Kelly Clarkson - Piece By Piece (Album Thread)

Comments

• IsThisHappinessIsThisHappiness Posts: 7,580
    Forum Member
    Run Run Run is by far the best.

Heartbeat Song is awful.
    Invincible is brilliant.
    Piece by Piece is bland.
    Run Run Run is easily single material.

Shaping up to be a bit of a mixed album.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    Only two more days until the album is out in Ireland and I can't wait. I was a bit nervous after hearing Heartbeat Song, I like the song but I find it to be sticking to the same formula as the last albums and I want something a bit different from Kelly. But after hearing the three songs released so far, I'm not worried any longer! They're all great songs.

Both Invicible and Run Run Run really show off Kelly's vocal ability. Whistle notes in Invicible and power and her harmonies in Run Run Run are great.

Piece by Piece shows off just how good of a writer she is too. It's the sequel to Because of You in story terms and it's a softer vocal tone for her as well.

Overall I think this is shaping up to be one of Kelly's best album to date.
  • MiyagiMiyagi Posts: 653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LOVING Run run run, not fussed about any of the others so far. Can't wait to get the whole album tho!
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another day, another new song. Let Your Tears Fall. Listened to the beginning this morning - first verse and chorus - and it's another cracker in my opinion.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Listening the leak
    Rather good so far. Just a typical KC album.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So impressed with this album. Early favourites from the ones I hadn't heard before are Second Wind, Tightrope, Nostalgic, Someone and I Had A Dream. I love that it's just a pure pop album, but has some throw-back sounds, like Bad Reputation. Love the different sound on Take You High. I'm not usually a fan of songs like that, but Kelly makes it work for me.
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having just heard the album - it's awesome, my favourites immediately off the bat are Someone and Take You High. Surely both future singles?
  • Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shelleyj89 wrote: »
    So impressed with this album. Early favourites from the ones I hadn't heard before are Second Wind, Tightrope, Nostalgic, Someone and I Had A Dream. I love that it's just a pure pop album, but has some throw-back sounds, like Bad Reputation. Love the different sound on Take You High. I'm not usually a fan of songs like that, but Kelly makes it work for me.

Yes, I really like it. People complain about her repeating the same pop/rock sound. But I think she did change it up a little. There are some dance leaning stuff. And a lot of nice ballads, not the usual pop/rock angry songs about men are bad. And some 80's power ballad throwbacks.
  • RobertfitzRobertfitz Posts: 2,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it just me or does Someone feels like it should have a final chorus with a vocal climax?
  • LMLM Posts: 63,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bit of a mixed bag for me. There are some major changes in production that Kelly has never before which I am impressed about. But i feel this is an album I enjoy by cherry picking, not as a whole album. I am not sure. Need more listens. She needs to change some of the subjects in her songs though. Quite a few songs about being strong and being true to yourself, which eventually what was the theme of her Stronger album so the songs wouldn't feel entirely out of place on that album.
  • cashloot147cashloot147 Posts: 609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Listened to 'Piece by Piece' properly this morning, one of those songs which breaks your heart and lifts you up at the same time. She really is a great songwriter.
  • evkylemeatsixevkylemeatsix Posts: 192
    Forum Member
    Run Run Run is simply stunning
  • KriskikiKriskiki Posts: 430
    Forum Member
    I think this is one of her best albums as a whole. It's quite easy to listen to it from start to end. I feel her vocals sound a lot clearer. Greg does a really good job producing her. RRR is definitely a highlight. Her vocals are amazing.
  • MiyagiMiyagi Posts: 653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I usually find that KC's albums require a good few listens before some of the standout tracks start to appear. This morning at first listen I loved Run, run, run and liked Heartbeat, but little else. Now, I also Love, love, love the following:

* In the blue
    * Good goes the bye
    * Piece by piece
    * Let your tears fall
    * Dance with me

Thumbs up!
  • guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    It's a great album, the only misstep for me is I Had A Dream (well that and the awful album cover,) the concept is good I just find some of lyrics a bit misguided and it's all a bit too, as Michael Cragg puts it, Jessie J-esque. I'd put it above her past two albums (excluding the wonderful Christmas album), will have to listen to all of her albums again to rank it properly, although nothing will top My December for me.

Nostalgic is the stand out track for me and needs to a single, with Piece by Piece (which has really grown on me, I think I really misjudged it on first listen) and Invincible not far behind. War Paint and Bad Reputation are up there as well. My stand out tracks usually change after a good few listens, but I can see my opinions on Nostalgic and Piece by Piece changing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shelleyj89 wrote: »

Further to this, I've had I Had A Dream on repeat all weekend. A proper anthem.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 273
    Forum Member
    After hearing the album a few more times, I would say the order of albums in terms of rankings would go

Stronger
    Breakaway
    Piece by piece
    All I ever wanted
    My December
    Thankful
  • MysteriousOzMysteriousOz Posts: 6,230
    Forum Member
    It's a great album, the only misstep for me is I Had A Dream (well that and the awful album cover,) the concept is good I just find some of lyrics a bit misguided and it's all a bit too, as Michael Cragg puts it, Jessie J-esque. I'd put it above her past two albums (excluding the wonderful Christmas album), will have to listen to all of her albums again to rank it properly, although nothing will top My December for me.

Nostalgic is the stand out track for me and needs to a single, with Piece by Piece (which has really grown on me, I think I really misjudged it on first listen) and Invincible not far behind. War Paint and Bad Reputation are up there as well. My stand out tracks usually change after a good few listens, but I can see my opinions on Nostalgic and Piece by Piece changing.

Prey much agree with most of what you have said (although the album cover is fine to me)

Im always amazed how critics say that My December was rubbish, it was a brilliant album IMO

Loving Warpain, Dance with me and Nostalgic - playing back to back. Overall top album
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,058
    Forum Member
    I LOVE the album. Especially Tightrope and Run Run Run. She has such a great voice :cry:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,058
    Forum Member
    Btw, it's strange to see the album getting a mixed critical reception.

Some sites are totally positive
    http://hopedope.net/review-kelly-clarkson-piece-piece/

And some are completely negative
    http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music/kelly-clarkson-piece-piece-weighed-production-article-1.2134483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    O.Michel wrote: »
    Btw, it's strange to see the album getting a mixed critical reception.

Some sites are totally positive
    http://hopedope.net/review-kelly-clarkson-piece-piece/

And some are completely negative
    http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music/kelly-clarkson-piece-piece-weighed-production-article-1.2134483

Whilst I don't agree with every comment, you can tell that the critic on the first review there has actually listened to the album properly, probably multiple times. On the second one, it seems like they may have listend to a handful of songs once, at most.
  • DirtyhippyDirtyhippy Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am a huge KC fan, let me just say that - but I have to agree with some critics - it is SO over produced, just too boomtastic for my ears. It appears to have a lot of layering and many instruments - ironically hardly any guitars though - which I think it actually needs.

I do like a few tracks notably RRR but there is a lot of filler (I have the "deluxe" version which is why it may be why I feel that way).

Lets hope it does well anyway.
  • MysteriousOzMysteriousOz Posts: 6,230
    Forum Member
    Im not hearing over production at all, im just hearing an album where the majority of songs I love.

Im definitely more of a singles person but literally she has so many songs that could be singles!
    Loving Nostalgic, Invincible, WarPaint, Dance with me. Let the tears fall, Good goes the bye!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im not hearing over production at all, im just hearing an album where the majority of songs I love.

Im definitely more of a singles person but literally she has so many songs that could be singles!
    Loving Nostalgic, Invincible, WarPaint, Dance with me. Let the tears fall, Good goes the bye!!

I'm with you, it doesn't sound over-produced to me either.

Nostalgic has to be a single!!!
  • Mark-AnthonyMark-Anthony Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    im loving this album! definitely a couple of tracks too long though-i think if she picks the right singles and releases a good five tracks this album really could be huge for her. I think it shows progression whilst still being a Kelly Clarkson album.