The Bridge BBC4 (UK pace) No spoilers!

Comments

• xynariaxynaria Posts: 24,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So how did the Henning's killer know he would be released from the basement ? As it looked as though Saif had been 'primed' to kill him...

I won't have time to rewatch till tomorrow but this was possibly the point at which I might have fallen out of love with The Bridge..it just seemed so unlikely
  • xynariaxynaria Posts: 24,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    digijunkie wrote: »
    Talking of which, it seems that subtitling has been the biggest issue here I think? People just have not been used to it.
    Unfortunately this is a big issue but then it always will be if we never actually get anything subtitled. I do think given decent exposure frequently enough would reduce that being an issue. I actually think 30 years ago we got more foreign films and drama than we do now..now that is just sad.
    When I watch British programs, like soaps type Coronation St and EastEnders, subtitled in Finnish they are full of mistakes and I end up screaming at the screen, lol. They don't get many of the local slang and dialect words and concepts sometimes at all, but of course it does not usually matter much in the understanding of the whole plot.
    And you even get emmerydale don't you LOL It might be fun if we started getting a Finnish soap over here in exchange...are they really all about dwinking? :D;)
  • The TurkThe Turk Posts: 5,148
    Forum Member
    I wonder if you noticed, even the perpetrator asked the Swedish reporter during their first call whether he could understand his Danish, as he does not sound like a local from Malmö and the Danes know there might be misunderstandings as well. In real life it does not go quite as smoothly as in the drama in my experience anyway :)
    Oh yeah I remember that! I can imagine the language difference is more of a barrier in real life. As you say though, Danish and Swedish aren't a million miles from each other and the Swedes in Skania province in particular can understand Danes well and vice-versa. Nonetheless, I was still expecting more misunderstandings and loads of dialogue along the lines of "Sorry, can you repeat that in Swedish/Danish, please?":D
    Edit and now that I think of it, none of the Swedes in The Bridge seem to have a distinctive Malmö dialect at all! It is quite different from standard Swedish and I remember Swedes from Stockholm for example deriding people from that district as "bloody half-Danes" :p Of course the historical province of Scania was actually part of Denmark until 1658.
    lol:D Looks like the producers didn't hire too many locals! We've had similar problems here.
    Out of curiosity, is it quite common for Finns to be able to speak Swedish or are you in a minority there? Can many Swedes speak Finnish? Do Swedes living in western Finland speak Finnish or do they cling stubbornly to just Swedish?:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FranklinJ wrote: »
    Interesting BK.....so that rules Anton out as being the man in the white car with the police scanner radio.

Yep.

We have TT(the guy in contact with Daniel) and NoOne, the guy we keep seeing doing the dirty work- kicking Martin in the Balls, and killing Anja etc.

Anton was with Saga when she got the call. So he can't be NoOne.

Saga thinks this is the work of one man, acting alone. She thinks it is all personal. And the five point plan is just a smokescreen. So she has TT & NoOne as the same guy. Martin thinks it is more than one guy doing the killings. They say this when they see the profiler, Sebastian.

So do you go with Saga and her cold logic. Or go with Martin and his gut instinct?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    I keep coming back to this Bo character. Danish, police, right build, dodgy. What more do we want? Except to know him better.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    RIP Anja... :(

Fantastiska episoder! Behöver du mer nu ...

Now all I am waiting for is for Martin and August to get Saga into bed together... after all they are Scandinavian’s! (Whoops did I say that out loud?) :p

Did anyone else spot the scarf August was wearing when he was talking to Martin outside Saga’s apartment? Black and white chequered scarf, and as he stood there, you saw the blue eyes and brown hair... (Re what Lasse was saying in his police interview?) Is TT deliberately trying to make out August is the killer! :eek:

I am presuming the leak about Anja being missing came from August talking to Frida online! :rolleyes:

As for Saif, I suspect TT was always expecting Henning to be released, perhaps Saif is like his brother not a fighter... after all the police beat him up and killed him, and I get the gist he was a normal average guy and no criminal!

Love Martin shouting at Saga, although I wanted to slap him... and when he slept with Charlotte, I was thinking you complete ****** Martin!

Hur många timmar förrän nästa lördag kväll? (How many hours until the next Saturday night?)

Vi ses, god natt! :yawn:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    xynaria wrote: »
    I won't have time to rewatch till tomorrow but this was possibly the point at which I might have fallen out of love with The Bridge..it just seemed so unlikely

Maybe the basement room was bugged? TT had set it up for Saif to get in there, with the key. Considering he made a mistake with Bjorn. Didn't expect the developers to cough up. Maybe he was keeping an eye on the basement situation. In case it didn't go as planned.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I keep coming back to this Bo character. Danish, police, right build, dodgy. What more do we want? Except to know him better.

Bo is the right build and height I think. Have we seen our killer(s)? Or is it too early.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    Episode 5 = brilliant
    Episode 6 = decent (but great compared to most shows episodes)

Anja, really was sad but then again she wasnt really central to the plot and just another loose end for TT to tie up; its obvious that August is the leak and the info is coming to Frida via him. Although the end assumption that the TT could be a police officer leads me to think that he would have access to that info anyway and Frida online might just be a red-herring; plus he had a police radio in his car when he went to kill Anja. Bring on next Saturday.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    Bo is the right build and height I think. Have we seen our killer(s)? Or is it too early.

Too early? Too late if anything. I thought that i was accepted practice in the genre that we meet the perp early.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Too early? Too late if anything. I thought that i was accepted practice in the genre that we meet the perp early.

Just covering my back;)

Done a rewatch. Time for bed.

Saif said something interesting when Martin was pressing him in the interview room. When his brother was killed by the cops no one was interested. But when a cop was killed everyone was working flat out to catch the killer. Point four was supposed to be about immigrants being treated unequally. But for me it was more about cops, and bent cops for that matter. Or maybe that is the cider talking.

Night all:):)
  • flowerduckflowerduck Posts: 1,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't got anything particulaly inspired to add and it has all probably been said ages ago but the key for me was the recording the actor did in previous episodes and the exceptional long term planning from TT...

If this was done over 3 years ago and pointed to the murder of the prostitute Monique almost a year and a half later and also said the case lasted 2 weeks, it has to be someone in the know of the police or who has influence over what cases are shelved or maybe I am being a bit naive. Plus when Saga was reading about it in that episode she said something like the case was meant to be shelved and she was surprised it took as long as 2 weeks. I'm not sure if that would be natural procedure though or whether she noticed something odd about it..it just struck me as odd when I re-watched the other day...
  • abrightyzabrightyz Posts: 24,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah-ha!

Why didn't Saga press the crash call button... Why weren't the staff monitoring Anja's monitor from the ward... Where were the doctors when the ECG stopped...[asks the former nurse] :D

basically, why did she take off her oxygen, lolz?:eek:

and why didn't they try to resuscitate her? is she-- a teener with traumatic wound injury-- nor for resuscitation??:eek:

when anja asked: will i die?

my mind said: you will now she took off your 02...
  • digijunkiedigijunkie Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member
    The Turk wrote: »
    You've done very well to be able to speak Swedish as a Finn. Reading Finnish words I can see your language doesn't seem to be anything like any of the other Scandinavian languages so it must've been a quite a hard language to learn. Is it fair to say Finns are Scandinavian by name but not by nature? ;)

I can excuse the Finns talking in English to the Norwegians, Swedes and Danes but I'm surprised about the Icelandics. Is Icelandic more different from the other Scandinavian languages so there's more of a language barrier?

Factually us Finns are not properly Scandinavian even by name! Hence the term "Nordic" that is supposed to be the correct one to include Iceland and Finland. But of course Scandinavia is used in the same sense at least in the UK.

Icelandic is a very old language, I think it is close what most Scandinavians would have been speaking at some point, but today it is probably almost impossible to understand even if you are fluent in one of the others. At least that is my understanding, maybe the Swedes here can confirm how they feel about it.

Out of curiosity, is it quite common for Finns to be able to speak Swedish or are you in a minority there? Can many Swedes speak Finnish? Do Swedes living in western Finland speak Finnish or do they cling stubbornly to just Swedish?

About 6 % haver Swedish as their first language and there are some areas in Finland that are totally Swedish speaking, like the Åland Islands. Everybody learns some Swedish at school and it is a mandatory subject to all. You also will be tested for Swedish skills to hold certain government jobs. It is not a popular subject though, and most Finnish speaking Finns think the mandatory Swedish is an unnecessary relic from when the country was ruled by Sweden. So many will not have very good skills even if they have done the mandatory school Swedish as they are not motivated to learn it, They think why bother when English is spoken by all the Scandis anyway.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finland_Swedish

There are loads of people with Finnish roots in Sweden, about a million I think, there was a mass emigration there up until the 70s. Some of my family also moved there and that may be the reason I learned the language so well, as was visiting them regularly!

British TV has been huge on all the Nordic TV channels, we used to get every possible UK show back there, so maybe it is only fair that the balance is now turning a little bit at least. The public broadcasters are also very much modelled after the BBC in Finland, Sweden, Norway and Denmark. You might have noticed all these Scandi dramas are usually co-produced with the neighbours, and there is even a body called Nordvision, a sort of mini-Eurovision network, they have been involved in making Borgen at least.

Finnish soaps... hmmm not actually following any as have been here in the UK for so long now, but they seem to be more of the Australian or Hollyoaks variety with loads of young people,,, of course there will be drinking involved, very little happens in Finland without drink being involved :D

Sorry for the off-topic, we can hope that some Finnish drama also finds its way to the UK channels one day, the quality is definitely there as well :D
  • abrightyzabrightyz Posts: 24,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    linfran wrote: »
    The schizophrenic guy whose flat Anja had been staying in, said his contact was tall, blue eyes, with a check coat and scarf. Too obvious, surely, that the description fits the newspaper guy, whose name I can't remember as I write.

ake...
  • Andy-BAndy-B Posts: 6,800
    Forum Member
    At least Louise Mensch has woken up in hospital now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 312
    Forum Member
    abrightyz wrote: »
    basically, why did she take off her oxygen, lolz?:eek:

and why didn't they try to resuscitate her? is she-- a teener with traumatic wound injury-- nor for resuscitation??:eek:

when anja asked: will i die?

my mind said: you will now she took off your 02...

The drama of the bad parents losing there child and the politi losing their insight into what happened at the flat.
    Anja had to die. so sad though
  • toodeeptoodeep Posts: 174
    Forum Member
    I noticed the subtitles ballooning at one point: did the BBC overscan to hide something at the edge of the picture?
    Forum Member
    We know why Stefan had the wine box and it seems if he is not TT he certainly could be in bed with TT objectively and has the same beliefs for the five wrongs being addressed.

It also seems omnipresence and long term planning are required for this super-villain

Martin is finally knocked off his game with guilt and it is causing him problems at work. I look for him to stumble into another death experience with TT

Saga, also, is showing cracks in her skills at this point. I look for a conflict that swerves her into a revelation. Perhaps involving August.

I also expect a woman to be, if not the TT then the no one or a compatriot in the group.

I will edit this after a re-watch, :p :rolleyes: :o
    Forum Member
    BY THE WAY

Tak to the hint about Swedish is more sing-song, it works :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    Loved last nights eps and have just re-watched this morning to help with anything I missed.

Did anyone clock this mysterious 'priest' that was mentioned by Stefan??? I wonder if that will be taken any further - he could be TT/No-one.

Loved the way Martin was challenged by his double standards re having a 'sly one' with Charlotte against him getting all huffy when Saga slept with his son!!! (at least Saga isn't married!)

The outward opening doors are still fascinating me too - I wonder how many broken noses they are responsible for per year! lol!

Can't wait for next Sat!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    Just watched the first half , so I haven't read any comments as yet , but Saga was in full Aspergers mode. When that chap at the night club said " we've met before " she says " Yes , we had sex" And she just about got the joke about arresting every man with size nine feet. Great stuff . And August is seriously smitten.

Not sure of the motive for Stefan killing that man, who was he ? and where is his body. He'll have to move it at some stage.

I shall now look at part two and some of this will be revealed no doubt, and then I can read all the thread.
  • newkid30newkid30 Posts: 7,797
    Forum Member
    Dieing for next week already. :D
    Poor Anja, I didn't think she would die.
    I thought Thomas having sex with Charlotte was stupid. What did that add to the plot? I didn't even get the whole taking the wig off and then they were in bed together? Is that some sort of come on? :confused:

Besides that, I'm thinking that August is a bit of a red herring, perhaps TT is just hacking the blog between August and his friend, but is not in direct contact with them? I am more intrigued as to Louise being awake in hospital, I want to learn more about the past of her and her brother. How did they get those scars on their arms, I think that's why he might be still involved.
    I think it's more than one person. There I've said it, so I'm probably wrong.
  • the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    david1955 wrote: »
    Just watched the first half , so I haven't read any comments as yet , but Saga was in full Aspergers mode. When that chap at the night club said " we've met before " she says " Yes , we had sex"

Yes I had to laugh when she said that!
  • the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    About 6 % haver Swedish as their first language and there are some areas in Finland that are totally Swedish speaking, like the Åland Islands. Everybody learns some Swedish at school and it is a mandatory subject to all. You also will be tested for Swedish skills to hold certain government jobs. It is not a popular subject though, and most Finnish speaking Finns think the mandatory Swedish is an unnecessary relic from when the country was ruled by Sweden. So many will not have very good skills even if they have done the mandatory school Swedish as they are not motivated to learn it, They think why bother when English is spoken by all the Scandis anyway.

There are some amusing (and informative for us Brits) comics about this on the Scandinavia and the World site:

http://satwcomic.com/smalltalk

http://satwcomic.com/make-a-good-impression

This one is more general:

http://satwcomic.com/how-the-north-works

:)