Options

51% of People in the UK identify as "single"

JasonJason Posts: 76,557
Forum Member
✭✭✭
(And most of them post in GD :D)

This is quite interesting ..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-magazine-monitor-31461595
So what proportion of the population is single if you don't count cohabiting as being single? According to this report, there were estimated to be 5.9 million people cohabiting in the UK in 2012, which was 11.7% of the population over 16.

That had risen from 6.5% in 1996, making it the fastest growing type of family in the UK.

So, if you're counting all people who have never been married, or who are divorced or widowed, as being single, then that has indeed risen above 50% for the first time. If you consider cohabiting couples not to be single then it's well below 40%.

There's an interactive map here so you can see the percentage of singletons in your area. Clearly a handy dating tool :)

http://visual.ons.gov.uk/where-do-single-people-live-in-england-and-wales/

Comments

• Options
    RubricalRubrical Posts: 2,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know it's petty but it would be nice if they included Scotland :blush:
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And all of us discriminated against with extra charges for almost everything :mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rubrical wrote: »

And Northern Ireland :(
  • Options
    RubricalRubrical Posts: 2,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Feel your pain!
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's unmarried, not single.
  • Options
    shaddlershaddler Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Currently single, can't imagine that changing what with being a hermit :D Only around 10% of people in my age group are single in my local area.
  • Options
    itscoldoutsideitscoldoutside Posts: 3,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where are they all?, I can't get a girlfriend but I think thats because of me.

I think single people will become more common just like in Japan where they sleep with Nintendo DS consoles rather than a real person and never get a real partner. In a few years I think that will start to happen here with the new generations as they spend the whole time in their rooms and do not go out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where are they all?, I can't get a girlfriend but I think thats because of me.

I think single people will become more common just like in Japan where they sleep with Nintendo DS consoles rather than a real person and never get a real partner. In a few years I think that will start to happen here with the new generations as they spend the whole time in their rooms and do not go out.

I can't either and I know it's because of me.

Of course, the fact that I don't like to go out to grotty, smelly meat market nightclubs (the only option around here) doesn't help.
  • Options
    itscoldoutsideitscoldoutside Posts: 3,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't either and I know it's because of me.

Of course, the fact that I don't like to go out to grotty, smelly meat market nightclubs (the only option around here) doesn't help.

Its pointless going out to a club to meet a girl if you don't like clubs, I don't either I have been there, done all that clubbing and did not like it at all, and I would not go with a girl in that state.

All clubs are grotty really, some just look better than others and don't have sticky floors.

It depends what you want from a girlfriend as well, do you want to find a long term partner or just a girlfriend and that is it. I have given up on finding one, all girls seem to look at me with disgust as if I were a murderer or something, maybe I look like one.:cool:

The only time girls had interest in me was in college, and I did not take up the offers as I thought I did not want a full relationship, a fatal mistake.:cry:

If you could meet girls I bet you would eventually get a girlfriend, but its meeting them which is the problem for me at least.
  • Options
    JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, I'm in the majority now :), but I doubt if it will stop some people either feeling sorry for me or thinking that I'm odd for being single. :(

Looking at that interactive map, it's interesting that the highest concentration of single people always seems to be in towns and cities, especially the central areas.
  • Options
    tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Six single men for every single woman in one part around where I live! :o

The data also confirms what was already stated by Edinburgh University and the ONS - single men outnumber single women in the UK across all the age ranges in the data gathered from the 2011 census.
  • Options
    pope_tartpope_tart Posts: 3,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

not petty at all...i'm just surprised that Wales was included for once......bloody anglocentrism >:(
  • Options
    Dr. ClawDr. Claw Posts: 7,375
    Forum Member
    cohabiting is considered being single? not sure about that one :kitty:
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Quite common - it's because of who controls the data the report is based on. So the authors only had access to the England/Wales set and would have had to make requests to the Scottish & NI governments for their data
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Six single men for every single woman in one part around where I live! :o

The data also confirms what was already stated by Edinburgh University and the ONS - single men outnumber single women in the UK across all the age ranges in the data gathered from the 2011 census.

I remember reading that there's a similar problem in china but the ratio of single men to women is far, far worse and that it was causing chinese men to go to ever increasing extremes to try and find a partner because of a perceived pressure to get married and start a family.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was shocked to see that the people living in Wolverhampton University's houses of residence are single.
  • Options
    John_DarylJohn_Daryl Posts: 652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dr. Claw wrote: »

That basically makes the WHOLE survey a complete farce and non valid really.
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But then there are another three million cohabiting couples, who would be counted in last year's figures as single.

What is the point of compiling such data if it is going to be so fundamentally flawed??? :o
  • Options
    JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dr. Claw wrote: »
    John_Daryl wrote: »
    That basically makes the WHOLE survey a complete farce and non valid really.
    What is the point of compiling such data if it is going to be so fundamentally flawed??? :o

It says in the article:
    It does seem very high, but that is because the definition of "single" is people who are not married, including many people whose Facebook statuses would say they were "in a relationship".

Not sure where they got the definition of "single" from, as it doesn't match the definitions in the dictionaries I've checked.
  • Options
    kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member
    It says in the article:

Not sure where they got the definition of "single" from, as it doesn't match the definitions in the dictionaries I've checked.

On a lot of forms and applications the options are married or single.

In those circumstances I am single but it can't be used to give a true reflection of my status.
  • Options
    trinity2002trinity2002 Posts: 16,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't live with my boyfriend, he lives about 600 doors up the road from me. I don't class myself as single but according to the above link and online forms etc that's the only option I can go for.
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's all a bit inaccurate - not only does cohabiting not count as 'in a relationship', but if you've EVER been married you are not considered single either.

That's me and my Mother, divorced and widowed still in relationships then:confused:

If I've read that correctly.
  • Options
    tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Government has always considered anyone not married as single - co-habiting couples make up 5.3 million of the 15.7 million single people in the 2011 census (source). And of course, it doesn't account at all for people in relationships who live apart as many younger adults living with parents will do which you don't get asked for on the census form.

But there's no other official source of information that can come close to the ONS in terms of such data from what I can see. Maybe one to address for the 2021 census.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    I know someone I went to school with who has been with her boyfriend since she was 16 they have lived together since she only just turned 18 and they have 3 kids together but according to that they both would be single since they never got married.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know someone I went to school with who has been with her boyfriend since she was 16 they have lived together since she only just turned 18 and they have 3 kids together but according to that they both would be single since they never got married.

I've been with my partner since 1990 and don't consider myself single in any way, shape or form but apparently I am according to this