BREAKING: BT in bid to purchase EE rather than O2

Comments

• Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member
    JimothyD wrote: »
    The next Premier League TV price is going to be ludicrous.

It isn't already?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 490
    Forum Member
    4GEE from BTEE? :o
  • Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    JimothyD wrote: »
    Does anyone think BT are ultimately looking to take over Sky's dominate TV position with their recent esculations?

Be nice if they did as Sky have had the total monopoly for years if not decades.

Watch out for every dirty trick in the book from Sky thought if they feel threatened.
  • sethpetsethpet Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    All those newly refurb EE stores about to get a new coat of paint to become BT Stores then. No way they wont change the EE brand to BT and then make use of the EE retail estate as BT Stores to sell the full BT suite of offerings.

Spare a thought for the thousands of people though who tonight will know that they will be in a fight over the coming months to keep their jobs. The Job losses will inevitably run into the 000's as the companies come together.
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like they will be a host of complaints if this does go through. Which is hardly surprising! This could be tied up in red tape for a long time.....

Sky, Virgin and Vodafone have all hinted that they plan to oppose BT’s deal through the usual regulatory channels and appear to suggest that today’s move will give the fixed line giant too much market power. The operators are perhaps banking on the fact that similar regulatory pressure played a part in forcing BT to demerge Cellnet all those years ago, although today’s market is very different.

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2014/12/o2-uk-rejection-bt-confirms-ee-selected-aquisition-target.html
  • GrayburnGrayburn Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    preecey wrote: »

O2 is a pathetic network that is heavily reliant on its existing customer loyalty and exclusive perks such as Priority. The sad thing is that the vast majority of O2 customers either don't know that there are better networks out there, or they are none the wiser and assume that all networks are the same.

I've only been back on O2 for 4 months after having an 18 month affair with Three that I regret so the loyalty thing isn't true, I was with O2 prior to this though. As for Priority..hardly use it..

As for call & data performance I've no complaints, good reliable 4G where I live (Essex) and where I work (London).

It comes across like you've had a bad time with them and hold the same view that I have with Three?
  • Zee_BukhariZee_Bukhari Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grayburn wrote: »
    I've only been back on O2 for 4 months after having an 18 month affair with Three that I regret so the loyalty thing isn't true, I was with O2 prior to this though. As for Priority..hardly use it..

As for call & data performance I've no complaints, good reliable 4G where I live (Essex) and where I work (London).

It comes across like you've had a bad time with them and hold the same view that I have with Three?

O2's 4G network isn't bad where it's available, its their crumbling 3G network that is the problem.
  • Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    O2's 4G network isn't bad where it's available, its their crumbling 3G network that is the problem.

Where the 4G is available, the 3G should be ok as the backhaul is shared, so this will improve over time...
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where the 4G is available, the 3G should be ok as the backhaul is shared, so this will improve over time...

I think he meant where the upgrades have happened the network is decent but that is only a small portion of the network at moment rest is pretty piss poor for data.

I figured BT would choose EE better infrastructure by far. Had hoped Three was going to buy EE that would of faced a massive amount of regulatory concern though imagine this BT/EE will as well. Pretty safe bet that a joined company would have to give up some of its 2600MHz spectrum think a combined company would have 2x50MHz of it. Maybe EE would have to sell its Broadband Business to someone as well. I wonder if the combined company will use 4G fill in the last 5-10% BDUK is aiming for.

Hope Three buy O2 else I think both Three and O2 are going to struggle like hell at least a combined entity would have bigger revenue more spectrum imagine they would be allowed to buy the 2600MHz disposed by EE as well. Honestly buying O2 fits better with Three's plan of building a national 800MHz network. Sorting out Beacon and MBNL will be a massive job though.
  • M1kosM1kos Posts: 660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am disappointed that BT are going for Ee. I hope sky or someone else purchases o2 and not three. As Vodafone are finally getting their act together and I don't want the CTIL program impacted on
  • david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ofcom would surely rule that BT would be far too powerful if successful in a takeover of EE, and that owning all fixed line and mobile phone infrastructure in being gateholders of both fixed line and mobile in the process would be ridiculous.
  • GrayburnGrayburn Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    its their crumbling 3G network that is the problem.

True, thankfully i rarely use it when i see 3G as it's just not worth bothering with.
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Grayburn wrote: »

Most of the country can't get O2 4G and large amounts still can't get O2 3G, let alone the performance of their 3G network when you actually can get a signal, their bi-yearly massive outages and so on
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    moox wrote: »
    Most of the country can't get O2 4G and large amounts still can't get O2 3G, let alone the performance of their 3G network when you actually can get a signal, their bi-yearly massive outages and so on

Indeed. You only have to look at the various reports and tests published this year to see how far behind O2 and Vodafone are. They seem to perform well in London but elsewhere the situation is much worse with even 3G coverage still very patchy.
  • eljmayeseljmayes Posts: 1,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    david16 wrote: »
    Ofcom would surely rule that BT would be far too powerful if successful in a takeover of EE, and that owning all fixed line and mobile phone infrastructure in being gateholders of both fixed line and mobile in the process would be ridiculous.
    They will likely say that BT have to sell off their 2600 band allocation (likely to O2/Vodafone).
    Forum Member
    enapace wrote: »
    I think he meant where the upgrades have happened the network is decent but that is only a small portion of the network at moment rest is pretty piss poor for data.

I figured BT would choose EE better infrastructure by far. Had hoped Three was going to buy EE that would of faced a massive amount of regulatory concern though imagine this BT/EE will as well. Pretty safe bet that a joined company would have to give up some of its 2600MHz spectrum think a combined company would have 2x50MHz of it. Maybe EE would have to sell its Broadband Business to someone as well. I wonder if the combined company will use 4G fill in the last 5-10% BDUK is aiming for.

Three buying EE wouldn't have got out of the gate. EE already has significant market share/power allowing the merger of another network would reinforce that position. As far as the merger goes its fairly straight forward, I think BT will acknowledge that it will need to divest some spectrum and also transfer the broadband customers to another company or spin it out. They may even transfer them to plusnet, which is run very much as a separate business to the parent.

As someone else said BT and O2 are a better fit culturally, however that would have the problem of legacy troubles (lack of investment in the work etc). EE is pretty much ready to go, when they merged the two networks Orange was still run on this antiquated CSS billing system (I think it still is for remaining Orange customers), where as T-Mobile has a system with a friendly GUI and most importantly fit for purpose. That is the system being used now for those migrating across to EE or becoming a new customer. The merger would be relatively straight forward, BT could easily remedy the competition concerns as previously mentioned, the brand would easily slot into BT Groups businesses.
    david16 wrote: »

Although BT Group(s) own the majority of landline based infrastructure here, it is sandboxed under the Openreach devision. It is also regulated that way to ensure BT doesn't abuse its market position in favour or against any party including themselves. If the merger does go ahead then I would think it likely all of BT Wholesales fibre backhaul would transfer to Openreach thus mitigating any compeition concerns.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eljmayes wrote: »
    They will likely say that BT have to sell off their 2600 band allocation (likely to O2/Vodafone).

I agree with this but not to Vodafone as they already own 2x20MHz of FDDand 15MHz TDD in that band. Where as Three and O2 own none of the spectrum so expect it will need to be divest to one of them.
    Forum Member
    I agree with this but not to Vodafone as they already own 2x20MHz of FDDand 15MHz TDD in that band. Where as Three and O2 own none of the spectrum so expect it will need to be divest to one of them.

One would hoe that would be the most likely outcome. I don't think Three would necessarily be interested in 2600 seeing the issues they suffer in the 2100 range with building penetration. Plus they will be getting a bit more 1800 which will probably be OK in the short term.

O2 I think will be the most likely recipient, they have only a small amount of 4G spectrum, I should imagine if all goes to plan with any merger they would make the most use of 2600. O2 doesn't have a great deal of capacity with the spectrum ranges they have, 2600 will allow them to diversify and potentially add more ongoing.
  • RAN ManRAN Man Posts: 257
    Forum Member

Any divestment of Spectrum due to the takeover would likely be open to free market or an auction process. As such O2 would be the obvious buyers given their lack of Spectrum I would have thought, assuming Telefonica can find the money!
  • Zee_BukhariZee_Bukhari Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EE still has far too much 1800Mhz spectrum. They may need to get rid of some of that too.
  • binarybinary Posts: 699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Leaving aside the issue of Hutchison Whampoa possibly purchasing another network operator, I imagine Three UK will be watching the BT/EE negotiations carefully, given the somewhat enmeshed relationship of Three and EE through the MBNL joint venture and the two networks' site sharing arrangements.
  • Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    EE has lots of 1800 spectrum but remember that encompasses 2G and 4G together, so may not be counted the same by OFCOM.

I don't believe Hutch will buy O2
  • binarybinary Posts: 699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EE has lots of 1800 spectrum but remember that encompasses 2G and 4G together, so may not be counted the same by OFCOM.

I don't believe Hutch will buy O2

Yeah, I find it a bit hard to think they would too. The implications for the MBNL and Beacon tie-ups for one would be pretty complicated.

Re the spectrum - I thought Ofcom was taking a more technology neutral approach in terms of such matters, so whether 1800 is used for 2G or 4G wouldn't necessarily be relavent.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well whatever happens here I am leaving Three come January to EE sadly the loss of the One Plan plus there 4G Rollout plans has made me wonder if Three will manage to be a true competitor hasn't been an easy decision to make at all. I just don't think Three will have capacity with national 800MHz 5x5 isn't much at all and how there rollout has been this year has sowed me to them as well. I'm likely going end up with an iPhone 6 and just wait for EE to bring WiFI Calling and VoLTE which should work extremely well I know that is going happen on EE on Three not so much.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 490
    Forum Member
    Well whatever happens here I am leaving Three come January to EE sadly the loss of the One Plan plus there 4G Rollout plans has made me wonder if Three will manage to be a true competitor hasn't been an easy decision to make at all. I just don't think Three will have capacity with national 800MHz 5x5 isn't much at all and how there rollout has been this year has sowed me to them as well. I'm likely going end up with an iPhone 6 and just wait for EE to bring WiFI Calling and VoLTE which should work extremely well I know that is going happen on EE on Three not so much.

I made the move just over a week ago, for similar reasons (no 4G mainly) and haven't looked back.

I'm on the 10 gig SIM Only tariff and I've quickly begun to realise that although I had unlimited data and tethering, I actually used very little of either (I've used just over a gig in just over a week!).

Using 4G (which I get everywhere I go now) has been a real revelation on my iPhone 6, it's like night and day compared to 3G.

I always thought 3's service was good, but after using 4G there's no going back.