Official Snooker Thread (Part 4)

Comments

• Terrence ChantTerrence Chant Posts: 1,331,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Advani v Swail looks like a late finish, 7-7 at present...
  • BarracuteBarracute Posts: 242,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Advani v Swail looks like a late finish, 7-7 at present...

definitely - 7-8 to Joe now and could be 8-8. Would like to see Joe do well as he came through the pre qualifiers
  • clarky323clarky323 Posts: 10,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Barracute wrote: »
    definitely - 7-8 to Joe now and could be 8-8. Would like to see Joe do well as he came through the pre qualifiers

yeah same here, Advani a good player though, got to a Quarter Final recently of course.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Joe 9-8 up. Who needs sleep?
  • TungstenTungsten Posts: 2,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Swail prevails 10-8.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Joe through 10-8. Terrific tactical tussle.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yeah well done to Joe!! that's 4 matches he's won so far, would it be the most games played to qualify ever if he was to make it to Sheffield?

also, he made his 100th career century the other day and of course is back on tour next season!! good to see him on his way back!!
  • zawtowerszawtowers Posts: 1,453
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark Allen's at it again:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/snooker/22013930

Although I suspect basing some of the season wholly in Asia instead of going back and forward may have some mileage?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "There will be 128 players starting next season but three or four months later that will be down to under 100.
    "Six months in and that could be down to 64, because so many people won't be able to fork out for expenses."
    Are they increasing the number of pros to 128 next season then? Because it's 99 at present. Either way, can't see it dropping to 64 like he fears.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are they increasing the number of pros to 128 next season then? Because it's 99 at present. Either way, can't see it dropping to 64 like he fears.

yeah I knew that ages ago (surprised you didn't!!), they announced a couple of seasons ago I think, thats why last season all players had two-year tour cards...so no one drops of tour this season and all the new players will make it up to 128.

where was that quoted from? is it Dave Hendon's blog?

EDIT: I've just realized its from the above story...ignore the above sentence :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    clarky323 wrote: »
    yeah I knew that ages ago (surprised you didn't!!), they announced a couple of seasons ago I think, thats why last season all players had two-year tour cards...so no one drops of tour this season and all the new players will make it up to 128.
    Ah yes, as soon as you said that last bit the fog cleared. I'd forget me rest head if it wasn't screwed on :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jimmy White is playing tonight - currently leads Tian Pengfei 6-5 (was 4-5 down after the morning session) good start hope he can keep it up !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jimmy White is playing tonight - currently leads Tian Pengfei 6-5 (was 4-5 down after the morning session) good start hope he can keep it up !

yeah won 4 frames in a row this evening and now leads 8-5.

don't want to be curse or anything but the last time that Jimmy White won two matches in the World Championship was 13 years ago! :eek:

so IF he was to win tonight, don't put your house on him to beat Xiao ;)
  • JSemple3JSemple3 Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    8-6 now (well will be 8-6)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    130 total clearance by Jimmy to go 9-7 up....you never lose it :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jimmy through, Xiao Guodong next.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    130 total clearance by Jimmy to go 9-7 up....you never lose it :cool:

Yep, he's still go it hasn't he :confused::D Highest break in the Qualies so far

Well done Jimmy on a 10-7 success :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    clarky323 wrote: »
    yeah won 4 frames in a row this evening and now leads 8-5.

don't want to be curse or anything but the last time that Jimmy White won two matches in the World Championship was 13 years ago! :eek:

so IF he was to win tonight, don't put your house on him to beat Xiao ;)

13 years :confused::eek: Blimey!
    No - i dont expect him to win his next match :o
  • Xavier QuebeckXavier Quebeck Posts: 78,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like Jimmy is taking his practice form to the match table.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another name from the past also won tonight - James Wattana beat Michael Wasley 10-7, i like to see these former top names still playing and getting the occasional win:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No repeat visit to the Crucible for Yupeng, lost to former Crucible qualifier Zhang Anda 10-7.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Word is that the case against Lee v Higgins in the Premier League which triggered the investigation into Stephen will be dropped. Nonetheless, he still has a case to answer as regards other match fixing allegations dating back to 2008 and 2009.

It does seen a bit suspect that an 'innocent' match should precipitate misdemeanours that presumably would have been left under the carpet....
  • HaydenHayden Posts: 32,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another name from the past also won tonight - James Wattana beat Michael Wasley 10-7, i like to see these former top names still playing and getting the occasional win:)

I make an exception for the legend that is Jimmy White but generally I'd rather see new young players coming through rather than the Kings/ Perrys /Wattanas meandering through a couple of rounds every year.
  • zawtowerszawtowers Posts: 1,453
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hayden wrote: »
    I make an exception for the legend that is Jimmy White but generally I'd rather see new young players coming through rather than the Kings/ Perrys /Wattanas meandering through a couple of rounds every year.

They've still got to be good enough to get through the qualifiers though.

I think that the top 128 shake up as of the start of next season might work in their favour - more chances to play competitive games and try and make a run through the tournament - Pankaj Advani's recent Welsh Open run being a case in point.
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is anyone going to the Legends at the Crucible on Thursday? I had forgotten all about it and forgotten to sort out tickets, but thankfully remembered in time, so I'm going. Buying tickets made me laugh - there was a pop up saying RONNIE O'SULLIVAN IS NOT APPEARING and I had to tick to say I understood.
This discussion has been closed.