if he is quite the top notch quality that we really need.

Yeah I imagine if the story is true, he'd likely come in as a second tier behind Vertonghen and Fazio. It would likely be Reid and Dier, which is a weirdly random palindrome :), as the backup CB pairing.

Can't see many incoming deals today unless there are a few surprises in store - been reading about a possible deal involving Lennon plus cash for Mirallas and Dele Alli also signing but I honestly think we'll see more outgoings than incomings today.

Mirror reporting we've accepted a bid from QPR for Ade but i'd be surprised if we let him go, regardless of his status in the squad, as we'd only have Kane and Soldado for the remainder of the season - although, as you said a couple of pages ago, we'd hardly miss Ade considering how little he's contributed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kane has signed a new five and a half year contract.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kane has signed a new five and a half year contract.

Just read this - good news and certainly deserved. shrewd move by the club as well as he'll certainly skyrocket in value if he keeps banging in 15-20 goals a season.
  • Andy-BAndy-B Posts: 6,800
    Forum Member

Mirror reporting we've accepted a bid from QPR for Ade ...

In the name of all things merciful, please let this be true.

Can there be a more stark contrast - in terms of attitude - in football than that between Hatstand and Harry Kane?
  • Andy-BAndy-B Posts: 6,800
    Forum Member
    Just read this - good news and certainly deserved. shrewd move by the club as well as he'll certainly skyrocket in value if he keeps banging in 15-20 goals a season.

Well, you normally get one free go at good premiership defences before they work you out as best they can. John Terry and co will now have done proper homework, it'll be hugely interesting to see how Harry Kane does is his second season...
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    Andy-B wrote: »
    In the name of all things merciful, please let this be true.

Can there be a more stark contrast - in terms of attitude - in football than that between Hatstand and Harry Kane?

Also seen a report saying he doesn't want to go :(
  • PeePee Posts: 8,154
    Forum Member
    is Lennon gone yet?
  • Knarf44Knarf44 Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems Hull are no longer interested in Lennon but Leicester and Stoke may be with QPR as an outside bet.

Personally, I think both he and Adebayor may end up rejecting all the deals offered as they seem quite happy simply to pick up their salary each month. Both know that they will never play for a top Club again and never earn what they are on now but then you get what you deserve in life.

Just read that apparently Dele Alli is at Hotspur Way posing for photos. Good buy if true ;)

For those who haven't put 2+2 together, Paul Mitchell before working for Soton was previously Head of Player Recruitment at MK Dons.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy-B wrote: »
    Well, you normally get one free go at good premiership defences before they work you out as best they can. John Terry and co will now have done proper homework, it'll be hugely interesting to see how Harry Kane does is his second season...

That's very true. Even Andy Cole "only" scored 15 goals in 27 appearances in his second season with Newcastle after scoring 41 in 46 in his first in the Premiership.

And I agree about the Hatstand as well with regards to attitude. Sure, he seems fairly happy when he's out on the pitch but then I guess anyone would be if they're picking up £100k a week for basically doing bugger all.

You'd think he'd want the move to QPR so he can raise his profile again and secure another big money move abroad.

Darren Lewis from The Mirror has just tweeted that the Spammers have made a move to take Ade on loan ..

https://twitter.com/MirrorDarren
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    Knarf44 wrote: »
    Seems Hull are no longer interested in Lennon but Leicester and Stoke may be with QPR as an outside bet.

Personally, I think both he and Adebayor may end up rejecting all the deals offered as they seem quite happy simply to pick up their salary each month. Both know that they will never play for a top Club again and never earn what they are on now but then you get what you deserve in life.

Just read that apparently Dele Alli is at Hotspur Way posing for photos. Good buy if true ;)

For those who haven't put 2+2 together, Paul Mitchell before working for Soton was previously Head of Player Recruitment at MK Dons.

Pleased about that, very promising from what I've heard about him
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently Adebayor has a medical booked at a London hospital, with around 6 clubs in for him.

Fingers crossed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently Adebayor has a medical booked at a London hospital, with around 6 clubs in for him.

Fingers crossed.

Really ?. Please football gods make this true :D

If we can get rid of Lennon and the Hatstand on the same day as securing Kane to a new deal, it'll be a good day ..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really ?. Please football gods make this true :D

If we can get rid of Lennon and the Hatstand on the same day as securing Kane to a new deal, it'll be a good day ..

I think its more of us covering our bases and just getting a medical signed off so that if anything is agreed neither he or the other club have time to change their minds :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think its more of us covering our bases and just getting a medical signed off so that if anything is agreed neither he or the other club have time to change their minds :D

I can see the sense i suppose. If there are, apparently, half a dozen clubs in for him then getting a medical done will make the decision easier and faster - you'd hope that the very fact he's supposedly got a medical booked could potentially mean he'll go today.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't get over excited as we may get Ade and Lennon back at the end of the season if they are only loaned!

So Dele Alli and Winston Reid may be our only incomings and they won't be here until the end of the season. :(
  • PeePee Posts: 8,154
    Forum Member
    it's funny how, even with an absolutely shocking season (12/13) and another (13/14) in which he only played about half the games, the so-called hatstand has an almost identical goals-to-game ratio to so-called "club legend" Jermaine Defoe, as well as being our top scorer in two of his seasons here. I'm by no means suggesting he's been a runaway success for us, but there's just no way he's been anywhere near as bad as is being made out, both in here and amongst our wider support. this herd-mentality witch-hunt is pretty silly IMOHO.

Is Lennon gone yet?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm getting more excited about rumoured outgoings than signings at the moment! Simply because outgoings will help us with some quality summer signings.

Latest twitter rumours - Kaboul potentially to West Ham and Capoue may also leave, albeit maybe a loan.
This discussion has been closed.