Options

2nd national DAB multiplex finally re advertised

Comments

• Options
    AliAsteriskAliAsterisk Posts: 109
    Forum Member
    hanssolo wrote: »
    From the last bids
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/media/news/a44595/channel-4-ngw-bid-for-dab-multiplex.html#~oIMeR25tfTBcbS
    E4 Radio (youthful interactive entertainment); Unlikely
    Channel 4 Radio (contemporary public service speech); Unlikely
    Pure4 (intelligent contemporary adult); Unlikely
    Talk Radio (UTV - news, views and entertainment); possible
    Closer (EMAP - female adult contemporary, celebrity and lifestyle); possible
    Sky News Radio; possible
    Sunrise Radio; Unlikely
    Virgin Radio Viva (SMG - female-friendly pop with attitude); Unlikely
    Original (CanWest - adult album alternative); Unlikely
    Radio Disney.Unlikely
    and podcast service Unlikely
    But if Sky are closing Sky sports radio unlikely to put Sky radio news on DAB?
    Also possible
    Heat? Kerrang? in stereo?
    Absolute 60's and 00's, Absolute 80s, to go back to stereo and make space on D1 for some D1 stations to go back to stereo?
    Gold, Arrow and Chill in stereo?
    UCB inspirational?
    WS and Asian NW to create space on BBC mux
    Jazz FM in stereo?
    Return of Virgin UK in stereo?

I'd safely say we can expect a few existing stations from Bauer on D2, in particular Kerrang! and The Hits which if I remember correctly are two of the most listened to digital only stations in The UK? So I'd imagine it would be in their interests to make them fully national like they did with Kiss.

As for the Absolute stations, I'd doubt it. I can't imagine all of the decade stations lasting much longer (with the exception of 80's) but if they were to move things around on D1 it would be great to have Absolute 80's back in stereo!

Hopefully we'll see a few new stations on D2 though, like some of the ones on the previous application such as Sky News Radio or even Radio Disney as there isn't really much competition with that demographic, especially nationally.
  • Options
    Gerry1Gerry1 Posts: 4,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem is, we'll have a situation as we have now, another multiplex full of DAB services with no opportunity for an orderly transition to DAB+ and the continuing arguments I mentioned above which will stop DAB+ introduction in its tracks.
    I fear you may well be correct, the dead hand of Ofcom will stifle any innovation and kill DAB+ stone dead. Similarly, the long awaited Digital Tick scheme still seems to be going nowhere, just like most DAB initiatives and predictions.

I suspect that the first DAB+ stations may be religious or ethnic ones that will use 24kbit/s or 32kbit/s: they will have more of a 'captive audience' more amenable to upgrading. This would allow existing stations to reduce their overheads significantly, and encourage new start-ups that could not afford DAB.

Unfortunately, minority stations won't do much to boost DAB+'s general appeal.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    DigMorris wrote: »
    Well, DAB+ is now seriously considered to be an option in the UK. Ofcom tested DAB+ in Brighton, it is explicitly mentioned in the 2nd DAB Multiplex advertisement (previously it would fall under the 30% data clause) and DAB+ support has been made compulsory to meet the Digital Radio Tick requirements.

Considering DAB+ appears to be seen as having a future in the UK by the powers that be, I wonder if Ofcom might think it could be too successful too quickly. 30% means there is room for a number of good quality DAB+ stations but it wouldn't disenfranchise over 10 million people with a DAB-only radio.

Perhaps this is an easy-does-it approach for the benefit of listeners. A maximum of 30% now. In a few years when millions of new receivers supporting DAB+ have been sold (a million a year in cars alone) they might move to 60% or scrap it altogether.

It could also be an easy-does-it approach for the benefit of the infrastructure competition. If this second multiplex is not exploited by Arqiva this sudden pro-DAB+ change might hurt their business. By allowing Arqiva to adapt to the possibility of distributing DAB+ (they could now start offering stations a DAB+ slot using the 30% data clause) they guarantee that the market remains somewhat healthy.

Both Norway and Denmark are moving towards an interim mixed DAB/DAB+ system with a view to a long term DAB+ system and what's helping that transition is the availability of combined DAB+/DAB radios which really ought to be mandatory in the UK*. If that's to happen in the UK too then the government and broadcasting regulator should be more proactive in this respect.

*(Sources = http://no.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Audio_Broadcasting http://radio.no/digitalisering/dab-vs-dab/ http://www.dr.dk/OmDR/digitalradio/Hjaelp/Spoergsmaal_og_svar/20110314094319.htm
  • Options
    graemehardmangraemehardman Posts: 55
    Forum Member
    Along with the advertisement, there is a list of 'co-ordinated' transmitters for 11A which presumably will form the backbone of the coverage of D2.

I understand that the coverage is limited by adjoining MUXs on the same frequency, but is there a projected coverage map available yet? Looking at the list of transmitters, it appears that coverage in SW England will be sketchy to say the least!
  • Options
    dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hanssolo wrote: »
    From the last bids
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/media/news/a44595/channel-4-ngw-bid-for-dab-multiplex.html#~oIMeR25tfTBcbS
    E4 Radio (youthful interactive entertainment); Unlikely
    Channel 4 Radio (contemporary public service speech); Unlikely
    Pure4 (intelligent contemporary adult); Unlikely
    Talk Radio (UTV - news, views and entertainment); possible
    Closer (EMAP - female adult contemporary, celebrity and lifestyle); possible
    Sky News Radio; possible
    Sunrise Radio; Unlikely
    Virgin Radio Viva (SMG - female-friendly pop with attitude); Unlikely
    Original (CanWest - adult album alternative); Unlikely
    Radio Disney.Unlikely
    and podcast service Unlikely<snip>

To be honest I can't see any of the 4Digital proposed services being revived for this multiplex.

Out of the possibles above I can't see UTV wanting to revive Talk Radio this time. Mainly because of LBC on D1 but also because at the time of 4Digital's application there was non-sport stuff on talkSPORT so it made sense. I could see Bauer putting Magic or heat on D2 rather than starting Closer. Sky News Radio would be good but I can't see Sky going alone and is there a partner who would be interested?
    <snip>
    WS and Asian NW to create space on BBC mux
    <snip>

With its recent cuts I can't see the BBC spending money on having their services carried on other multiplexs when they don't need to.
  • Options
    david1956david1956 Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SouthCity wrote: »
    It's difficult to see how the market is going to support another 14 national vanilla-DAB stations (mainly in mono).

Some of them could be the Absolute decade stations but I can't see where the others are coming from if they are relying on advertising to fund them.

My thoughts too. I wonder if there will be many applicants to run D2.
  • Options
    DigMorrisDigMorris Posts: 451
    Forum Member
    Both Norway and Denmark are moving towards an interim mixed DAB/DAB+ system with a view to a long term DAB+ system and what's helping that transition is the availability of combined DAB+/DAB radios which really ought to be mandatory in the UK*. If that's to happen in the UK too then the government and broadcasting regulator should be more proactive in this respect.

*(Sources = http://no.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Audio_Broadcasting http://radio.no/digitalisering/dab-vs-dab/ http://www.dr.dk/OmDR/digitalradio/Hjaelp/Spoergsmaal_og_svar/20110314094319.htm

I am not convinced it needs to be mandatory to allow a radio to be sold. DAB+ support is mandatory in the Digital Radio Tick scheme set to launch later this year. Being Digital Radio Tick compliant is not mandatory but I don't see that as a problem.

If the consumer knows to look out for a Digital Radio Tick compliant radio because the campaign/savvy nephew/common sense has told them it's what they need to look out for it would be commercial suicide for a radio manufacturer not to comply. Especially considering all their DAB parts support DAB+ anyway so all they need is to pay a small licensing fee and stop disabling DAB+ on their radios. The effort is minimal, the reward is substantial.

The fact that the government has made DAB+ mandatory in the Digital Radio Tick scheme shows that they are serious about it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    SouthCity wrote: »
    It's difficult to see how the market is going to support another 14 national vanilla-DAB stations (mainly in mono).

Some of them could be the Absolute decade stations but I can't see where the others are coming from if they are relying on advertising to fund them.

Well, from the looks of it the market is going to be different from early next year. The current selection of stations is a function of the current market. If the market changes so will the stations.

It is expected that getting a station onto D2 is going to be cheaper than D1. Firstly because D2 the coverage is expected to be less than D1, likely more in the 70% than the 90+% range. It could easily half distribution cost for the infrastructure provider if the goal is 70% instead of 90%. Secondly, if a station decides to use DAB+ the increased efficiency means they'd have to pay for considerably less capacity. Thirdly, the increased efficiency of DAB+ means more stations fit in the same space, most stations to share the fixed cost.

These lower prices change the market considerably, whether ad-funded or not.

- A new talk radio station could reach 70% of the country with 24 kb/s mono and sound good.
    - An existing local/regional station could take the plunge and see if they can make it work nationally. There are plenty on the local London muxes that would be of interest to a national audience.
    - An existing internet-only station might want to give it a try if the cost has plunged.
    - Groups or individuals that wanted to start a radio station but could never make the sums work could suddenly see it work.
    - Groups such as RTL or Lagardère might want to enter the British market.
    etc. etc.

In short, I don't think you should just see this as more capacity for existing stations.
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The important thing is that manufacturers stop selling sets with DAB+ enabled in some territories but not the UK. When I bought my Pure Move 400D it was sold by John Lewis as a DAB set, listed by Pure as DAB in the UK and DAB+ in other markets, but in reality was DAB/DAB+ out of the box. That kind of confusion needs to be knocked on the head.

The box and advertising should make it absolutely clear whether a set is DAB+ or not.

edit: I mean it should say it in clear English on the packaging, not in small print in the manual. The "digital tick" is a good idea but should be in addition to clear wording, not instead of it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Inkblot wrote: »
    The important thing is that manufacturers stop selling sets with DAB+ enabled in some territories but not the UK. When I bought my Pure Move 400D it was sold by John Lewis as a DAB set, listed by Pure as DAB in the UK and DAB+ in other markets, but in reality was DAB/DAB+ out of the box. That kind of confusion needs to be knocked on the head.

The box and advertising should make it absolutely clear whether a set is DAB+ or not.

I agree that Pure's position on DAB+ has become increasingly confusing. I have a feeling the cost of disabling DAB+ and having special DAB-only marketing assets for just one country has overtaken the cost of getting the AAC+ license on some product lines. Which is why they have stopped disabling it on some models but saw no point in telling people about it (that in itself carries a cost).

Considering Pure have been awarded Digital Radio Tick approval a few weeks ago I expect this situation to be resolved before the end of the year...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Here is an article with "10 things to know about the "Digital 2" DAB multiplex".

Most of these 10 things will not be news to many here but it does have an interesting list with transmitter sites that are cleared for use by D2.

I am wondering, however, whether they couldn't have opted for a better frequency than 11A. Because that is also cleared in neighbouring countries coverage around the coast in the South East will be patchier than in the rest of the country. Would it have been that hard to sort this out in international coordination?
  • Options
    Jonathan1990Jonathan1990 Posts: 1,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember back in mid 2000s when I bought a DAB Radio in Huddersfield and tried it out and picked up a D2 signal on block 11A. I don't think I could listen to any of the stations on it though. I do know that it no longer could pick it up in York and North Yorkshire. Maybe just West Yorkshire could get it from Emley Moore or something but it was encrypted.
  • Options
    -ajm--ajm- Posts: 5,879
    Forum Member
    I am wondering, however, whether they couldn't have opted for a better frequency than 11A. Because that is also cleared in neighbouring countries coverage around the coast in the South East will be patchier than in the rest of the country. Would it have been that hard to sort this out in international coordination?

should be ok in South Hampshire, Portsdown Hill, Toothill and Chillerton are listed.
  • Options
    mjdj1689mjdj1689 Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there a list of what transmitters will be used for the multiplex anywhere ?

Thanx
  • Options
    bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mjdj1689 wrote: »
    Is there a list of what transmitters will be used for the multiplex anywhere ?

Thanx

post #37 link has a list of sites
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... coverage around the coast in the South East will be patchier than in the rest of the country.
    D'oh ! They've forgotten Wrotham !
  • Options
    OrangyOrangy Posts: 1,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gerry1 wrote: »
    D'oh ! They've forgotten Wrotham !

Was about to post the same thing! I noticed it was missing, despite Faversham, Bluebell Hill and Tunbridge Wells being listed as surrounding TX sites. I can understand that Wrotham might have to be limited directionally, height or power, but it is a notable TX lacking from the list which plays an important part in coverage throughout East Surrey, West Kent, a bit of Sussex and south east London.

Then again, Ofcom mixed up the London I, II and III listings in the appendix, so they've hardly been doubling down on errors.

Interesting that Turners Hill and Crawley are both listed. I'd have thought East Grinstead and Crawley would work well together as EG is already a BBC planned site.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Orangy wrote: »
    Was about to post the same thing! I noticed it was missing, despite Faversham, Bluebell Hill and Tunbridge Wells being listed as surrounding TX sites. I can understand that Wrotham might have to be limited directionally, height or power, but it is a notable TX lacking from the list which plays an important part in coverage throughout East Surrey, West Kent, a bit of Sussex and south east London.

Then again, Ofcom mixed up the London I, II and III listings in the appendix, so they've hardly been doubling down on errors.

Being a major site and relatively close to France I can imagine they haven't just forgotten it. It's probably not on the 'cleared for use' list yet because it can only be used after the D2 operator and Ofcom agree on an antenna diagram and ERP.
  • Options
    OrangyOrangy Posts: 1,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Being a major site and relatively close to France I can imagine they haven't just forgotten it. It's probably not on the 'cleared for use' list yet because it can only be used after the D2 operator and Ofcom agree on an antenna diagram and ERP.

Fair point. However Bluebell Hill, Faversham and Tunbridge Wells, Turners Hill are all closer to France. Like I say, a different antenna array might be required.

I'm sure we'll see what happens in due course, heck it'll probably be 18-24 months before we even get D2 on-air.
  • Options
    SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Orangy wrote: »
    Fair point. However Bluebell Hill, Faversham and Tunbridge Wells, Turners Hill are all closer to France. Like I say, a different antenna array might be required.

I'm sure we'll see what happens in due course, heck it'll probably be 18-24 months before we even get D2 on-air.

As I understand it none of the 11A allocations in Belgium, northern France or Ireland are being used. It's possible that they may waive their rights to these by negotiation.

I would say the chances of the Cork regional DAB mux ever getting on-air are very slim.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    I am not convinced it needs to be mandatory to allow a radio to be sold. DAB+ support is mandatory in the Digital Radio Tick scheme set to launch later this year. Being Digital Radio Tick compliant is not mandatory but I don't see that as a problem.

If the consumer knows to look out for a Digital Radio Tick compliant radio because the campaign/savvy nephew/common sense has told them it's what they need to look out for it would be commercial suicide for a radio manufacturer not to comply. Especially considering all their DAB parts support DAB+ anyway so all they need is to pay a small licensing fee and stop disabling DAB+ on their radios. The effort is minimal, the reward is substantial.

The fact that the government has made DAB+ mandatory in the Digital Radio Tick scheme shows that they are serious about it.

Actually, I'd love to see it mandatory in respect of both domestic and car radios sold in the UK which enable full compatibility with the rest of Europe so that, for example, your DAB/BAB+ in car radio would work in the UK and on the road journey to the south of France.

Furthermore, it would also smooth the path as it were for any future gradual transition to a DAB+ system in the UK.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually, I'd love to see it mandatory in respect of both domestic and car radios sold in the UK...
    You'd be banning most mobile phones and MP3 players, not to mention communications receivers and scanners ! :o
  • Options
    david1956david1956 Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kev wrote: »

Does anyone seriously think this is going to fly.

There is no demand from listeners. There is no interest from the radio groups. The next recession is eighteen months away.
  • Options
    kevkev Posts: 21,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    david1956 wrote: »
    Does anyone seriously think this is going to fly.

There is no demand from listeners. There is no interest from the radio groups. The next recession is eighteen months away.
    The reason it's being advertised is because the radio groups want it. Bauer especially look to be after additional capacity.

I wouldn't be surprised to see many of the secondary / smaller stations on Digital 1 move to Digital 2 which ends up with a smaller coverage area, with the main brands on Digital 1. (I wonder if some hybrid arrangement will be considered for rural-Wales - e.g. no Digital 2, but Digital 2 buys a block of capacity on the MuxCo multiplexes for a few years for those services which want better coverage / everything in Mono - i.e. cover the population quickly, and extend to Wales in a few years time).

I also wouldn't be surprised to see some of the tertiary stations from the big brands going DAB+ - e.g. BBC World Service Arabic and Absolute Radio 00s - i.e. baby steps to show that the industry is going DAB+ and the manufacturers need to start supporting it, but not enough to be a big impact initially.
  • Options
    mjdj1689mjdj1689 Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder why Holme Moss or Suttons Common are not on the transmitters list , seems a bit strange ?