Do you actually know any Muslims?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,787
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I know loads. Due to the fact that I went out with a Muslim Pakistani girl for ten years. I met her Muslim friends, Family, cousins etc during that time. None of them ever expressed extremist views. They were the most friendly people I have ever met. They reminded me of cousins of my mother who are all from South Wales. The vast majority of them are wonderful.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But if you married her, you had to convert?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes. I did. I went to a Mosque with her. It was only for her sake. Her family disowned her because I wasn't a Muslim. It was surprisingly quick and easy. I felt guilty because I'm an Athiest. But I did it because I was heartbroken at seeing her cry a lot because her mum wouldn't talk to her. I felt even worse because the guys at the Mosque were so nice.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fender101 wrote: »
    I know loads. Due to the fact that I went out with a Muslim Pakistani girl for ten years. I met her Muslim friends, Family, cousins etc during that time. None of them ever expressed extremist views. They were the most friendly people I have ever met. They reminded me of cousins of my mother who are all from South Wales. The vast majority of them are wonderful.

I wouldn't say the "vast majority" are wonderful, they are human after all. Some are decent some are ar$eholes, in pretty much the same proportion as any other race, creed or colour.
  • LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    So they were the friendliest people you'd ever met, yet they disowned their own daughter?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I do several infact and the ones I know are decent people, there is a danger that all Muslims are going to be tarred with the same brush because of incidents what happened Wednesday and that is not fair.

Not all Muslims are terrorists and not all Muslims support these evil acts.

The rise of the right in this country should be a concern for us all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 765
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to work with a few Muslim girls, always had a lot of laughs with them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have Muslim friends. None of them are even 1% extremist. One of them is concerned about her son being angry at the UK government. The main feature of Muslim families I know is their disconcerting emphasis on hospitality. Whereas those of us whose UK ancestry goes back to Ethelred the Unready might offer visitors a biscuit, they seem to think it part of being a good host to offer something approaching a feast. I'm not sure they don't do it to people who have come to read the meter.
  • SilvioDanteSilvioDante Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rarer than hen's teeth up here in scotchland, they are.
  • dawnrayddawnrayd Posts: 6,746
    Forum Member

Bucket loads of them down here.
  • HaloJoeHaloJoe Posts: 13,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't really, no. I went to primary school with a couple, both boys, both cool.

A newsagents 2 mins from me is owned by muslims and they seem nice enough.

I'm all for diversity, i wouldn't discriminate against anyone, any colour, any religion.
  • Dub2Dub2 Posts: 2,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I`ve always found Muslim people to be exactly the same as everyone else, but with a bit of added old school values and basic manners.

But then i`ve always treated people the same way i would like to be treated myself, and have rarely had issues with any group of people.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So they were the friendliest people you'd ever met, yet they disowned their own daughter?

yes. Hard to understand isn't it? It's a cultural thing. It's to do with family pride. I don't get it myself. It took me two years to say oh FFS, had enough of this, lets just go and get married Islamically. I only did it so her parents would accept her back. But then I met them and they were really nice people.

All her friends and cousins accepted me from the start, even her sister.

But you have to bare in mind, her parents were first generation Pakistanis. They didn't come here having grown up with Western values.
  • DomJollyDomJolly Posts: 1,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The family across the road and they are lovely, ive borrowed their lawnmower a couple of times, they are alright by me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not at all, especially in Glasgow.
    Forum Member
    River 07 wrote: »
    Not at all, especially in Glasgow.

That's true, there are tons of them up that way now, and I spotted increasing numbers in Edinburgh too while there over last Christmas.
  • thedarklord _thedarklord _ Posts: 565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know many muslims considering the fact that I live in a muslim family :D

I have to say it's a shame that it's taken the action of a minority of despicable people to vilify an entire religion :(

My dad tells me it's not that different to the days when the IRA were prominent. I think many Irish people living in Britain had to suffer similar levels of backlash.
  • DomJollyDomJolly Posts: 1,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

My mate who is Jewish although not practising, fell in love with this girl who's dad was Egyptian and Christian. He had to convert and get baptized, the whole 9 yards, he still doesn't believe in it, but that's the price of love. Otherwise the dad would not have given his blessing or his financial backing lol.
    Forum Member
    My dad tells me it's not that different to the days when the IRA were prominent. I think many Irish people living in Britain had to suffer similar levels of backlash.

That's true to an extent. However now the terror and bombings have subsided, I think the Irish and English have a much better relationship. I suspect the same kind of thing would happen globally if the rise of Islamic terror attacks also subsided.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have to say it's a shame that it's taken the action of a minority of despicable people to vilify an entire religion :(

well there is one difference. During the days of the IRA, they called it IRA terrorism, not Catholic Terrorism. Now they call it Islamic Terrorism.
  • Dr. ClawDr. Claw Posts: 7,375
    Forum Member
    Yes. I did. I went to a Mosque with her. It was only for her sake. Her family disowned her because I wasn't a Muslim. It was surprisingly quick and easy. I felt guilty because I'm an Athiest. But I did it because I was heartbroken at seeing her cry a lot because her mum wouldn't talk to her. I felt even worse because the guys at the Mosque were so nice.

ok that seems kinda odd to me but whatever. i mean are you a fully practicing and devout muslim now all of a sudden? what are your opinions on atheists now that you converted? and why would you allow anyone to change your beliefs just like that? whats the point in believing in anything for one just to change it all just because the prettiest girl happened to come along into one's life?

hope you dont mind me asking this, just that you kinda put it all out there.
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't know. Asking someone about their religion isn't something I do.
    Forum Member
    well there is one difference. During the days of the IRA, they called it IRA terrorism, not Catholic Terrorism. Now they call it Islamic Terrorism.

That's because it wasn't Catholic terrorism. They were nationalists fighting for the reunification of Ulster and the Republic of Ireland, some of who were not even religious. The IRA wasn't trying to murder people because they were not Catholic.
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wonderful people don't disown their children for fancying someone.
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A Muslim family moved in to a house opposite where I used to live. It was only a small close (seven houses) and I was the only neighbour who spoke with them. One of the brothers used to work for a Hi-Fi dealer and got me a really good deal on a Technics set up. 25 years on and its still going strong!

There was a big wedding once with one of the family members and 'Sam' (never knew his Muslim name!) came round after the wedding with platters full of various Indian foods they'd had at the reception.

Even though the other neighbours never had anything to do with them he made sure everyone had a platter of food.

Decent folks and good neighbours.
  • Dub2Dub2 Posts: 2,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The Irish were treated like vermin in the days the British army were murdering people in northern Ireland. My father was in the RAF, his father managed to fight for Britain in two world wars, yet he was still refused access to a hotels and jobs in the 1970`s because he was Irish.

Unbelievable days.